The Nice Stories Thread | Vital Football

The Nice Stories Thread

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
For some positive, 'nice' stories]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-49740880

A runner who accidentally signed up to the wrong half marathon completed the race distance on the same day - just on the other side of the Atlantic.

Sheila Pereira booked a place at the Worcester City Half Marathon, thinking it was in her hometown of Worcester, Massachusetts.

Undeterred, Ms Pereira ran 13.1 miles on her own in the US on the same day as the Worcestershire event.

Lovely of the UK event, they are sending her a finishers pack. I like things like this!

Once upon a time there was a dog. He found a bone. He ate the bone. He grew up to live a long and happy life.

"A Kentucky teacher is being hailed for going above and beyond the call of duty to bring a disabled student along on their field trip.

Ryan Neighbor’s fourth grade class at Tully Elementary School had been preparing to go on a field trip to Falls of the Ohio State Park last week—and she was heartbroken over the prospect of missing out on the fun.

Since the 10-year-old youngster was born with spina bifida, she has relied on a wheelchair her entire life. This is not the first time that Ryan’s disability has prevented her from attending field trips in the past, so her mother Shelly King began “preparing for an ‘alternate field trip day.’”

Thankfully, she didn’t have to. Upon hearing about Ryan’s plight, elementary school teacher Jim Freeman contacted the family “out of the blue” and offered to carry Ryan around on his back for the entire field trip".

Full Article and photos...... https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/tea...with-spina-bifida-on-his-back-for-field-trip/

Great, thanks for those TH. Been surprised how few good news stories have been shared. I think it clearly illustrates we are bombarded with bad news and seldom do the many (surely there must be many?!) good news stories just don't get coverage.

Now that Tyler Perry has become the first African-American to own a major film studio outright, he says that he plans on using a portion of the 330-acre property to house disadvantaged women and children.

Perry hosted the grand opening of his newly-created Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta, Georgia this week.

Though the event was one of the more notable accomplishments of Perry’s career, he is now focusing on his next project: building a shelter for rescued trafficking victims, homeless women, and displaced LGBTQ youth

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/tyler-perry-to-build-a-shelter-for-disadvantaged-women-and-children/

For 50 years, the Kirtland’s warbler has been one of the most endangered birds on the planet.

In 1971, there were only around 200 singing male warblers left, surviving in just six counties in northern Michigan, within a particular area of jack pine forests specific to its nesting requirements.

When the Endangered Species Act was first signed into law in 1973, the tiny songbird was one of the first species added—and efforts were launched to save it. Today, after 90,000 acres of additional jack pine forests were created to support its habitat, a recent census that counted individual songs, found that their population had increased 11 fold, to 2,383 pairs—more than double the recovery goal.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/kirtlands-warbler-lifts-off-endangered-species-list/

From our local Police:--

Just dealt with an incident whereby a 74 year old male, ex-Royal Marine was reported to be suicidal. On returning to Station after dealing with the incident began to sort out longer term safeguarding for him. A quick phone call to the Royal Marines, and without hesitation they agree to call him and then attend to see him in person. How great is it to work for such an organisation, that 25 years after retiring they still care for you and bend over backwards to help you out.
#OARMAARM

When I grow up, I want to be BBJ.

I'm not sure you'd really like to be me! - but thank you for the kind thought.
I forgot to mention that today is also my better half's birthday.
And it's being marked in a very special way for today she has become a published author with the release of "Good Girl", a story of 1950s Ireland.
As the blurb says -
"This is the famous story of the ride on Hughie Heaney’s horse, Bob.
As soon as she was settled on his back, he took off. They galloped up the hill with her daddy running after them shouting,
“Hold on, good girl! Hold on!”
"Good Girl" is an illustrated Picture book created by mother and daughter team, Eileen Connolly and Sinéad Poznanski. Inspired by Eileen’s childhood in the west of Ireland in the 1950s, Good Girl tells the story of a little girl having an exhilarating encounter with a runaway horse. Beautifully Illustrated, "Good Girl" is also a tender portrait of the way parents show and express love for their children. This fully illustrated Children's Picture book creates a tender nostalgic look at 1950s Ireland, that will appeal to young children, parents as well as grandparents who grew up in that era.

Just the job for a Christmas stocking filler and available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Girl-...eywords=eileen+connolly&qid=1571217372&sr=8-5

Good Girl.JPG

I expect this won't' mean much to a few on here but to me, this Harley Davidson Fatboy FLSTF, 1450CC Twin Cam is a vision of beauty and that is the sweetest sound in the world.

Last edited: