The Official Grimsby Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Methylenedioxymethamphetamine "for all your wild optimism needs") | Vital Football

The Official Grimsby Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Methylenedioxymethamphetamine "for all your wild optimism needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
I am aware that my last match thread catered to those of us considered to be bedwetters, so in light of Rob_b100's madness of a thread elsewhere on this fine site, and in the interests of fairness, I will endeavour to write this to lean more towards the apologist camp.

Following Tuesday's unfortunate defeat at Wimbledon, where the dual experiments of playing with ten men for an hour and no recognised striker for 45 minutes sadly failed to come off despite our best efforts, we now sit in 10th ahead of today's visit from Grimsby.

That said, 10th is a fantastic place to launch a late promotion push from, by lulling the surrounding teams into a false sense of security by gifting them a two game head start and by pretending to be hugely underachieving, we can then spring a late surprise by going goal mad whilst winning each of our final eight games with style and panache, waltzing into the playoffs high on life.

Our opponents today lie in 21st with only eight wins from their 36 games. They will be looking to show their undoubted class in the last ten games, aiming for a solid top half finish by adopting our "rope-a-dope" tactics of pretending to be shit for large portions of the season before turning on the style to everyone's surprise.

The suspension of Masterson is a wonderful opportunity to explore the rich range of talent available across the squad, although it will be sad to dispense with the ultra defensive five at the back when playing at home. However, in so doing it opens the goalscoring floodgates for our vast array of attacking options, all of whom are desperate to add to their wildly impressive goal tallies.

Our undoubted 90 minute masterclass today will help to improve the head to head record that has us trailing 12 games to 17 since the first meeting 103 years ago. We've actually won the last five at Priestfield against the Mariners, no surprise given we're clearly one of England's burgeoning powerhouses, the highlight being back to back 3-0 wins (remember those?) the first in February 2003 with a brace from Rod Wallace and a third in the first half (hahahahah, as if) from Chris Hope. The second 3-0 (remember those?) saw goals from Jackson, McCammon and late strike from Charlie Daniels giving us the win. I've included both as highlights because it will clearly inspire any viewing squad members to even greater heights, Nadesan is already writing down tips taken from watching McCammon's lethal finishing...

I hope you're all looking forward to 90 minutes of scintillating stuff this afternoon as we start our playoff push in earnest by hugely improving our goal difference and making a statement performance that will see the sides around us sitting up and taking note.

Enjoy the game and...

COYG!!!

Have to say that the Independent Grimsby Town website, called The Fishy, is one of the very best in football.

The guys there really know their stuff and publish and maintain all manor of interesting stats covering all levels of the game.

Whatever the outcome on the field today, a big well done to the folk who run that website:

I am aware that my last match thread catered to those of us considered to be bedwetters, so in light of Rob_b100's madness of a thread elsewhere on this fine site, and in the interests of fairness, I will endeavour to write this to lean more towards the apologist camp.

Following Tuesday's unfortunate defeat at Wimbledon, where the dual experiments of playing with ten men for an hour and no recognised striker for 45 minutes sadly failed to come off despite our best efforts, we now sit in 10th ahead of today's visit from Grimsby.

That said, 10th is a fantastic place to launch a late promotion push from, by lulling the surrounding teams into a false sense of security by gifting them a two game head start and by pretending to be hugely underachieving, we can then spring a late surprise by going goal mad whilst winning each of our final eight games with style and panache, waltzing into the playoffs high on life.

Our opponents today lie in 21st with only eight wins from their 36 games. They will be looking to show their undoubted class in the last ten games, aiming for a solid top half finish by adopting our "rope-a-dope" tactics of pretending to be shit for large portions of the season before turning on the style to everyone's surprise.

The suspension of Masterson is a wonderful opportunity to explore the rich range of talent available across the squad, although it will be sad to dispense with the ultra defensive five at the back when playing at home. However, in so doing it opens the goalscoring floodgates for our vast array of attacking options, all of whom are desperate to add to their wildly impressive goal tallies.

Our undoubted 90 minute masterclass today will help to improve the head to head record that has us trailing 12 games to 17 since the first meeting 103 years ago. We've actually won the last five at Priestfield against the Mariners, no surprise given we're clearly one of England's burgeoning powerhouses, the highlight being back to back 3-0 wins (remember those?) the first in February 2003 with a brace from Rod Wallace and a third in the first half (hahahahah, as if) from Chris Hope. The second 3-0 (remember those?) saw goals from Jackson, McCammon and late strike from Charlie Daniels giving us the win. I've included both as highlights because it will clearly inspire any viewing squad members to even greater heights, Nadesan is already writing down tips taken from watching McCammon's lethal finishing...

I hope you're all looking forward to 90 minutes of scintillating stuff this afternoon as we start our playoff push in earnest by hugely improving our goal difference and making a statement performance that will see the sides around us sitting up and taking note.

Enjoy the game and...

COYG!!!
Best ever produced

Sun is shining, pre match beers in the eagle tavern garden....might be a push to drag myself to the uber.

That said out of adversity comes......a surprise 5 at the back with an extra CB drafted in to to replace our suspended goal threat.

I hope we win today just to take the pressure of clemence. The season started with such positivity, we dont want it to end with a toxic atmosphere. Our gentle, weak spirited squad wont like that.

1-0 win, header from someone in a mask who 100% is not Masterson in disguise

Enjoy the game and...

COYG!!!
One of your best! Made I chuckle big time.

I have a cunning plan to influence this afternoon's result. Success or failure will be reported same day.

I predict our biggest win of the season this afternoon .......................... including a goal from Nads !! All those who doubt me can come back here at 5pm to eat humble pie. COYG

Enjoy the game and...

COYG!!!
What a complete load of utter b*ll*cks.

Well done Herr, brilliant.

I see from today's papers that the Tories are planning a coup against Rishi and will be putting someone else in his place.

Is it you?

Enjoying a pre match pint .Not able to make it today.Give them encouragement today with sickness in the camp they will be needing help.

Enjoy the game and...

COYG!!!
Superb.