The Official Bradford City Match Thread (Sponsored by Discarded Prophylactics "for all your dead rubber needs") | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Bradford City Match Thread (Sponsored by Discarded Prophylactics "for all your dead rubber needs")

I don't, I'm not keen on chopping and changing too often but as I said above, unless he gets off to a flyer next season he can do one.
Its too late to change a few months in.

The key question is do we think that with a few additions Clemence can turn this squad into a promotion team. He's shown nothing to suggest that. He demanded a reaction today and if that was it then it shows he can't in my view.

Bite the bullet admit we got it wrong and go with someone with league 2 experience.

The key question is do we think that with a few additions Clemence can turn this squad into a promotion team. He's shown nothing to suggest that. He demanded a reaction today and if that was it then it shows he can't in my view.

Bite the bullet admit we got it wrong and go with someone with league 2 experience.

I'd have no issues if he was sacked between now and the new season.

Definitely questioning Clemence, doesn’t appear to know what his best team is. Should have seen a response yet it was more of the same. My biggest gripe is the football, yes we keep the ball more but we do sweet fa with it, pass it back, pass it sideways all at a snails pace and then eventually run out of ideas. Our only tactic appears to be to pass to Hutton who crosses into the box, take that away and we have nothing which is simply not good enough. Utterly pissed off and can’t wait to see the back of the season and half of this uninspiring squad.

The squad is not suited to how clemence wants to play (ie not the direct long ball all the time that Harris favoured).
Season was fucked when the powers that be decided to remove Harris. Took Too long to find a replacement, and then a shit January window that weakened the squad compounded things.
Brad has said clemence will remain in his role next season so hope they are prepared to spend big to bring in the quality needed in the summer.

The squad is not suited to how clemence wants to play (ie not the direct long ball all the time that Harris favoured).
Season was fucked when the powers that be decided to remove Harris. Took Too long to find a replacement, and then a shit January window that weakened the squad compounded things.
Brad has said clemence will remain in his role next season so hope they are prepared to spend big to bring in the quality needed in the summer.
I don’t think that the Clem experiment will work at league two level mate.
The only way to league two promotion is pace, power, aggression and a striker who will score regularly.
Tippy tappy wins nothing at this level.

Personally I don’t think Clemence has what it takes to be successful at this level, I also think he lacks experience of what it takes to get out of league two having always worked at a higher level. Much like Mark Hughes I guess.

There is no team spirit or fight from anyone, and however good a coach Clemence is, those things can’t be implanted in them.

Questions need to be asked of a number of people at the club, players included.

Three more matches just to enjoy as games of football and, hopefully, some blooding of junior players and some new ideas. You can see the individual talent in the squad, although they all play like they're recovering from 'flu and slightly off the pace. I have no idea what to make of the management team. I hope the B&S's have deep pockets, continued commitment, and a willingness to make changes quickly if a decent start does not materialize. We need a good fourth division team, not one which might be good once we get promoted to the third.

Up the Gills!

Attempting promotion with relegation form can’t happen, can it.
Shame but it was on the cards.
As Brad said before the season started, promotion was the target by any means.
Over ambitious ?
I don’t believe it was ambitious with the squad assembled on paper.
The problem is the game isn’t played on paper.
B&S must be be gutted with the way the season has gone, I know he has publicly backed SC but I do wonder if there will be a rethink.

Last edited:
Our season is fizzling out. Fact. Must be bottom of the form table at a time we need to be top.

A game we needed to win & we lost with a whimper.

First half was a case of not taking our chances. We knew what would happen & of course it did. Right back given too much space & scores with his swinger.

Second half we didn't turn up. No desire, no conviction, no urgency, no intensity. The players simply didn't believe they could equalise let alone win.

Why oh why when we needed to score was everyone back for the corners. When going 4 4 2 why did Lapslie, Williams J & Mahoney all go narrow. Tactical incompetence.

Had enough of this season.

Can't wait for this season to be done.

The big question IMO is BG willing to spend what is required to build a squad in the summer that is capable of challenging as this squad (bar a handful) have proved that in application, desire, intent, self pride, energy and to do the ugly basics first they're not up to it and that's forgetting the obvious questions of actual ability.

If that today was a satisfactory "reaction" to last week, well fuck a mother duck.

BG needs to decide if (and I have my doubts he is) SC is the right man because its clear there is a massive problem on the football side. Is it SC, the players, recruitment or which combination of the 3 because its been wayfully short in 2 if not all 3 this season.

Would happily never see majority of this squad in a Gills shirt again but as it stands, I have absolutely no faith in anyone at the club to put it right and I include BG in that if he's taking advice from KJ, as we've seen how that's turned out.

If BG is serious about going in a different direction the broom needs to come out and maybe that involves a completely blank canvas in KJ, AH, SC and the majority of the squad trotting off.

Not sure there is any quick fix as the problems IMO are with all three.

Our season is fizzling out. Fact. Must be bottom of the form table at a time we need to be top.

A game we needed to win & we lost with a whimper.

First half was a case of not taking our chances. We knew what would happen & of course it did. Right back given too much space & scores with his swinger.

Second half we didn't turn up. No desire, no conviction, no urgency, no intensity. The players simply didn't believe they could equalise let alone win.

Why oh why when we needed to score was everyone back for the corners. When going 4 4 2 why did Lapslie, Williams J & Mahoney all go narrow. Tactical incompetence.

Had enough of this season.
Correct:

I don’t think that the Clem experiment will work at league two level mate.
The only way to league two promotion is pace, power, aggression and a striker who will score regularly.
Tippy tappy wins nothing at this level.
I almost agree, but Pulis proved in his first season that as long as you defend as a team, and have a strong "spine", you can get success without scoring a hatful. Unfortunatley, this squad doesn't have that "spine" and cannot defend as a team. So, if you can't do that you need to bang in the goals...somehow, anyhow!! This squad can't do that either. It's a mish mash of a squad that no formation suits. I agree about the tippy tappy stuff. I guess, Joe Comper will have to really earn his beans in the football front next season.