The new messiah | Vital Football

The new messiah

Kevin sheldon

Vital Youth Team
Well before Christmas I wrote at length regarding my view and instinct over Paul Cook being the new messiah. Well I was perplexed by some of the doubters who clearly could not see his vision and the remarkable job he was doing.

The mess he inherited should not be underestimated and the way he has motivated players and gained their loyalty a sight to behold. The way he has got Powell playing and his desire to stay speaks volumes for cook as a man and manager.

I find his honesty and comments refreshing after games and can only sit back and admire the way the club has progressed under his tutorship. The West Ham game and Bournemouth matches were for differing reasons amongst the best Wigan Athletic performances I have witnessed.

For the record other great performances I see as Everton away quarter final FA Cup. The Reading home game to win promotion unplayable v a team that stormed the League the next year and Port Vale at home 1979 over the Easter break.

Cook has gone about his job in an unassuming and simplistic manner yet results confirm the his status and acumen as a manager. This season will go down in history. Records have been broken more games won than almost any other footbAll team in a style and verve to make you proud. We will get promoted and exciting times are ahead if we retain the manager and the potential financial backing material uses. Paul Cook deserves all the credit that comes his way and hope we can retain in for as long as possible.

well said and i agree with a lot of what you say. your friend clive evans

Great post. His next challenge will be to use his bigger squad wisely, given that most of the forward players should be expecting to play a part. Colclough, Walker, Vaughan, Cole, Jones, Hunt are all currently not in his first choice team. And with a goalkeeper and probably a midfield player to accodate, they wont all get a place even on the bench.

Like Paul Jewell and Roberto Martinez he was a great Latics player and he is also proving to be a great Latic Manager. Long may he continue, right into the Premier League,

Could we sing Cook's praises when he has actually won something with us, thanks!

Good post Grip. Any praise at the moment should go to the board who supported Paul Cook at the last two windows.
He is on his way to being an hero but without the players he inherited we wouldn't even be in a play-off spot.
Let's see what happens before May before we start celebrating.

I don't hear any celebrating just yet.

He inherited Dan Burn, yet the other 4 players in that excellent defence either dint play much or didn't play at all last season.

I'd hardly describe the formation and tactics he employs as inherited.

The general atmosphere around the club is also not remotely reminiscent of what was inherited.

I think some credit is indeed due.

paul cook doing a fantastic job agree ...but with new owners coming in with the intent to get us back into the prem and keep us there will he be the one gary cook will see paul as the man to get the job done
thats if garry cook as is rumoured is to run the club for the new owners also i feel exciting times are on the way for this great club of ours

Get a Grip! - 3/2/2018 10:41

Could we sing Cook's praises when he has actually won something with us, thanks!

Pot, Kettle. You were singing Max Powers praises when he hadnt contributed anything to team for over a year.

jeffs right - 3/2/2018 11:14

Good post Grip. Any praise at the moment should go to the board who supported Paul Cook at the last two windows.
He is on his way to being an hero but without the players he inherited we wouldn't even be in a play-off spot.
Let's see what happens before May before we start celebrating.

We arent celebrating, we are praising him.

Nah, I would much rather sing/support/encourage the team onto glory rather than be cheering them on a lap of honour.
Thanks.

Lazysid - 3/2/2018 12:20

Nah, I would much rather sing/support/encourage the team onto glory rather than be cheering them on a lap of honour.
Thanks.

Good for you. Positive outlook. As Latics fans we are always prepared for and awaiting disapointment, without having to use this platform to broadcast it.

Kevin sheldon - 3/2/2018 14:54

Craig Gillingham?

Loving this code talk. Usually more than one letter that needs changing though. I'll break out the enigma machine just in case it gets more complex :-)

Great initial post btw.

Had a few threads like this with Gary Caldwell. Best manager in our history bla bla bla. I’ve been very impressed with Cook but I’ll judge him fully in the Championship when he has to compete in a far better league with a far inferior budget to other teams. Rather than pissing this pub league with the biggest budget and a couple of Premier League quality players.

C_Latic - 3/2/2018 16:27

Had a few threads like this with Gary Caldwell. Best manager in our history bla bla bla. I’ve been very impressed with Cook but I’ll judge him fully in the Championship when he has to compete in a far better league with a far inferior budget to other teams. Rather than pissing this pub league with the biggest budget and a couple of Premier League quality players.

Agree. Credit to Paul Cook for getting the team playing together and also for getting us playing the type of football we should be.

I like you just hope he doesn't start to play too defensively when we go up.

I remember when Caldwell was hailed as a football genius for getting us out of league 1 I think we should wait & see before we start to give Cook the title of league 1 footballs answer to pep :tophat: