The January Transfer Thread | Page 54 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Thread

Honestly can't see us signing anyone to be honest which I'm fine with. I do think we need a couple but I will always defer to Unai's opinion. He's correct in only wanting players that improve us. Squad filler signings rarely work out.

You aren’t wrong at all, but the problem is the things you’ve described that Kamara does (and what Dendoncker doesn’t do) are fundamental to Emery’s system in which central ball progression through the midfield is key. If Dendoncker can’t offer that then he has a very limited use here, other than emergency back up and to come off the bench for 5 minutes to shut up shop and win headers
Boro at the weekend was a good example of the other pros and cons. His positioning allowed Kamara to be aggressive and win the ball higher up field. They also had to play the ball wide to get around him.

Boro figured that out in the second half and once the game became stretched it virtually negates Dendonker who doesn't have the mobility to get around. United did something similar.

To me Dendonker is like a "use cases" player. There are specific game states and situations where he is very effective but its unlikely you can use him for 90 minutes unless you spend the whole game with 10 men behind the ball.

Because players need to play, unlike the seasoned vets who have had that development already. Players under a certain age or at a certain point in development will do better close to home.

Kellyman vs. Tim is the best example, Tim needs to play and he isn't going to be trusted ahead of Dendonker. He spent 12 months at a very average Championship side and nearly 6 months injured. He is not going to be trusted in ahead of Dendonker. And its not like its just Dendonker he has to usurp, McGinn is preferred at CM and Tielemens too.

The sad reality we consistently forget is these kids are not good enough. It's always give the kids a go, we did that under Houllier and except for Albrighton they all did nothing. Jack and JJ have performed best and they were very well managed.
I think its abit worryong that we seem to invest in youth but not many are deemed good enough to make the step up.

Hopefully in next few years we might see some more break through

Honestly can't see us signing anyone to be honest which I'm fine with. I do think we need a couple but I will always defer to Unai's opinion. He's correct in only wanting players that improve us. Squad filler signings rarely work out.
You're probably right if you actually look at the squad and the expectations of those involved:

Needed:
RB - I think this is a difficult signing to make while Lenglet is on loan because his game time is limited as it is.

Wanted:
Attacker (LM/RM/SS) - for 3 positions we already have McGinn, Tielemens, Zaniolo, Ramsey, Bailey and Diaby plus Emi2 to potentially come back for game time near the end of the season.
DM/CM - If Dendonker were to go we'll line something up but again between Kamara, Dendonker, Dougie, Tielemens and McGinn nothing is happening here.
GK - Olsens contract is up in the summer, its another position that has to just wait.

Wildcards:
LB - If Digne is sold we will probably buy Acuna.
CF - Unless Duran is loaned out nothing happens here.

We have to remember that we still have 24 senior players in the squad come the season end assuming we don't sign Zaniolo or Lenglet or give Olsen a new contract.
Hause isn't register and there is no guarantee we'll be shot of Coutinho or Sanson. Bert will be let go but I wouldn't be surprised to see Olsen handed a new deal. That means we have 25 senior players of which at least 5 simply are no where near it.

You're probably right if you actually look at the squad and the expectations of those involved:

Needed:
RB - I think this is a difficult signing to make while Lenglet is on loan because his game time is limited as it is.

Wanted:
Attacker (LM/RM/SS) - for 3 positions we already have McGinn, Tielemens, Zaniolo, Ramsey, Bailey and Diaby plus Emi2 to potentially come back for game time near the end of the season.
DM/CM - If Dendonker were to go we'll line something up but again between Kamara, Dendonker, Dougie, Tielemens and McGinn nothing is happening here.
GK - Olsens contract is up in the summer, its another position that has to just wait.

Wildcards:
LB - If Digne is sold we will probably buy Acuna.
CF - Unless Duran is loaned out nothing happens here.

We have to remember that we still have 24 senior players in the squad come the season end assuming we don't sign Zaniolo or Lenglet or give Olsen a new contract.
Hause isn't register and there is no guarantee we'll be shot of Coutinho or Sanson. Bert will be let go but I wouldn't be surprised to see Olsen handed a new deal. That means we have 25 senior players of which at least 5 simply are no where near it.

I think Unai said if Hause was still with us come the end of January he'd be registered.

I've seen a few things claiming the club Coutinho is on loan at don't might send him back so we might end up with him as well. Though apparently it they'd have to pay us €25m to break the loan.

Unai said if they cannot get anyone who brings a noticeable improvement, it will not be done. I have complete faith for a change.
I'd rather us be sensible (it's possible to be both sensible and ambitious in the mid-longer term, January is always a weird one) than spend like Arsenal who have seemingly gone a touch backwards. I trust them as well. We will gradually improve our options all over the pitch.

I'd rather us be sensible (it's possible to be both sensible and ambitious in the mid-longer term, January is always a weird one) than spend like Arsenal who have seemingly gone a touch backwards. I trust them as well. We will gradually improve our options all over the pitch.
Doug was "sensible " He who dares,Rodney.

We might have a minor Leicester situation in the sense that we will have a full 25 man senior squad in the summer assuming we don't sign Lenglet or Zaniolo, Traore leaves on a free, Olsen signs a new contract and Sanson & Coutinho don't make their loans permanent.

Thankfully Hause, Chambers and Sanson's deals only run to 2025. Coutinho, Dendonker and Buendia's run to 2026 so we could potentially get some cash back on the latter two.

This new Adidas deal should boost FFP significantly considering the Castore deal was only 3m/yr (Newcastles deal is 40m). And of course if we can land CL football it will be enormous, add in conference performance payments and things are looking very good for us.

Doug was "sensible " He who dares,Rodney.
100% but there was no FFP then. By sensible I don't mean "don't spend". I mean only buy players that actually improve the squad and Unai wants, which might mean waiting until the summer for some targets. Obviously I'd love us to strengthen if we can.