The Kent Derby | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Kent Derby

It's a fab away game that for most Gills 'locals' is less than an hour away.
The sort of game we could easily sell thousands of tickets for.
We'll be lucky to get a a few hundred.
When they visit us we could accomodate most of their average home attendance.
Would think that potential increased revenue via ground improvement isn`t lost on the Bromley owner. Whether it`ll happen in time for GFC`s visit in 24/25 is another matter. Perhaps the fixture schedulers will be thoughtful enough to make the Bromley v Gills game a midweek affair - thereby giving us the opportunity to watch it on iFollow/Sky Follow/Now Then - or whatever if will be.

One of the more bizarre arguments throughout the history of this board

Whether it's London or Kent its a local game, it'll be our Boxing day and Easter game and most of us won't get a ticket for the away game.

Maybe the Bromley fans are debating whether Gillingham is in Kent given our unitary authority ;-) suspect their just celebrating promotion and good luck to them.
:shake:
I have to take issue with you here M in K. This debate is of crucial importance, second only to the precise location of the Queen's Head.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could question my authority, borne out of expertise, in this matter.

Would think that potential increased revenue via ground improvement isn`t lost on the Bromley owner. Whether it`ll happen in time for GFC`s visit in 24/25 is another matter. Perhaps the fixture schedulers will be thoughtful enough to make the Bromley v Gills game a midweek affair - thereby giving us the opportunity to watch it on iFollow/Sky Follow/Now Then - or whatever if will be.
They should think of playing their home game with us at the spotters or Nigels gaff to fit us all in. Their both definately in that there London I'll add.
My cousins wer'e born & raised in Bromley and have always seen themselves as Kentish & not Londoners.

It's a snob thing claiming Bromley is in Kent rather than sarf London.
Sarf London is Sarf London....
...which morphs into Kent around Grove Park / Mottingham / Eltham.

And for what it's worth, Hayes Lane is Sarf. Bromley.....
....with paddocks and horses alongside !

:shake:
I have to take issue with you here M in K. This debate is of crucial importance, second only to the precise location of the Queen's Head.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could question my authority, borne out of expertise, in this matter.

That's why I only counted it as "one of the most" and "not the most".

It's a snob thing claiming Bromley is in Kent rather than sarf London.
Nah, dont think its being snobby, after all some parts of South London are far more upmarket than Bromley. Maybe its to do with people being proud of their counties and being pissed off with boundary changes placing them in a county they dont want to be part of. I know people in Bournemouth who still say its Hampshire despite being told its Dorset. Here in Portsmouth, wer'e meant to be in Hampshire but Hampshire dont want us, now thats snobbery.

Nah, dont think its being snobby, after all some parts of South London are far more upmarket than Bromley. Maybe its to do with people being proud of their counties and being pissed off with boundary changes placing them in a county they dont want to be part of. I know people in Bournemouth who still say its Hampshire despite being told its Dorset. Here in Portsmouth, wer'e meant to be in Hampshire but Hampshire dont want us, now thats snobbery.

How long ago was Bournemouth in Hampshire? As a kid late 60’s early 70’s we often had our family holidays there (and Poole) and it was always Bournemouth, Dorset to us back then.

Actually, just googled and it seems Bournemouth was Hampshire until 1974. Then classed as Dorset. For whatever reason it was in Dorset in the decade before that when we went there regularly. Wierd.

My official postal address ends with KENT. So have the post office got this wrong all these years? How come I consistently get mail delivered to me successfully? Perhaps they should sack some more sub postmasters for getting my address wrong. :rolleyes:

When Kent CCC play at Beckenham, is it an away game?

Postal counties are different and lots of them are anachronisms. Post to Bristol still has 'Avon' on it despite that authority not existing in any meaningful way for decades. I get letters addressed to 'Dyfed' which again only really exists to the post office.

Bromley is in London!

I'm firmly of the opinion that Bromley is in London. But if they wish to self-identify as Kent I can be welcoming.
However, if they are Kent, they are clearly on the wrong side of the Medway so definitely wrong'uns!

It's a fab away game that for most Gills 'locals' is less than an hour away.
The sort of game we could easily sell thousands of tickets for.
We'll be lucky to get a a few hundred.
When they visit us we could accomodate most of their average home attendance.
Can’t see that the league, police and other authorities would allow them to give us just a few hundred tickets on safety and fairness grounds.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Bromley is in London. But if they wish to self-identify as Kent I can be welcoming.
However, if they are Kent, they are clearly on the wrong side of the Medway so definitely wrong'uns!
UK boundaries confuse us Brits. Start talking city limits in your neck of the woods and that really would baffle us !

20 odd years ago I might have agreed that it spiritually felt a bit more like Kent than London over there. Not anymore though. When work brings me there these days it looks like London, priced like London, full of Londoners with their London ways. It's London.

Only a matter of time before enclaves and exclaves get mentioned. Maybe Hayes Lane could be a Kent Exclave (or is that enclave ?)
In the U.S. London would probably be re-defined as a dozen or more (separate) Cities. Think there`s one in Kansas with a population of less than a dozen people.
Isle of Dogs in London, England might be an exclave !