The January Transfer Thread | Page 82 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Thread

Rowe looks very promising and I could certainly see him standing in for Watkins. Looks very quick with good feet and an eye for goal.

Sign him up.

Rowe looks very promising and I could certainly see him standing in for Watkins. Looks very quick with good feet and an eye for goal.

Sign him up.

The thing with saying sign him up is, have the club got enough wiggle room financially to do it in this window or, will it be better to wait until summer?

I think Emery's interest in Rogers at Middlesborough is a bit off target to be honest.
Boro want £10-£12 million for Rogers but, we sold Philogene for £5 million who is a similar style player and further advanced than Rogers. Maybe Emery see's him as a possible back-up to Ollie because of his pace and height, he's 6'4".

Probably 15-20m, he is in the final 18 months of his deal.

Which would make it a non starter - at least in this window.
Can't see us not willing to pay £10m for Rodgers - yet splash £5 - £10m more on another player from the same division and playing in a similar position.

Last edited:
Rowe is 5ft 8in so more of a Bailey or Diaby type, Rogers is 6 ft3 in, so a completely different type who could do the Ollie role, however having watched him against Chelsea he'd need to up his work rate tenfold.

Rowe is 5ft 8in so more of a Bailey or Diaby type, Rogers is 6 ft3 in, so a completely different type who could do the Ollie role, however having watched him against Chelsea he'd need to up his work rate tenfold.
Thats probably a good point tbh and why we want rodgers and not rowe.

Im guessing unai wants different types of players for when things need changing. Another bailey type is probably wont be dnt need as we have diaby who is very similar too

Probably 15-20m, he is in the final 18 months of his deal.
No PL experience at all, not even a PL club he's been at, unlike Rogers.

I don't see the point of selling Ramsey, Archer and Bidace who were not going to play then replacing them with more players of similar standard and age who are also not going to be anything but bench polishers, this season.

I don't see the point of selling Ramsey, Archer and Bidace who were not going to play then replacing them with more players of similar standard and age who are also not going to be anything but bench polishers, this season.
It's called FFP or P and S whatever you want to call it. We do however appear to be targeting young with a high ceiling. It also appears to be our current method.

It works if the players you bring in are the same price and better, otherwise may as well trouser the money for a rainy day.
I get this is the latest thinking from the ITK experts but is it correct or just more guesswork?
It's the way it works. If you sell a home grown for say 10m. It all onto your P&S spending allowance. If you buy a player for 10m over say a 5 year contract, it costs you 2m per year. It's a silly system IMO and encourages teams to sell players they have developed.
Edit.
Please correct if anyone knows better?

It works if the players you bring in are the same price and better, otherwise may as well trouser the money for a rainy day.
I get this is the latest thinking from the ITK experts but is it correct or just more guesswork?
I don't think it's about being a better player necessarily, as all the players we let go are clearly talented (albeit not at the standard we need yet).

The youngsters we've been linked with fit the Emery system and style better than the likes of Ramsey, Archer and Philogene.

Both Rogers and Rowe are big, strong and fast, and can play in all 3 positions behind or alongside the striker. A different profile to what we currently offer.

Rogers looks like more of a headscratcher to me given he still doesn't have a huge amount of experience or success. Rowe however...

It would be good to see the reality of what this does to the accounts. Feels like a rob Peter to pay Paul sort of thing. We're going to steal money from our future so we can get Pau and Diaby but we'll have to pay a premium to back fill positions we already had.

Thats what it feels like, a temporary short-term boost for the books. I'm not an accountant but it feels like we're cooking the books.