The Official Barrow Match Thread (Sponsored by Ennui "for all your weariness and dissatisfaction needs") | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Official Barrow Match Thread (Sponsored by Ennui "for all your weariness and dissatisfaction needs")

Was a good performance, possibly our most positive home game of the season. I thought Johnny Williams was excellent and would have been my MOTM, Andrews works so hard and offers something a bit more clinical than Hawkins. Delighted he got his first goal for us. Mahoney’s excellent goal after being put through by Dieng is exactly why so many people are unsure about him. He has all that talent, please use it.

Typical Gills to lose 5-1 to a firmly Mid-Table team in Harrogate and then beat probably a firm playoff side 3-0 the week after. It’s not all over but (again typical Gills) they’re not letting go of the last desperate string of hope despite erratic performances and results.

Thought the ref had a decent enough game for once and didn’t bottle it when a red was more than required. There are potentially career ending challenges in one category and then there are damn awful ones which could have a worse consequence, it was the latter.

Glad to hear that Walker is ok and has been at the POTY awards this evening.

Nice to see Mahoney play well, if he could deliver consistently then worth a deal.

Credit to Jonny Williams and Mahoney after I’ve been calling for them to be binned.

which is pretty much the point we've all been making Trev.

Perhaps if they'd had a striker like Josh Andrews moving about and creating the space behind him for them to play we might have seen more of that quality from Mahoney and Williams all season.

Would be a real shame (imo) to bin them off now before having a real chance to test that theory.

SC knows what he's talking about and he knows what he wants to achieve, he just hasn't had the tools available to do the job properly. He still doesn't but he's not that far off. We're gonna narrowly miss out on the play offs (if we don't miraculously sneak into 7th with two more wins and other results going out way) even with what we've already got.

Such a shame Andrews got injured again in that B team game. Double whammy that Hurtado also got injured in the Swine game.

Lots of people saying that the January window was a massive failure. One can only wonder how different those opinions and comments might have been but for those two injures...

UTG!

Last edited:
Lots of people saying that the January window was a massive failure. One can only wonder how different those opinions and comments might have been but for those two injures...
UTG!
I don't think anyone was saying that, for the long term.

It just probably wasn't the best window if designed for promotion this year as it looks like being proved.

Hutton needs time to acclimatise to a different system and Andrews is just going to get better, again with time.

Hurtado looks like the sort of player that is going to have good and bad games as even he doesn't know what he is going to do next, but he would have brought us something different.

Walker was clearly a punt to help us in the attacking third but has not had the required impact IMO.

It was the failures in recruitment last summer that have had the ultimate cost.

I don't think anyone was saying that, for the long term.

It just probably wasn't the best window if designed for promotion this year as it looks like being proved.

Hutton needs time to acclimatise to a different system and Andrews is just going to get better, again with time.

Hurtado looks like the sort of player that is going to have good and bad games as even he doesn't know what he is going to do next, but he would have brought us something different.

Walker was clearly a punt to help us in the attacking third but has not had the required impact IMO.

It was the failures in recruitment last summer that have had the ultimate cost.

January transfer window is a notoriously difficult one in which to do business.

Not sure about failures in last summer's window but definitely agree that the failure to land a proper decent centre forward was a huge disappointment. As I said above, if we had had a player similar to Andrews up front all season then Williams and Mahoney could well have been as much, if not more, of a success as Masterson and Ogie have been.

All about opinions, I know.

E2a: And you're right about Hutton and Andrews, both signed in January and both (I think and hope) going to be important players for us next season.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed yesterday! Great atmosphere, and a good win. I hope there’s a criminal prosecution for the GBH on Walker, but glad he’s ok. Can’t believe a couple of people around me were moaning we didn’t carry on attackIng with 20 minutes to go. After two injuries, we didn’t need any more. Enjoy the moment FFS! :-)

Really enjoyed yesterday! Great atmosphere, and a good win. I hope there’s a criminal prosecution for the GBH on Walker, but glad he’s ok. Can’t believe a couple of people around me were moaning we didn’t carry on attackIng with 20 minutes to go. After two injuries, we didn’t need any more. Enjoy the moment FFS! :-)
That "tackle" deserves to be on a "Worst of All Time" compilation.

Missed yesterday's game away with the wife.i heard most of the first half. Then lost signal out in the wilds of Norfolk.
We scored three goals in the bit I missed. So it looks like I might try to keep up the switch off for the rest of the regular season. Or at least the Mansfield game.Fingers firmly crossed .Apart from that is painful. I can't see a miracle happening. But willing to live in hope.

Barrow fans on Twitter saying it was a 50/50 and Walker milked it 😂

Anyway all the weirdness aside I am glad we won our cup final.
The milking it claim originated from a Gills FB page post so hardly surprising Barrow fans picked it up. No argument from those in the ground, on the pitch. Horrendously over committed and wreckless rather than deliberately malicious in my view but a red it most certainly deserved.

One has to wonder at the mentality of a Gills fan making such a claim because the ref took seconds to make his decision. Why would Walker then milk it for a further 9 minutes, con the medical staff and allow himself to be stretchered off.

Last edited:
The milking it claim originated from a Gills FB page post so hardly surprising Barrow fans picked it up. No argument from those in the ground, on the pitch. Horrendously over committed and wreckless rather than deliberately malicious in my view but a red it most certainly deserved.

One has to wonder at the mentality of a Gills fan making such a claim because the ref took seconds to make his decision. Why would Walker then milk it for a further 9 minutes, con the medical staff and allow himself to be stretchered off.

Agreed, it played out right, looking at all the other players’s reactions, including the offender who looked pretty stunned at what he’d done, lingered appropriately to check with Walker, and then walked without complaint.

Agreed, it played out right, looking at all the other players’s reactions, including the offender who looked pretty stunned at what he’d done, lingered appropriately to check with Walker, and then walked without complaint.

Game’s gone soft.

Back in the day, the defender would have done a big circle with his arms to indicate he’d got the ball, done a diving mime to indicate a dive, pulled Walker up by the ears and got a booking at worst.
Walker would have tried running it off and at least have come back on wearing a full head bandage.

‘Ha ha, a pint of Guinness!!…wait can I still say that??’

‘Fuck knows just keep your head down and don’t say it again, could be seen as discriminatory’

‘YOU DIIIIIRTY NORTHERN BASTARDS!!’

Game’s gone soft.

Back in the day, the defender would have done a big circle with his arms to indicate he’d got the ball, done a diving mime to indicate a dive, pulled Walker up by the ears and got a booking at worst.
Walker would have tried running it off and at least have come back on wearing a full head bandage.

‘Fuck knows just keep your head down and don’t say it again, could be seen as discriminatory’

Clearly, our respective senses of what is right and fitting, diverge.

Game’s gone soft.

Basically what the Fulham player did to try and get away from the fact he broke Mark O’Conner’s leg!

Barrow fans on Twitter saying it was a 50/50 and Walker milked it 😂

Anyway all the weirdness aside I am glad we won our cup final.
TBF to the Barrow fans, on their message board only one was saying Walker milked it, the rest were all saying what an idiot their player was for a ridiculously high tackle, and doubts about an immediate red card which cost them any chance of winning.