The Official Doncaster Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Dunelm Mill "for all your final curtain needs") | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Official Doncaster Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Dunelm Mill "for all your final curtain needs")

Good riddance to this season. One which started with such genuine hope & promise. But descended into frustration & ultimately under achievement.

Today summed up our consistent inconsistency. Poor first half, far better second half.

Got to be honest though & say the second half revival was more than certainly down to the deserved red card. We will obviously never know but my suspicion is without it the second half would have followed the pattern of the first.

Roll on August!

Entertaining second half. Still find it frustrating there wasn't a little more urgency from some of our players when they went down to 10... if you're a man down, that's the time you hate seeing your opponents move the ball quickly.

Happy this season is behind us. Think we still need 3/4 substantial first XI improvements for next year.

I know iFollow is no more - but please whatever the replacement is, no Peter Lloyd, or at least the option for just crowd noise. The guy is absolutely dismal to listen to.

I like Pete 🫡

I got sucked in by the pre season optimism and foolishly stuck £100 on us to get promoted 🙄

Won’t be doing that again!

We need pace, character and someone who knows how to stick it in the net. Not easy signings.

Best thing about today….Andrews looked really promising. His layoffs were first class, he won plenty in the air, has a bit of pace and one or two really nice first time passes round the corner . Get runners around him and he could be a real asset next season. My MoTM today

What pisses me off is how we set up in the first half of home matches. My seat is about 10 yards up the pitch from the penalty box at the Rainham End. Looking straight across I could always see our back line, i.e. we set up not far out of our own penalty area. At the start of the second half our back line’s starting position is almost right on the half way line. As a result we started playing in the opponents half rather than our own. This isn’t new, it’s happened loads of times.

Game that kind of summed up our season, rubbish first half with a scrambled goal and then a worldie from them to make it 2-0. Great strike. Then getting back in it in the second half due to their keeper having a brain fart and deciding he didn’t want to play in the play-offs anyway.

I liked Andrews, I definitely think he will become a fans favourite. There’s a bit of bottle and leadership about him which we’re definitely lacking in most areas.

Congratulations to Max for reaching the 400 game milestone, great service to the club over the years.

Said the same numerous times over the last couple of years. Our back four set the base of our whole team position and determine where the game is played on the pitch. It was a constant problem under NH and that trend has continued, albeit to a lesser extent unde SC but our approach to games needs to change from the off next season if we're to be succesful.

Peter Lloyd always was, is,and should be the voice of Gillingham FC on the radio.
He was a Saturday afternoon fixture when Gills were playing away and I was working on our alotment.
Now, half way around the world, he's the comforting voice from home.
I'll not have a word said against the lad.

The stereotypical game of two halves.

Doncaster were much better than us. Two great goals and they were comfortable.

The red card changed everything and might scupper Donny in the playoffs. Great comeback from Gills and could have won it in the end with the Masterson and Gbode headers.

Entertaining game to watch and an excellent crowd there to see it.

I like the look of Andrews, he has a mobility and aggression than Hawkins doesn't. We get the ball forward faster with Andrews up front and makes us more of an attacking threat. Hawkins is good at set pieces (especially helping us defend them) but I think Andrews will be a greater goal threat.

A season that failed to live up to expectations but some real positives to cling on to over the summer. We will strengthen and we will be better.

Good times are coming.

Shame on those who left at or before halftime, you missed a cracking second half!
Summed up our season, but at least we have a team to build on next season.
Two points- shows how massive we are when you see how the Donny fans celebrated a draw against us. And sorry to Masterson for singing “you don’t know what you’re doing” when he took ages taking his boots off to give to a fan!

See you all next season for more pain, suffering and torture. Can’t wait for it!

We have rarely played two good halves this season.
It’s really quite weird.
Start badly and improve or start like a steam train and then decline.
If Clem can figure that out then … who knows?

We have rarely played two good halves this season.
It’s really quite weird.
Start badly and improve or start like a steam train and then decline.
If Clem can figure that out then … who knows?

I think this reflects a lack of leadership on the pitch. When things aren't going well you need someone to go around the team rallying the troops and demanding more. Not sure I've seen Ehmer do that.

We really need to sign a leader in the summer.

I think this reflects a lack of leadership on the pitch. When things aren't going well you need someone to go around the team rallying the troops and demanding more. Not sure I've seen Ehmer do that.

We really need to sign a leader in the summer.
As we need a left back and leader, I would like us to take a look at Luke Leahy from Wycombe.
A very good solid pro who would improve our team.