The Official Grimsby Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Methylenedioxymethamphetamine "for all your wild optimism needs") | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Official Grimsby Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Methylenedioxymethamphetamine "for all your wild optimism needs")

I'd consider it harsh to bin Clem prior to next season, that said I've not been bowled over from a management perspective to date. There's definitely room for improvement and given the opportunity to make the side his own in the summer, anything less than a roaring start next season would probably be the end for him.

I’m not really sure what all the negativity is about. That was a really good game ! The main thing that was missing was any composure near the opponents net. Mahoney on 3 occasions, Hawkins and Ogie all could have won it. Whether we make the play offs (unlikely) or not, this really was much more the sort of football I’d prefer to see. We had runners with the ball and some fluid moves. In a lot of games, that’s all we’ve been asking for.

All this sleeping giant and i fell in love crap makes me sick. Cynical marketing designed to emotionally manipulate people.

* PHONE RINGS *

" Hello this is the Samaritans , how can I help you? "

" Hi.. I don't know where to start really but I'm being emotionally manipulated "

" OK you're really brave to take this step, is it from a controlling partner? Take your time this a safe space "

" No I'm happily married but I'm the victim of a social media hashtag that resulted in me buying a season ticket for the football team I support. I can't believe they've done this to me... "

I thought it was a decent performance and can’t fault the effort the players put in, Grimsby came for a point and were well organised (exactly as they should be in their position), so fair play to them.

I liked the five in midfield, definitely think it worked better than five at the back and managed to fit Lapslie, Williams and Mahoney in the side at the same time. I’m not going to criticise only having Hawkins up front because, to be honest, anyone that we’ve got left with him is a waste of a position elsewhere. Hawkins was clearly knackered by the end though.

There are questions over recruitment especially up front and allowing Nichols and Bonne to leave without adequate replacements, and I too think those who made that choice need to be held to account.

If it was earlier in the season I’d probably just shrug it off and say oh well, they played well and worked hard, but it’s the business end of the season and however you want to paint it 2 points from 12 isn’t good enough. In fact it’s worse than average relegation form.

But, here we are and strange things can happen in football. It’s not quite over, yet.

* PHONE RINGS *

" Hi.. I don't know where to start really but I'm being emotionally manipulated "

" OK you're really brave to take this step, is it from a controlling partner? Take your time this a safe space "

" No I'm happily married but I'm the victim of a social media hashtag that resulted in me buying a season ticket for the football team I support. I can't believe they've done this to me... "

We have a winner 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Why the negativity today. Best first half forever, the only team that was going to win, created loads, Lapslie and Williams excellent. I enjoyed that. We did enough to win and should have won. Grimsby will be well relieved with that point

Not sure anyone is being negative about today specifically, just a culmination of our recent crap form continuing and another game without a win when time is running short.

* PHONE RINGS *

“they were giving me the option to renew the seat I’ve spent most of the season moaning about”

It is was it is I’m afraid, better season this year than last but I agree disappointing with the build up to the season and the quality of players recruited just haven’t delivered.
The January transfer market was disappointing in that I don’t believe we gave SC the tools to improve what we already had and those last minutes signing just haven’t delivered for various reasons.
Overall we are Gillingham and we should all be used to this from the Peacock era right up until the Championship and then normal service resumed thereafter.
Far rather we are where we are than 18 months ago I just feel people have forgotten that and want half a dozen contracts paid up and new manager installed and start again, financially this is a non starter and the done and gloom is doing my head in when we are still there or thereabouts.
We will most probably miss out I am not getting that excited but let’s just finish the season fully supporting the club.

Controversial I know, but I think we could with a couple of decent centre forwards.

Hutton is a great player, comes across like a bit of a helmet at times but whatever if you can cross a ball like that you’re in.

I do think though Clemence can’t get off Scott free, Some of his decisions are just baffling (in particular of late McKenzie for Hawkins Tuesday and the subs today) and he just does not inspire me at all. I really hope I’m wrong, he seems like a decent chap but then again I said the same thing about Harris for a good while.

We can’t just keep buying players, an average of 6,000 attendance won’t allow it. I really think we’ve got a decent defence and some decent midfielders (need to work out how to use them). If it was me I’d probably give Clem the bullet in the summer, sign a couple of centre forwards and see how we get on next year with that.

There are questions over recruitment especially up front and allowing Nichols and Bonne to leave without adequate replacements, and I too think those who made that choice need to be held to account.
Are we holding them to account for Hurtado getting an entirely unpredictable injury and Andrew’s getting back to fitness as predicted and picking up a different injury in the B team?

Not sure anyone is being negative about today specifically, just a culmination of our recent crap form continuing and another game without a win when time is running short.

Exactly this. Today was another example of what could or maybe should have been this season.

Just have no trust in most of this squad of what they'll give in terms of performance from one week to the next. This seasons failings have been more than just recruitment and ability, its been about desire, application, attitude, aggression and heart.

Last edited:
Are we holding them to account for Hurtado getting an entirely unpredictable injury and Andrew’s getting back to fitness as predicted and picking up a different injury in the B team?
I think to be fair they are accountable for seeing all first half of the season how weak we were upfront , having time to work on a strategy to rectify and then panic signing Hurtado when made aware of his availability a day before deadline and signing a player who at the time was injured in Andrews.

Already answered by Hessy8. Hurtado was always a punt having little EFL experience in the first place. As exciting as he was for about a game and a half.

There doesn’t seem to have been any back up plan with long term attacking issues, and in that I include Hawkins having a long term physical condition. Exactly what would we have done today if he was unavailable?

Last edited: