The Official AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (sponsored by Matt Hancock "for all your PPE needs" | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Official AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (sponsored by Matt Hancock "for all your PPE needs"

I didn't watch last night, sort of drifted into the decision late on. We are becoming tedious to watch I'm afraid and that together with ifollow only means I must ration myself to maintain enthusiasm. Strangely I feel as if I watched every minute having read all your comments, too predictable, a series of repeated patterns. This time a shade of luck and an error or two and we lose, another time it might have gone the other way.

We fans call for more effort every game but this attritional football is very hard on players. It causes fatigue and injuries and requires superhuman enthusiasm. We can play differently but seem in a groove at the moment. Someone give the needle a nudge.
Unfortunately I agree with all of that, including following the board's comments and missed match for exactly the same reasons.

Couldn't face watching for a tenner on iFollow last night - 10 mins of highlights quite enough this morning (also forgot it was early ko!)
I could have a loop saying 'Graham and Dempsey our only players looking above Lge 1 level. And just to point out to you Ogilvie fans, how he was skinned by Rudoni in 1st half and then just stood 5 yards off him while he rifled in the winning goal.
The better news is that I will pay the tenner for the game at Pompey on Sat, as it has been the away game I always try to make (remember the 3-1 win with Wilkinson and Martin playing like they never did before or after) , and the 3 away games I've paid for this season are Wigan, Crewe and Charlton - all wins
and of course just like Gills to lose at Wombles and then beat Pompey, who are having their own struggles at home

Reflection on last night. We continue to be a mid-table team that sometimes plays well and sometimes doesn`t. We continue to be deficient in and just outside the opposition penalty area because we have no-one with the agility and speed necessary, the nippy sniper, to take advantage of a ball on the ground and do something positive with it.

Thought our midfield was a tad hollow last night and we missed the energy and battle factor of Slattery and McDonald. O`Keefe has given the Gills good service over a long stretch but IMO he`s still a long way off in terms of form. Dempsey & Graham, especially when both are on the field, give us more potency and neat play but, without an effective Gills presence at front and centre, much of their industry is wasted.

Draw would have been a fair result last night, neither team was impressive, save one or two individual cameo stints. One of those, IMO, coming from the skillful left sided young player Rudoni. The lad has something about him and his positivity and movement caused us a few problems. Don`t think there was anything lucky about his winning goal, he appeared to know exactly what he was doing and launched an intelligent shot on goal from a position possibly screened from Bonham. Didn`t look screened from the TV angle but from the players angle at ground level, it might well have been. Either way, he did well to cut in and make himself the space. Young Rudoni would be a good fit on the Gills` left hand side !

So on we go to Pompey and the realistic prospect of taking all three points from Fratton Park - yes, more than possible for a mid-table Gills team that will have good days and bad; if the good days start to significantly outweigh the bad then, you never know..... maybe....

But that’s kinda my point, you sometimes get them sometimes dont. And just cos Evans and Raynor go ballistic over a non award it still doesn’t make it stonewall. They bitch and moan about every little decision from the sidelines so we can ignore the fact that they think it is one.

To me a nailed on pen is one that there is no possible way it could not be given. In both instances last night there is doubt. You have even suggested yourself a reason why the first one wasnt given.

Again, I do feel arguing over sketchy penalty decisions is still glossing over the fact that we had one shot on target in 90 minutes. This is the real reason we lost. It reminds me of just after Christmas and the shambles we were served up V Burton, Northampton and Plymouth. 3 games, 3 woeful defeats and about 2 shots in 4 1/2 hours.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I don't care what Evans and Raynor think - I didn't see the handball they were going mad about, but I had a clear view of the Akinde one and thought it was stonewall from my own judgement - for me, someone barging someone's back with their shoulder and bundling them over should be a nailed on pen. However, in my comments on the match yesterday, I was very critical of our performance, but feel it is worth providing a view on what I thought was a clear penalty. Agree on the woeful defeat last night v Burton, Plymouth and Northampton - had we got the points we should have got against four clearly abysmal teams, we'd easily be in the playoff mix.

Another hour or two sulking, Mrs has already gone to bed
It turned into two days here and I have only just, I swear, visited the forum for the first time since tuesday...... God I am one sad futhermucker to let it get to me so badly - as someone else rightly said, we've had enough practise at losing games - I just hate it when we lose, and lose stupidly. I will probably not be watching the game tomorrow against Pompey but there again............ oh shit, I've just realised, I must be a masochist......don't tell my missus!

Last edited:
It turned into two days here and I have only just, I swear, visited the forum for the first time since tuesday...... God I am one sad futhermucker to let it get to me so badly - as someone else rightly said, we've had enough practise at losing games - I just hate it when we lose, and lost stupidly. I will probably not be watching the game tomorrow against Pompey but there again............ oh shit, I've just realised, I must be a masochist......don't tell my missus!

You and me both just paid ifollow