The longest transfer saga …that never arrived. | Vital Football

The longest transfer saga …that never arrived.

4evrspurs

Vital Newbie
Bored with the off season already, so was just thinking of the longest transfer sagas weve had to endure that never arrived.

Fernando Morientes
Leandro Damião
João Moutinho

For some reason i have this in my head we were going to sign Pep Guardiola after his Barca days, not sure if i got that wrong anyone else remember this? Also a similar player from Bayern Munich, cant remember his name.
(*edited remembered his name:Stefan Effenberg)

Feel free to add to the list, im sure ive missed plenty however those came to my head first.

:7:

Damaio hands down. Apparently there are rumours.........

Lassana Diarra - there was one poster here who was convinced for about 8 windows that we were just about sign him...

Weren't we linked with Toby when he left Ajax and joined Athletico? Then we were linked again when he went to Saints and finally got our man the season after. Same with Wanyama when he left Scotland and went to Saints before joining us a couple of seasons later.

It also felt like Sandro was a long time linked before he finally joined.

Yep under Hoddle we were after Pep, we nearly got him apparently.

That damn Damaio link was soul destroying as we knew he was shite. lol

I bought the hype and for some reason believed Damaio was the answer to all our problems at the time. Had a good Olympics too, seem to remember him looking a better bet than Neymar with my Spurs tinted glasses on. He was supposedly Benitez first choice for Napoli but they ended up getting their 2nd choice.... HIGUAIN...

Then no one even wanted him on a free transfer two seasons later and now he's back in Brazil being average

In hindsight we not only dodged a bullet in that he turned out to not be all that, but also because it left the way clear for Kane to breakthrough :30: :30:

freundorfoe - 8/6/2017 00:06

I bought the hype and for some reason believed Damaio was the answer to all our problems at the time. Had a good Olympics too, seem to remember him looking a better bet than Neymar with my Spurs tinted glasses on. He was supposedly Benitez first choice for Napoli but they ended up getting their 2nd choice.... HIGUAIN...

Then no one even wanted him on a free transfer two seasons later and now he's back in Brazil being average

In hindsight we not only dodged a bullet in that he turned out to not be all that, but also because it left the way clear for Kane to breakthrough :30: :30:

I recall the lamentations, hand-wringing and recriminations against Levy here when it didn't happen, again and again....I wonder how many now wold put their hands up and say 'I was wrong!' ...

funny old World.

Spursex - 8/6/2017 09:57

I recall the lamentations, hand-wringing and recriminations against Levy here when it didn't happen, again and again....I wonder how many now wold put their hands up and say 'I was wrong!' ...

funny old World.

Oi. You and I both thought it was a done deal. :15:

80deg16minW - 8/6/2017 10:50

Spursex - 8/6/2017 09:57

funny old World.

Oi. You and I both thought it was a done deal. :15:

We did, it all seemed so easy before the third party ownership scuppered it - but everyone and their dog blamed Levy.. as I almost said 'funny old game'..

In fairness to the Levy bashers - It was accurate, Levy still failed to bring in his target (3rd party issues or not) and left us short up front. The fact that target ended up being a busted flush doesn't suddenly make Levy wise, just lucky.

Taricco the yid - 8/6/2017 15:06

Just looked at damiaos career since we ended interest. Its been a train wreck.

AVB would have made him a star. :91:

It never fails to amaze me how ridiculously childish some are regarding whether Levy failed or not, it makes me thank our lucky stars that they are not in charge of the club.
How you can say he failed when you are not in possession of the facts baffles me, that view suggest that supporters of this particular view would pay any fee for our number one target regardless of the clubs valuation.
What if at the last minute the third party owners came in and tried to extort a further £10m, would you pay it? Clearly some would.

Spursex - 7/6/2017 19:26

Lassana Diarra - there was one poster here who was convinced for about 8 windows that we were just about sign him...

Oh Scotty... these were not your finest moments. The long-running feud between him and Barns over the Diarra rumour was glorious.