The Carabao Cup Thread | Page 58 | Vital Football

The Carabao Cup Thread

The draw we needed. It'll give us the chance to get players like Traore, Bailey and Sanson up to speed (and our new no.6?).

Not the most exciting debut for Bailey...but he'll need match fitness.

Youth system at Villa is brilliant, plus we have squad depth and players returning from injury, so an easy win and a long old cup run.

Steer

Guilbert
Tuanzebe
Bogarde
Hause

Ramsey
Hourihane
Chukwuemeka

Bidace
El Ghazi
B. Young
I would expect a couple more senior guys in the team to build up fitness at this stage of the season to be honest, and are we going to risk a humiliating exit by playing the youngsters? Last year we played a reasonable strong side at this stage of the cup

Hope we don't CARRY A LOAD of injuries into the Barrow game.

Don't want to PUSH it v Barrow (stolen from Skeggy!)

For me Barrow's Holker Street ground shares with the old Sealand Road ground at Chester, the distinction of being the only two grounds I've walked out of before the games had finished - in both cases to catch the last train to get me back home.

Chester was a 2 1 win in the League Cup in August at the start of Tommy Docherty's first full season at Villa Park in a sea of mistaken optimism in 1969, ending with our relegation to Division 3.

Four weeks later I watched Barrow draw one each with Orient on a Tuesday night at Holker Street. At half time the steel works just behind one goal belched out clouds of filthy smoke so thick (and smelly) that for several minutes at the start of the second half it was impossible to see both goals, Peter Brabrook (ex West Ham and England) was the most famous player on show that night, playing for Orient at the end of his career.

This was all part of a mad week, watching 5 games, using a 'railway runabout' ticket that cost in my memory just a couple of quid. Burnley 1 Leeds 1, Monday; Barrow, Tuesday; Workington 2 Wrexham 0, Wednesday; and another sad climax, watching Villa lose 1 0 at Ayrsome Park to Middlesbrough on the Saturday.

My only other trip to Holker Street also ended in disappointment, watching Stenhousemuir, lose 3 2 in a pre season friendly about 30 years later. I doubt the ground has changed that much - a trip to Barrow is like a step back in time anyway.

I didn't even know Barrow were back in the league. I've actually been to Barrow in Furness on one of my Dad's excursions when we went to the lake district about 50 years ago. I have a vague memory of sitting on some concrete dock looking out to sea
You sure that wasn't San Francisco Otis?

Perhaps unsurprisingly, there are already 13 pages of posts on the Barrow AFC Football Forum on the Villa game - mainly about tickets. One post speculates, wondering about the last time Barrow played former European Champions - only to be reminded they actually played Celtic in 2009 in their 100 year game!

I would expect a couple more senior guys in the team to build up fitness at this stage of the season to be honest, and are we going to risk a humiliating exit by playing the youngsters? Last year we played a reasonable strong side at this stage of the cup
Strong? :unsure: Erm that side contained Angela Lansbury..... :grinning: