The Official Accrington Stanley Match Thread (Sponsored by the Milk Marketing Board "for all your "who are they?" needs) | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Official Accrington Stanley Match Thread (Sponsored by the Milk Marketing Board "for all your "who are they?" needs)

The Black Horse in Friargate, Preston is a very quirky, down to earth pub with character. It`s 19th century and still has many original features - including a bar the counter top of which is almost shoulder height to a lot of folk. Look after their beer well, too - Real Ale pub.
On the list for next Monday :-) Thanks.

Beer wise I tend to walk down to wings and beer as I know it has a few casks on - its on one of the roads off Fishergate. I stay at the Holiday Inn so the Black Horse on Friargate is an easy walk.

Honestly find Preston really grim. I go to Samlesbury a lot and the blue bird pub up that way has rooms - its a lees pub so always something nice on.

Beer wise I tend to walk down to wings and beer as I know it has a few casks on - its on one of the roads off Fishergate. I stay at the Holiday Inn so the Black Horse on Friargate is an easy walk.

Honestly find Preston really grim. I go to Samlesbury a lot and the blue bird pub up that way has rooms - its a lees pub so always something nice on.
Not that far out of Preston is Lytham - now that`s a very nice place and (even though it`s in the wrong direction for you - as regards Samlesbury) it`s well worth a visit. Lots of very nice restaurants and drinking establishments - nice hotels in that area too.

Well that was satisfying, a comeback win !!!

First half was neutral with neither team creating much, though Gills were playing positively - just couldn`t get that final pass or any kind of dominance in Accy`s box.

All change in the second - plenty of chances created at both ends.

Coleman was excellent, MOM in my opinion. McKenzie wasn`t at his best today, perhaps underlining a need for some new blood at RWB. But, overall, our defensive line held well and Masterson was able to get involved with the attack to good effect.

The three hundred Gills (-1) in attendance, including a number of the Maloney brigade - enjoyed that after-the-final-whistle jubilation - a feeling not many had anticipated after going 0-1 down.

Three wins on the bounce is encouraging - but we still need reinforcements ! UTG.
Pretty decent sum up there. Don't know about you, but I was freezing. Despite having 2 jumpers and a jacket on.. Despite driving home with the car heater on to a heated house, cooking my dinner and settling do wn by a radiator, I didn't warm up until nearly 10. Guess I'm getting old(er). When I posted that we'd scored our second, I was shivering so much that I thought I'd never get the short sentence finished :oops:

Anyway, to the match. I'd agree with you about Coleman and also about Mackenzie. Don't agree with any of the comments about Turner though (I know they aren't yours). For the goal, he definitely couldn't see the ball as there were 3 Gills players in a block between hims and the scorer. Surprised he even got close tbh.

Likewise for the "fumble" in the first half. When you're watching on TV in the comfort of your sitting room, you get a higher view from the camera which gives a perspective that you wouldn't get if you were on the pitch. Similarly if you are near the back of the Rainham end etc. I'm pretty sure his view of the ball was blocked until it was very late. And while I realise that people on here have reactions slightly faster than a fly, we are dealing with a human here. So absolutely no reason to change him imho.

I've been critical of both Ogie and Bonne in the past but both put in a real shift here. Ogie in particular had a very solid game. His tackle on there guy in the first half after the guy had burst through was spectacular. I was sure Ogie would have to foul the man to stop him, but no, he got the ball. If that had been on MOTD, they'd have been enthusing about it for about 15 minutes. And from that showing, his positional awareness has improved and he's prepared to not fart around with the ball in dangerous situations.

Don't know where this version of Bonne has been hiding. Unlike the previous one, this new Bonne is prepared to run forward and get involved rather than just stand around and wait for the ball to come to him. I hope it's not a blip caused by his worrying that he'll be replaced, or that he's already sorted out a new club. If he stays then he has to keep this up. For me, he's now shown that the talent is there. He now has to produce this level consistantly.

Now a couple of negatives.

That first half performance was pathetic. Luckily so was the one from Accrington. My giddy Aunt, it was boring. But we really have to work on the skill of trapping the ball. The number of times the ball just bounces off the calf or ankle of our outfielders would shame an under 11 team.

And the number of times we pass the ball sideways or back is far too high. However, this appears to be due to no other options being avalable if we want to keep hold of the ball. So it's either lump it forward or pass it back.

Onwards and upwards.

I listened to the majority of the RK commentary on my way to Eastbourne for a bit of old skool punk rock, and the first 15 mins of the 2nd half sounded grim. Typically for me, I kept losing reception and missed both goals!! However, I have just seen the highlights and both goals were very good, I thought, from a build up play perspective. Some of the interchanges between Mahoney, Nicholls and Clarke were excellent. Mahoney seemed to turn into an uber winger. I have been critical of Bonne as he never, to me, seem to connect with the ball properly....he did that yesterday. More of the same please, Gills. I am amzed that we are still near the play offs. It's a funny old game, 😁

Not that far out of Preston is Lytham - now that`s a very nice place and (even though it`s in the wrong direction for you - as regards Samlesbury) it`s well worth a visit. Lots of very nice restaurants and drinking establishments - nice hotels in that area too.
Stayed then when last at Warton. Really nice hotel and a nice Greek restaurant - on the return list. I usually stay in Preston overnight when collecting a colleague from the station in the morning.

Pretty decent sum up there. Don't know about you, but I was freezing. Despite having 2 jumpers and a jacket on.. Despite driving home with the car heater on to a heated house, cooking my dinner and settling do wn by a radiator, I didn't warm up until nearly 10. Guess I'm getting old(er). When I posted that we'd scored our second, I was shivering so much that I thought I'd never get the short sentence finished :oops:

Anyway, to the match. I'd agree with you about Coleman and also about Mackenzie. Don't agree with any of the comments about Turner though (I know they aren't yours). For the goal, he definitely couldn't see the ball as there were 3 Gills players in a block between hims and the scorer. Surprised he even got close tbh.

Likewise for the "fumble" in the first half. When you're watching on TV in the comfort of your sitting room, you get a higher view from the camera which gives a perspective that you wouldn't get if you were on the pitch. Similarly if you are near the back of the Rainham end etc. I'm pretty sure his view of the ball was blocked until it was very late. And while I realise that people on here have reactions slightly faster than a fly, we are dealing with a human here. So absolutely no reason to change him imho.

I've been critical of both Ogie and Bonne in the past but both put in a real shift here. Ogie in particular had a very solid game. His tackle on there guy in the first half after the guy had burst through was spectacular. I was sure Ogie would have to foul the man to stop him, but no, he got the ball. If that had been on MOTD, they'd have been enthusing about it for about 15 minutes. And from that showing, his positional awareness has improved and he's prepared to not fart around with the ball in dangerous situations.

Don't know where this version of Bonne has been hiding. Unlike the previous one, this new Bonne is prepared to run forward and get involved rather than just stand around and wait for the ball to come to him. I hope it's not a blip caused by his worrying that he'll be replaced, or that he's already sorted out a new club. If he stays then he has to keep this up. For me, he's now shown that the talent is there. He now has to produce this level consistantly.

Now a couple of negatives.

That first half performance was pathetic. Luckily so was the one from Accrington. My giddy Aunt, it was boring. But we really have to work on the skill of trapping the ball. The number of times the ball just bounces off the calf or ankle of our outfielders would shame an under 11 team.

And the number of times we pass the ball sideways or back is far too high. However, this appears to be due to no other options being avalable if we want to keep hold of the ball. So it's either lump it forward or pass it back.

Onwards and upwards.
Nice summary, Def. Agree with you about Turner and also re the Accy goal. The lad that scored (Henderson) is just 19 and this was his second start for Stanley. He also scored on his debut (v Bolton last week), he was playing with a mature, savvy head. He did very well to get between our defenders and nod the ball in - probably one to watch for the future and a good investment for Stanley.

Personally, I rate Ogie very highly and, along with Masterson & Malone, he had another fine game yesterday. Agree also about the tackle he made on Pritchard who was on a breakaway. Terrific work by Shad though (as per usual) during his post match interview on R/Lancashire, John Coleman was convinced that Ogie had fouled his man ! BTW, what did you think of (Joe) Pritchard, the Accy #10 (their Captain) ? Personally, I thought his display, confidence and authority is just the type of thing we might benefit from - a midfielder who is very vocal and chivvies up his teammates throughout - reminded me a bit of Andy Hess when he was our Captain.

I was sitting with someone well connected to a number of N/West EFL clubs and he also praised Coleman, adding that, on yesterday`s performance, he would fit well into a Championship team.

Much as I want McCauley to do well, I`m not convinced that we should stop or pause our search for attacking reinforcements.

Glad you enjoyed the game, was brilliant to get the three points. But, next time you`ll have to remember to put "big coat" on when you visit oop north in winter. All the best.

Nice summary, Def. Agree with you about Turner and also re the Accy goal. The lad that scored (Henderson) is just 19 and this was his second start for Stanley. He also scored on his debut (v Bolton last week), he was playing with a mature, savvy head. He did very well to get between our defenders and nod the ball in - probably one to watch for the future and a good investment for Stanley.

Personally, I rate Ogie very highly and, along with Masterson & Malone, he had another fine game yesterday. Agree also about the tackle he made on Pritchard who was on a breakaway. Terrific work by Shad though (as per usual) during his post match interview on R/Lancashire, John Coleman was convinced that Ogie had fouled his man ! BTW, what did you think of (Joe) Pritchard, the Accy #10 (their Captain) ? Personally, I thought his display, confidence and authority is just the type of thing we might benefit from - a midfielder who is very vocal and chivvies up his teammates throughout - reminded me a bit of Andy Hess when he was our Captain.

I was sitting with someone well connected to a number of N/West EFL clubs and he also praised Coleman, adding that, on yesterday`s performance, he would fit well into a Championship team.

Much as I want McCauley to do well, I`m not convinced that we should stop or pause our search for attacking reinforcements.

Glad you enjoyed the game, was brilliant to get the three points. But, next time you`ll have to remember to put "big coat" on when you visit oop north in winter. All the best.
Our Ethan is quality and going places

BTW, what did you think of (Joe) Pritchard, the Accy #10 (their Captain) ?
Thought he was a bit of a terrier 😁 Yes he'd be a useful addition as our midfield seems to play more like a bunch of individuals than a unit. No matter what the formation or players.
But, next time you`ll have to remember to put "big coat" on when you visit oop north in winter. All the best.
I moved up from the Medway Towns to Leeds in 1989 and now live in Harrogate. So I think Accrington is technically in the South 🙄

Plug & Taps is meant to be great in Preston👍

Thought he was a bit of a terrier 😁 Yes he'd be a useful addition as our midfield seems to play more like a bunch of individuals than a unit. No matter what the formation or players.

I moved up from the Medway Towns to Leeds in 1989 and now live in Harrogate. So I think Accrington is technically in the South 🙄
Guess you know about big coats, then. 😉

FGR have had 3 red cards in Deeney's 6 games in charge so working on the basis they have a man sent off every other game, well we could be playing against 10 men on saturday as they play Mansfield tomorrow!

Well you can make love elsewhere then 😁

My youngest stepdaughter lives in Perth WA and I'm fed up of her complaining it's too damned hot and sending me photos of them in King's Park having ice creams etc 😤

It’s a tough gig getting home from work, having a dip in the pool and an ice-cold frothy before dinner. But I’m always up for the challenge.

Fair bit of rain again today, but very muggy and over 30deg again. Pfffft.

FGR have had 3 red cards in Deeney's 6 games in charge so working on the basis they have a man sent off every other game, well we could be playing against 10 men on saturday as they play Mansfield tomorrow!

His post-match interview on Saturday was staggering. He didn't just throw his players under a bus by name, but was driving and reversed back to finish the job.

On Fankaty Dabo...

"Dabo was poor and awful again and I have just told him that he will not be playing on Tuesday. He has not been good enough for eight or nine weeks, why do you think he was dropped at the start. I have just told him in front of everyone, six months ago that kid had a kick to go to the Premier League, now he would not get a game in the National League, so is that me or him?

He’s faster than everybody, but he gets run every game, he never makes a tackle and every time the ball comes to him, he looks like he kicks it with his shin pads."

Ouch. Slightly less scathing comments regarding other squad members and a general lack of professionalism. Saturday will be fun.

Late to the party, intentionally. I enjoyed Saturday.

Thought we started brighter, had a middle 30 either side of half time which was forgettable, and then finished strongly with what we deserved.

Coleman was quietly sensational, I thought. His development in 12 months has been near meteoric - you have to zero in on him to really appreciate just how good his game is. I do hope he's on a longer term deal. If he does go before too long, we had better look to recoup a sizable fee for him.

Big hat tips also to Hawkins (who most of our good stuff - i.e. those jittery defensive moments where something looked like it was going to happen - came through) and Nichols, who got stronger as the game went on. Also to the back 3 who were mostly solid, the goal aside - Ogie's defensive work is top notch, yet again. While his all around game is a work in progress, he's supremely talented because of his athleticism. Another one who should fetch a fee down the line.

One minor point - really want to see us up our drive levels before we concede. We almost stagnated after a bright start and the goal clearly jump started us back to that level of impetus where we moved better and moved the ball quicker. That said, delighted to see us come from behind and get a win. Enjoyable day out!