The less worse old days | Vital Football

The less worse old days

crooktownmags

Vital Squad Member
it pains me to say it but things were surely better (less worse) under the Pardew regime. Pardew was a ghastly man in my view but least we got some decent players through the club before they were sold on at a profit for the greedy fat bastard to trouser. It seems he trusted Carr to unearth a few gems which to be fair he did. Ok we had some shite like (for example) Obertan and Marveaux but at least they was cheap, is Jacob Murphy actually any better? There I have said it.

We had better players because the owner spent a little money, funnily enough that tends to happen in football. As Clough said when asked the secret to management, 'good players'. It doesn't detract from the fact that we were still shit, went through a period of regularly getting tonked by 3 or 4 goals and had one of the biggest arseholes in the game as the mouthpiece for our club. 'That one's for Mike'.

I never had a problem with the 'that ones for Mike' statement - if that was the way he thought he could play Ashley then fair enough. Pardew was outspoken against the regime on a number of occasions but few seem to want to remember them

I have much more of a problem with Benitez doing very little behind the scenes to exert pressure but then whinging to the press everytime he gets an opportunity

I lost all respect for him last Summer after bleating on in public about the lack of activity and then putting his name to that letter

Me I just think Ashley trusted Carr's judgment. So he should of course he made a canny bit of money selling players on. Pardew was a fucking embarrassment. A decent manager would have come close to winning the league with the team he somehow guided to 5th.

We had better players because the owner spent a little money, funnily enough that tends to happen in football. As Clough said when asked the secret to management, 'good players'. .

Totally agree mate. All these top managers just somehow manage to be the same ones who get a kings ransom to spend. Its no coincidence of course we were at the top when we were outspending the vast majority of other clubs.

Benitez has complained long and loud for ages. As justified as it might be, he has not walked out. In my opinion he should have and nobody would have blamed him

Benitez should have walked but didnt because of the money, no point in him moaning about lack of signings he knows the script.

I never had a problem with the 'that ones for Mike' statement - if that was the way he thought he could play Ashley then fair enough. Pardew was outspoken against the regime on a number of occasions but few seem to want to remember them

I have much more of a problem with Benitez doing very little behind the scenes to exert pressure but then whinging to the press everytime he gets an opportunity

I lost all respect for him last Summer after bleating on in public about the lack of activity and then putting his name to that letter
I agree Mc,that was really bad.

When he stood in front of the Sky sports camera and stated the fans should support the team my blood pressure rocketed man,I would not have been surprised if he had added "this is a political broadcast on behalf of the regime".

The excuses he's afforded for still being here are typical of our fans.
From his watertight contract to now losing six million if he walks.

If he does go which i'm not convinced he will,wtf will Ashley do ?
I know many on here say the 50,000 will follow the club come what may,but they love Benitez he's been the glue.

If its true that he initially approached Ashley it very much looks like he's signed up to the first offer put in front of him - put up with all the shit and just do your job

In a few months time if he goes (I share the same doubts as you) the club will be in a worse place than when he came yet the fans will hail him as some kind of messiah who Ashley didn't support

Another 3 wasted seasons under Ashley's tenure fully endorced by the Faithfull - it really is heartbreaking

Last edited:
If its true that he initially approached Ashley it very much looks like he's signed up to the first offer put in front of him - put up with all the shit and just do your job

In a few months time if he goes (I share the same doubts as you) the club will be in a worse place than when he came yet the fans will hail him as some kind of messiah who Ashley didn't support

Another 3 wasted seasons under Ashley's tenure fully enforced by the Faithfull - it really is heartbreaking
Aye...

Another 3 wasted seasons under Ashley's tenure fully endorced by the Faithfull - it really is heartbreaking

Agree with most of that bar the "faithful" bit.

They are a disgrace..... not getting off their ar5es to do something about it....

Usual non news from that idiot Ryder in the local rag
Benitez will not walk and will sit down with Ashley in February to see what he will offer. What a farce.
While Ashley remains we are cooked.
Where was he yesterday, putting in bids for more high street businesses using Newcastle money.
Where has Charnley been recently, in hiding.
Still as the rag will say, 5 things we learned from yesterday:
The defence is crap
The midfield is crap
The strikers are non existant
The tactics are crap
The club is doomed
But the fans will continue to fill Mikes coffers

I don't think I can recall feeling as low and hopeless about the future of our club, I'm going to watch Bobby Robson More Than A Manager today, to take us back to a time when our club had respect and ambition.

I'm totally with you PK. There's no point to the football club and they may as well close the gates as far as I'm concerned.

I've got a different view on Benitez and I feel he's desperate for the club to at least try and realise it's potential and he's fighting (fought) a losing battle trying to get the fat pig to see sense. The statement at the start of the season wasn't very helpful but he will see out his contract and leave at the end of the season. Hopefully a fair few of the self-proclaimed `loyalist supporters in the world' might follow him out of the door.

It will be interesting to see who replaces Rafa and lets hope it's in The Championship'. The club under Ashley doesn't deserve to be in the Premier League and the supporters even less so.

Onwards and downwards we go.

I genuinely don't think I've seen an ounce of fight in Benitez Vin

I've seen a shit load of begrudged acceptance from him though

Is that apart from continually fighting for transfer funds since we were promoted to the PL, fighting for funds to overhaul the academy and funds to improve the training facilities.