The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by Pink Snooker Balls "for all your six point needs") | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by Pink Snooker Balls "for all your six point needs")

Maybe it's just me but I find that our support away from home is far better than our support at home. The last game I attended was the game against Tranmere (been out of UK since then) and the attitude of supporters around me pissed me off quite a bit. Constantly criticising the players and making snide comments. The two pricks in front of me repeatedly trying to get the, "You're nothing special, we lose every week" chant going.

But if it was all positivity and vocal support and encouragement yesterday then I'm very pleased to hear it (even though I didn't because the mics were turned down or whatever!).
My only experience of that has been at Colchester (twice) and I was really impressed by the singing and sheer noise at our end.

There was also quite a lot of shouting and singing about how quiet their home crowd was.

I know we won both games but I don't think I heard a single moan or gripe, or getting on any player's back, in the area where we were sitting.

Maybe that is WHY we won both times?

Last edited:
To be fair to Clemence you can see why he doesn’t want to throw forwards on if we’re stuck with pelt like Walker. Williams, Lapslie and Mahoney didn’t work, and with hindsight we needed Mahoney to come off the bench.

Still, hopefully they’ll all be gone in the Summer👍
I didn’t mean throw forwards on from the bench but more throwing the likes of Ehmer / Masterson up front ie taking some risks that we’ve done previously when needing a late goal.
It felt to me like we didn’t want to risk losing to a counter attack type goal so kept pretty rigid formation wise, and other than a scramble from a corner that Walker diverted wide there wasn’t any real threat on their goal in the latter stages.
If only that early header from Dieng had gone in it would have been a totally different game, that was a great reflex save from their keeper.
The main plus for me was that Andrews looked promising but I felt we played too many long balls up to him battling against two defenders and we failed to create many chances at all with Crewe quite comfortable in the end.

Maybe it's just me but I find that our support away from home is far better than our support at home. The last game I attended was the game against Tranmere (been out of UK since then) and the attitude of supporters around me pissed me off quite a bit. Constantly criticising the players and making snide comments. The two pricks in front of me repeatedly trying to get the, "You're nothing special, we lose every week" chant going.
I`ll never understand why "fans" feel the need to sing such a verse. Same regards the "you must be sh**, we`re winning away". Absolute plonkers and prime examples of population density issues !

I didn’t mean throw forwards on from the bench but more throwing the likes of Ehmer / Masterson up front ie taking some risks that we’ve done previously when needing a late goal.
It felt to me like we didn’t want to risk losing to a counter attack type goal so kept pretty rigid formation wise, and other than a scramble from a corner that Walker diverted wide there wasn’t any real threat on their goal in the latter stages.
If only that early header from Dieng had gone in it would have been a totally different game, that was a great reflex save from their keeper.
The main plus for me was that Andrews looked promising but I felt we played too many long balls up to him battling against two defenders and we failed to create many chances at all with Crewe quite comfortable in the end.
I think one of the biggest problems up front is the complete inability of any of the players that play with/off the Hawk to read where his headers are likely to go. They are either too far away or just not close enough. Defenders get far too many of the second balls than they should. Not sure what can be done about it just need better and / or more intelligent players there i guess.

I think one of the biggest problems up front is the complete inability of any of the players that play with/off the Hawk to read where his headers are likely to go. They are either too far away or just not close enough. Defenders get far too many of the second balls than they should. Not sure what can be done about it just need better and / or more intelligent players there i guess.
Perhaps we need to play it into his feet more, rather than the percentage balls above his head that are hard to control.
Someone posted clips on Twitter of Hawkins having his shirt pulled every time it was played up to him, but even if he wasn’t fouled the best he could do with those kind long balls would be to flick it on, near enough impossible to control the ball otherwise.

I was given the opportunity to go a bit exec and to be honest I really enjoyed it. Entry into the Grand Hall at 1pm, 3–course meal half an hour later (although our desert was eventually served after the final whistle!). Shannon made an effort to visit every table by the looks of it!

Back to the Grand Hall for half time and full time. Pre-game interview with Simon King and post-game interview with MotM Masterson.

View attachment 72370

View attachment 72371

View attachment 72372

View attachment 72373

View attachment 72374
Was the scran ok?

The pitch side mic's must have been turned down Budd'.

There was a decent atmosphere yesterday and not just in the RE. The GRS was a lot more vocal than usual.

Considering it was a game with very little action in either 18 yard box I thought the crowd did play their part.

The pre-match rendition of Last Waltz - which normally makes me cringe - was pretty decent too.
Being in the Medway Upper I personally thought the Rainham End were quiet, but after the game chatting to the people I normally sit with in the RE they seemed to think plenty of noise was made. Maybe the RE doesn’t have as good acoustics as I expected?
Was the scran ok?
It was alright. It felt like they went with a set 3-course menu which didn’t rock the boat. Filled a hole but nothing special (gravy was a particular letdown). No real queues in the piano bar, but the sweet stall was popular!

IMG_6583.jpeg

IMG_6566.jpeg

IMG_6578.jpeg

Being in the Medway Upper I personally thought the Rainham End were quiet, but after the game chatting to the people I normally sit with in the RE they seemed to think plenty of noise was made. Maybe the RE doesn’t have as good acoustics as I expected?

It was alright. It felt like they went with a set 3-course menu which didn’t rock the boat. Filled a hole but nothing special (gravy was a particular letdown). No real queues in the piano bar, but the sweet stall was popular!

View attachment 72406

View attachment 72407

View attachment 72408
As others have said the RE was actually noisier than normal and both the side stands joined in too. Just disappointing but there’s no point blaming each other.

My interpretation of the booing at the end was that it was aimed at the officials, not the team, he’d thoroughly pissed everyone off. I hope the players know that too.

View attachment 72406

View attachment 72407

View attachment 72408

Can’t beat gyppo tart

View attachment 72406

View attachment 72407

View attachment 72408
Gotta say, it dont look too appetising but hopefully tasted better than it looks.
And gypsy tart a, how Kentish. Down here where I live theyv'e never heard of it and I had to explain to them what it is.

View attachment 72406

View attachment 72407

View attachment 72408
No veggie option?