The Matty Cash Thread | Page 36 | Vital Football

The Matty Cash Thread

There is always one of the starting 11 that needs upgrading and it's now Cash's turn. Eventually, it happens to every single player, its life
It’s evolution.

Hopefully we can find an upgrade and get them to agree terms. My feeling is it will be someone from La Liga, unknown to us, just don’t see us spending £50m+ on some like Frimpong although only time will tell.

When the quick ball is on to help launch the counter he’s going back to Konsa, then he’s getting ripped apart defensively. He’s not good enough and should be moved on in the summer.

1st 10 or so minutes looked like he'd got the beating of Burn but one robust challenge later- game over as an attacking outlet. Looks like he's going to take his man on then checks back and passes to Konsa, frustrating.
Feel he could be sacrificed in the summer, possibly double our money and go for Frimpong

As his most vocal detractor I am compelled to say that I think this is the lads last season here. Driven by the fine margins on and off the pitch.

A question to everyone, how does he fit into our preferred system? When he does play what are the impacts to the team? What is he best at?

His first 4-8 weeks of the season was the best football of his life but he has regressed to the point he has completely played himself out of the team. Unless you can open up acres of space he is a dead end. The nail in his coffin for me was seeing how much more positive Konsa is in attacking positions. Unai isn't telling Cash to check back in and keep the ball because I see Konsa playing one-twos and even taking lads on in the box.

With the juggling we need to do for PSR/FFP, Monchi will likely see him as a logical sale. For me his value can only go one way now and that is down. He has a long-term deal until 2027. We need to capitalize on our strong position and his status as a rotational player.

Last edited:
As his most vocal detracted I am compelled to say that I think this is the lads last season here. Driven by the fine margins on and off the pitch.

A question to everyone, how does he fit into our preferred system? When he does play what are the impacts to the team? What is he best at?

His first 4-8 weeks of the season was the best football of his life but he has regressed to the point he has completely played himself out of the team. Unless you can open up acres of space he is a dead end. The nail in his coffin for me was seeing how much more positive Konsa is in attacking positions. Unai isn't telling Cash to check back in and keep the ball because I see Konsa playing one-twos and even taking lads on in the box.

With the juggling we need to do for PSR/FFP, Monchi will likely see him as a logical sale. For me his value can only go one way now and that is down. He has a long-term deal until 2027. We need to capitalize on our strong position and his status as a rotational player.

Agree

I think what makes it worse for me is that he is a converted winger so he should have that natural style of trying to take a player on because he does have the pace.
Instead he continues to cut inside and then play it back. Not sure whether that’s under instruction or not. Who knows.

Agree

I think what makes it worse for me is that he is a converted winger so he should have that natural style of trying to take a player on because he does have the pace.
Instead he continues to cut inside and then play it back. Not sure whether that’s under instruction or not. Who knows.
I used to think it was until I watched Konsa more closely. When Ezri gets into advanced positions he is positive with the ball. I do think Unai wants Cash to be more conservative with the ball and not turn it over. The unintended consequence is Cash always takes the easy way out.

Last night when we nearly got caught out in the first 5 mins. DC and Kamara played some very tight passes that Cash into miles of space. Chelsea overcommitted and he had so much room to carry it which he did but as soon as he encountered a bit of resistance he checked back, passed it backward and Chelsea were able to reset. This is the bravery Unai talks about, Cash needs to play an advanced pass to keep the move going while they're out of position.

We give out about not playing fast enough but its risky. Its frustrating to take the risk and it pay off only for your player to waste the opportunity. I am still angry about it, I've never been more convinced he won't be here. He isn't progressing and I just don't think he has the mentality to play for a team like ours.

I like Cash, he gives everything, he is professional, a good lad but he should be playing for Crystal Palace.

Overall he's been a very good signing . I wouldn't write him off just yet but good he'll have some competition next season plus Hayden is around now if he ever gets a look in.

He certainly seems to have become the whipping boy of the current first teamers which is unfair but he is a player that appears to have hit a ceiling.

He is great at overlapping and bombing on but turns back the second he has the ball with a defender in front of him and his final ball is often poor.

We have set such high standards over the last 12 months that anytime anyone drops below the mostly excellent performance level we've set they look very ordinary. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Cash in the summer with this Serb Lad coming in.

Last edited:
He certainly seems to have become the whipping boy of the current first teamers which is unfair but he is a player that appears to have hit a ceiling.

He is great at overlapping and bombing on but turns back the second he has the ball with a defender in front of him and his final ball is often poor.

We have set such high standards over the last 12 months that anytime anyone drops below the mostly excellent performance level we've set they look very ordinary. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Cash in the summer with this Serb Lad coming in.
Except for the two month period at the start of the season he has been poor under Unai. Young kept him out for almost an entire campaign and its fairly clear Unai prefers 3 CBs. Of the 5 or 6 teams we're competing against he wouldn't play for any of them in any capacity.

Cash is a good player but he doesn't improve the first team and he is one of the few sellable assets we have that we don't really need. I'd love to hear opinions on why that isn't a true statement.

Bit of a mixed bag today , thought he was good and aggressive going forwards but defensively didn't hold the line well today and played on their attackers a couple of times.