The Last Time The Imps Faced Portsmouth | Vital Football

The Last Time The Imps Faced Portsmouth

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
"Pompey will face Lincoln for the first time in 36 years following the latter's League Two title success last term.

You have to go all the way back to the 1982/83 campaign to find the last time that the clubs shared a division.

It has been a remarkable rise for the Imps, who finished top of the National League two seasons ago and followed that up with a play-off defeat 12 months later."

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2019/june/league-one-newcomers-lincoln/

Just been talking about this forthcoming fixture with my 'kid" who now lives in Gosport. Should be no problem with our away allocation for that game. I hope.

Just been talking about this forthcoming fixture with my 'kid" who now lives in Gosport. Should be no problem with our away allocation for that game. I hope.
The standard away allocation at Fratton is 1,400. Can see that selling out, depending on when we go there.

During the late '70s to early '80s Pompey was a regular fixture for the Imps. I recall visting FP either '81 or '82 to see a 1-1 draw.

The standard away allocation at Fratton is 1,400. Can see that selling out, depending on when we go there.

Should be no problem, if a mid-week game, believe they can do up to 2,8k though.

Only 26 mins from my kids house by ferry and bus.

Remember Portsmouth visiting in their corner of Sincil Bank terrace. I remember in those days between the red segregation barriers were police motorcyclists who stood between both sets of fans, clearly without their bikes but complete with helmets on.

didn't they hammer us in a midweek home game in that season where we fell away badly after being top at christmas...

Apart from the 0-3 midweek home defeat in 82/83 .... the one that sticks out for me is the 1-0 home victory in 1980 when Phil Turner netted late on. Pompey fans brought loads of ticker-tape (Argentina 78' style) and it literally covered the Sinny Bank pitch .... and 2nd half a load of them walked round the back of the Imps fans to the NW corner of the Westbank to watch the 2nd half.

I remember that night game, I think they had a young Neil Webb playing although I can't remember much about the game except they outclassed us and were playing in white stockings. Bit annoying after encountering some cocky Pompey fans before the game on The Golden Eagle.