The Managerial Merry-go-round Thread 23/24 | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Managerial Merry-go-round Thread 23/24

Added Woy to the list.

What does that do for Palace tonight - out to prove a point, or a half-arsed collapse?

None of the managerial changes this year have triggered a big upturn in fortunes. So far the best change is Wilder, who has just about doubled Sheff Utds win rate and PPG. However, double naff all is still naff all.

Glasner is 5 games in and is on exactly the same PPG as Hodgson was, with only one solitary win against 10 man Burnley in his first game. Two draws and two losses followed it up, and Palace can't be feeling too excited by the appointment right now.

I've been openly critical of Nuno, and his stats over the last 10 games were truly grim. Last night makes things look a little healthier again, and the numbers are now showing an improvement in PPG and win rate since the managerial change. Let's hope this is the platform to kick on, and Nuno can prove me very wrong in my initial assessment of him. I won't be offering ZedRed levels of compensation if he does, but I'll be delighted to hold my hands up and admit judging too quickly.

Last edited:
None of the managerial changes this year have triggered a big upturn on fortunes. So far the best change is Wilder, who has just about doubled Sheff Utds win rate and PPG. However, double naff all is still naff all.

Glasner is 5 games in and is on exactly the same PPG as Hodgson was, with only one solitary won against 10 man Burnley in his first game. Two draws and two losses followed it up, and Palace can't be feeling too excited by the appointment right now.

I've been openly critical of Nuno, and his stats over the last 10 games were truly grim. Last night makes things look a little healthier again, and the numbers are now showing an improvement in PPG and win rate since the managerial change. Let's hope this is the platform to kick on, and Nuno can prove me very wrong in my initial assessment of him. I won't be offering ZedRed levels of compensation if he does, but I'll be delighted to hold my hands up and admit judging too quickly.
I've always said from the start- if Nuno does his job and keeps us up, he will have loyalty from me.

I don't disagree in principle. But there's a distinction to be made by surviving on our own merit, or surviving because our competitors are even worse than we are. I'll take either scenario, but the latter doesn't earn the manager much credit.
Fair point, and I would like us to have pushed on under Nuno as certain people on here promised would be the case. If we could defend set pieces competently we would have done to be fair.

But the goal is survival. It's incredibly difficult. Not as difficult as getting Forest promoted but it's a real achievement and I'll recognise that if he achieves it

Fair point, and I would like us to have pushed on under Nuno as certain people on here promised would be the case. If we could defend set pieces competently we would have done to be fair.

But the goal is survival. It's incredibly difficult. Not as difficult as getting Forest promoted but it's a real achievement and I'll recognise that if he achieves it

have to be honest, it's a bit unfair some of the criticism of nuno- even if the football has been poor at times. He has had to follow Cooper, get thru afcon and injuries, learn and carry on sorting out the 10 new players, deal with a 4pt penalty and all in 20 odd games.

he is clearly a totally different fish to Cooper. seems quiet and steady, not given to heart on sleeve type conversations. that doesn't make him a bad manager, even if it gave the impression he perhaps is not as invested as we want him to be.

any kicking on was always gonna be next season unless we were visited by another miracle. of course his no.1 mission is to keep us up but yesterday was another glimpse at what this team could do and perhaps a little bit of the fire than burns beneath the surface of nuno.

have to be honest, it's a bit unfair some of the criticism of nuno- even if the football has been poor at times. He has had to follow Cooper, get thru afcon and injuries, learn and carry on sorting out the 10 new players, deal with a 4pt penalty and all in 20 odd games.

he is clearly a totally different fish to Cooper. seems quiet and steady, not given to heart on sleeve type conversations. that doesn't make him a bad manager, even if it gave the impression he perhaps is not as invested as we want him to be.

any kicking on was always gonna be next season unless we were visited by another miracle. of course his no.1 mission is to keep us up but yesterday was another glimpse at what this team could do and perhaps a little bit of the fire than burns beneath the surface of nuno.
The squad is unbalanced but the ability is clearly there. We have seen it in glimpses throughout the season under both managers.

Problem is that none of the issues that we can all see are being dealt with. Set pieces at both ends of the pitch are no better.

Nuno is a decent Premier League manager but I am yet to be convinced that he is anything more. It wasn’t the most inspiring of appointments but given our owner’s history it could have been a lot worse.

I did think similar to @Pope John XXIII in that if he keeps us up then he has earned a crack at a full season. After the last ten games though I am not quite as sure as I was. I want to see more of last night. I want to see some progress. You could argue that the increasing PPG is progress but o want to see something that shows me we aren’t going to be in this situation next season.

Not sure exactly what that is but I will know it when I see it.

The squad is unbalanced but the ability is clearly there. We have seen it in glimpses throughout the season under both managers.

Problem is that none of the issues that we can all see are being dealt with. Set pieces at both ends of the pitch are no better.

Nuno is a decent Premier League manager but I am yet to be convinced that he is anything more. It wasn’t the most inspiring of appointments but given our owner’s history it could have been a lot worse.

I did think similar to @Pope John XXIII in that if he keeps us up then he has earned a crack at a full season. After the last ten games though I am not quite as sure as I was. I want to see more of last night. I want to see some progress. You could argue that the increasing PPG is progress but o want to see something that shows me we aren’t going to be in this situation next season.

Not sure exactly what that is but I will know it when I see it.

the fact we can score in open play means if we could just defend a set piece, forgetting about scoring from one, we would be miles better off.

it's also amazing what a bit of cohesion and confidence can add.

still hopeful here.

the fact we can score in open play means if we could just defend a set piece, forgetting about scoring from one, we would be miles better off.

it's also amazing what a bit of cohesion and confidence can add.

still hopeful here.
Hopeful but not expectant.

I read somewhere we have dropped 21 points from winning positions this season. If we only converted half of those to results and picked up 10 from winning positions we would be in 14th even with the deduction.

Those 25 points we've lost (21 dropped and 4 deducted) would actually see us in 6th and the chase for European slots.

We aren't a million miles away, it just feels like it sometimes. A more judicious approach to trading in the summer would go a long way no matter who the manager/head coach is.

that the thing with stats tho, it shows no nuances. Doesnt show cooper had 35 unfit players, whilst nuno came in to more like a 20 fit players who now know each other for 6 months. If we sack the brentford manager now he be the worst manager ever. Managers get sacked in a bad run basically but most of them outside the top 6 have those periods

imo it was a sideways move with both decent managers of similar abilty, we'd have got the same points with either

Hopeful but not expectant.

I read somewhere we have dropped 21 points from winning positions this season. If we only converted half of those to results and picked up 10 from winning positions we would be in 14th even with the deduction.

Those 25 points we've lost (21 dropped and 4 deducted) would actually see us in 6th and the chase for European slots.

We aren't a million miles away, it just feels like it sometimes. A more judicious approach to trading in the summer would go a long way no matter who the manager/head coach is.
those 21 points arent dropped points , that just any time we took the lead. from my memory its always been about 90mins not who scored first lol

neco, omabamidele, aina
danillo, mgw, cho, elanga
wood
Generally accepted as Cooper signings...