The January Transfer Window 2023 | Page 97 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Window 2023

If it's £25m then you have to take that for Ings, I think. Can't see it being that high, but we should play hard ball. For the teams he's been linked with he could be the difference between relegation and staying up, and for a team to stay up, it's worth the £25m easily.

If Ings goes we need a striker as well as a winger. We can't just replace Ings with a winger and leave it at that

Delefou can play as winger + striker - so I'd guess he's the replacement.
Makes more sense on a finance pov than footballing pov imo.

not sure I get the logic of selling him to desperate relegation stragglers for anything less than an extortionate fee tbh (esp if that's wasted on delefou who scored less than the player West Ham bought for £35 mill who can't score).

hefty fee and a decent striker lined up then start the car

But I don't want West Ham to solve their goals shortage. I want their goals shortage to get worse if anything.

I'm not convinced he solves their problems, Moyesy loves sticking one man up front to fend for themselves. He isn't using Scamacca properly so I highly doubt he'll use Ings right either, just like Brucie "6'5 eh? Must be a target man".

Shipping him off to any of those teams for 15M is a great deal for us IMO. A 6 figure salary striker turning 31 with 18 months left on the deal who has started less than 50% of the games he's been available. Seems like a good idea to cash in. TBF to Ings he's done alright, I'd give him a 6 out 10 for time with us. Just wasn't a good decision and I think whoever he goes to will discover that too.

Ings isn’t good at leading the line. He was always better throughout with another up with him but we don’t play like that. That being said, neither do West Ham.

Ings is alright as an impact sub but he’s bowling out of his arse after 5 mins.

Leaving just Watkins and the Duran 19 year old seems crazy though unless we have something better lined up and not just a winger as we need one of those anyway.

Well if Ings really is going it surely means another striker is incoming and hopefully in the next couple of days. The Moussa Dembele rumours make sense and he’s out of contract in the summer so will be available for a small fee

Can't say I'm a huge fan of his as overall he's been pretty poor since joining us in my opinion. Missed far too many good chances last season for someone with the reputation of being a finisher and although he's been better this season in terms of finishing he's still struggled to offer anything bar the odd flash of quality.

However unless we've a proper replacement lined up then I'd be hesitant to sell him this month. We can't go the rest of the season with Watkins and Duran as the only strikers.

Goals per 90 mins this season Ings 0.61 Bailey 0.35 Watkins 0.22 he is doing better than the rest and 3 times better than Watkins.

True but he did the square root of nothing vs Stevenage. It’s true a striker needs service but therein lies one of the issues with keeping him. This service issue is not going to change this transfer window. Least not for a striker like him. He’s wasted playing for us and shipping him off to West Ham is a dream. It’s looks like they’re putting in as much thought into buying him as we did.

I really really like Ings. He is a good footballer. Much better all round player than I thought he was. However being good isn’t enough. He doesn’t fit the current system and he most likely doesn’t not fit the future system. He doesn’t quite seem to be an Emery player. He’ll be 31 with 12 months left on his deal by the time we figure out what to do with him.

Emery is here to build something and I don’t think you do that with an aging striker who has had serious injuries that have quite clearly affected his game.

I wonder if the links like this are largely based on what Villareal were doing and he remember some of the targets. While I’m sure he is familiar with the likes of Moreno I wonder if the likes of him and Delafeou are popping up because that was the strategy at Villareal. Bring in older players now who don’t cost a lot but who can perform and are maybe underappreciated.

Then focus some of the bigger spends on young players who have some risk but could command bigger fees. Allegedly Duran was known to Emery through Villareal.

While I wouldn’t have expected us to spend big this window it may explain why we haven’t. Villareal didn’t look for big money transfers because they couldn’t afford. Not that that’s what Unai usually did anyway.

True but he did the square root of nothing vs Stevenage. It’s true a striker needs service but therein lies one of the issues with keeping him. This service issue is not going to change this transfer window. Least not for a striker like him. He’s wasted playing for us and shipping him off to West Ham is a dream. It’s looks like they’re putting in as much thought into buying him as we did.

I really really like Ings. He is a good footballer. Much better all round player than I thought he was. However being good isn’t enough. He doesn’t fit the current system and he most likely doesn’t not fit the future system. He doesn’t quite seem to be an Emery player. He’ll be 31 with 12 months left on his deal by the time we figure out what to do with him.

Emery is here to build something and I don’t think you do that with an aging striker who has had serious injuries that have quite clearly affected his game.

Watkins was ill v Brighton and Ings bagged us 3 points.
He rescued us a point v wolves and put a winner on the plate for bailey in the same game.

I get Emery needs funds to shape the squad as he likes - but this move should be in the summer - not now.
Plenty of clubs still be interested in the summer.

Goals per 90 mins this season Ings 0.61 Bailey 0.35 Watkins 0.22 he is doing better than the rest and 3 times better than Watkins.
He can’t lead the line and offers very little for the most part, I can see why he could be off, he doesn’t fit the system and probably would like to be a regular starter somewhere.

If Unai is up for Ings leaving then we have to trust he knows what he's doing. Maybe there's a replacement in the pipeline we don't know about or Duran is seen as said player. Who knows for certain as we're very good at keeping our cards close to our chest? It would, however, make a change for us to at least recoup some of the transfer fee we paid for him, get his,I presume, high wages off the books instead of giving players away for next to nothing, which we have a long history of.