The Idiot Box | Vital Football

The Idiot Box

ST2

Vital Football Legend
currently not so stupid imho

There is some great tv currently, particularly series. This is a thread for all to express their faves or berate series and tv generally. (about time we re-did this topic)

Far and away the most draw-dropping for me is Line of Duty - I ended up standing in the middle of the room for tha last 10-15 mins. Audacious writing and flawless acting, not least Keeley Hawes

MAy not be a popular choice but am also really enjoying Elementary with Jonny Lee Miller and his method acting hands. He's mesmerising. Am I the only one here to find BBC's Sherlock unwatchable? Overly camp, full of itself and immensely irritating. Bit like Gibbs

Also enjoyed the massively over the top last series of American Horror - the creepiest title sequence of all time. Gory and glorious.

Big fans in our house of the Borgias (Jeremy Irons must have terrible indigestion from all that scenery chewing. He's currently No1 in our personal overacting chart.

can take or leave Game of Thrones but as Mrs ST loves it I have to take it. Too many similar looking hairy mofos for me to differentiate......or be bothered to.

Let's see now......enjoying Fleming as a quality bit of froth. If it was a person it would like to be Noel Coward. just about hanging in there with Mob City - funny one - I like it but every time we go to clear the Sky+ it never gets chosen?

But the 2 main reasons I started this thread are the fifth series of something we only picked up on in the 4th series and the one that starts tonight

Southland imo is outstanding and how the hell I missed the first 3 series is beyond me. Have persuaded a couple of mates to watch it by describing it as 'a West coast contemporary version of Hill St Blues' so if that idea appeals I urge you to try it. Gritty, character driven and almost up there with the Wire and Sopranos. Its on MOre4 which is probably why I missed it - I recall trying to watch the Sopranos on its first airing on CH4 and they kept constantly changing the TX time and day, the fuckwits. The box set of the first 2 series arrived from Amazon today (only £11!) so looking forward to watching that when time allows.

Which brings me to the reason why this thread is today:

TRUE DETECTIVE

It looks amazing and the online buzz is huge from those who have seen it (USA). Must admit we have been observing the renaissance of Matthew Mac for some time now. He's gone from vacuous pretty boy to intense actor in the last few years. Loved Killer Joe (chicken anybody?) and of course now he's up for an OScar for Dallas wotsit. I really hope it lives up to expectation and is as deep and moody as the trailers

Finally one thing not on tv but seen recently and massively recommended is the Muscle Shoals doc recently released. An exceptionally well produced and directed music documentary about the legendary studio, sound and backing band. Really, really excellent and up there with 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown'

Hope one or 2 of you try Southland or watch Muscle Shoals as a result of this thread. So what's your faves and what do you hate.

As Marx said, I find television very educational - every time someone switches it on I go next door and read a good book.

No, not that Marx!

Southland, yes ST! More4 have just started showing the final season. I have the first episode of True Detective recorded too, not watched it yet though.

we've already watched 3 episodes off the first 2 series box set SG - fantastic drama.

Hope you enjoy TD, rivetting but uneasy viewing. Very dark.

My perennial gripe - Craperation Street! WHAT A PATHETIC PROGRAMME. If I wanted to be depressed or wanted to progress suicide, I would watch it as part of the course.

I always remember Jasper Carrott saying about Benny in Crosssroads (I know, that's going back a bit), "He must be a fantastic actor to play the part of Benny, but there's the anomily, if he's such a good actor, WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING IN CROSSROADS?" The way I feel about all the people in Coronation Street.

The next thing that's hard to take sometimes is the news. I like to watch it once a day but it can be quite negative sometimes.
As an alternative news programme I really enjoy watching CBN's (Yank TV) 700 club on one of the 'God' channels. They do great work helping in villages and various disaster zones and is not negative like most TV news programmes.

I like many of the serious science documentaries on SKY, - the way to expand your mind! Mine's now 2 inches across!!!! Why did my wife just go "Hmmmff"?

ST2 - 22/2/2014 13:49

currently not so stupid imho

There is some great tv currently, particularly series. This is a thread for all to express their faves or berate series and tv generally. (about time we re-did this topic)

Far and away the most draw-dropping for me is Line of Duty - I ended up standing in the middle of the room for tha last 10-15 mins. Audacious writing and flawless acting, not least Keeley Hawes

MAy not be a popular choice but am also really enjoying Elementary with Jonny Lee Miller and his method acting hands. He's mesmerising. Am I the only one here to find BBC's Sherlock unwatchable? Overly camp, full of itself and immensely irritating. Bit like Gibbs

Also enjoyed the massively over the top last series of American Horror - the creepiest title sequence of all time. Gory and glorious.

Big fans in our house of the Borgias (Jeremy Irons must have terrible indigestion from all that scenery chewing. He's currently No1 in our personal overacting chart.

can take or leave Game of Thrones but as Mrs ST loves it I have to take it. Too many similar looking hairy mofos for me to differentiate......or be bothered to.

Let's see now......enjoying Fleming as a quality bit of froth. If it was a person it would like to be Noel Coward. just about hanging in there with Mob City - funny one - I like it but every time we go to clear the Sky+ it never gets chosen?

But the 2 main reasons I started this thread are the fifth series of something we only picked up on in the 4th series and the one that starts tonight

Southland imo is outstanding and how the hell I missed the first 3 series is beyond me. Have persuaded a couple of mates to watch it by describing it as 'a West coast contemporary version of Hill St Blues' so if that idea appeals I urge you to try it. Gritty, character driven and almost up there with the Wire and Sopranos. Its on MOre4 which is probably why I missed it - I recall trying to watch the Sopranos on its first airing on CH4 and they kept constantly changing the TX time and day, the fuckwits. The box set of the first 2 series arrived from Amazon today (only £11!) so looking forward to watching that when time allows.

Which brings me to the reason why this thread is today:

TRUE DETECTIVE

It looks amazing and the online buzz is huge from those who have seen it (USA). Must admit we have been observing the renaissance of Matthew Mac for some time now. He's gone from vacuous pretty boy to intense actor in the last few years. Loved Killer Joe (chicken anybody?) and of course now he's up for an OScar for Dallas wotsit. I really hope it lives up to expectation and is as deep and moody as the trailers

Finally one thing not on tv but seen recently and massively recommended is the Muscle Shoals doc recently released. An exceptionally well produced and directed music documentary about the legendary studio, sound and backing band. Really, really excellent and up there with 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown'

Hope one or 2 of you try Southland or watch Muscle Shoals as a result of this thread. So what's your faves and what do you hate.

Watched all of the Sopranos on my SKY box over a week when Mrs B was away!!
:1:

Great stuff n Tony's character was amazing as he was a king pin and ruthless murderer but still had to put up with all of the family shite we all have to do!
:13:

As for Line of Duty, once again an inspired choice as I really fancy Keeley but she can act too as proven in Ashes to Ashes!!
:14:

As im a tv addict I can also recommend "Silk" on earlier tonite!

Maxine Peak, no tits but very sexy!!
:naughty:

ST2 - 23/2/2014 14:44

True Detective was fantastic last night

True Detective is fantastic every night.
It's simply the best thing on television right now. With only 2 episodes to go, it has some serious things to tie up and arcs to bend in only two hours.

Episode 6 has sunk another battleship and Nic Pizzolatto has concocted a script of characters like none other I have ever come across.

Amazing series.

cant wait for next episode on Sat (and no I'm not gonna download them)

Have now watched 4 episodes of first series of Southland and every one's a cracker

BAz - with you mate on the Keeley fixation but have to say fair play for being made so dowdy for Line of Duty. Rivetting performance

Really can't wait for the new GOT season to start. Having recently purchased Netflix I've not watched too much of the new programming on the tele, but have gone through The Tudors and Pillars of the Earth, both of which were great.

Got to decide on what to watch next between Breaking Bad and Dexter.... Or any other suggestions that are on Netflix of course

try Southland, 11pm Thursdays on More 4 dave - its episodic so you can pick it up easy

STOP PRESS!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

:143:

TADA!

:141:

The Muscle Shoals doc is on BBC4 next Friday 7th MArch so you can all watch it now. Dont miss it!

If you know anybody who had a worse childhood than Rick Hall the boss and head producer give them my condolences:

3 year old brother boiled alive
mother went off on the game
father crushed under falling tractor

No wonder he was so driven

Good to read the reviews on true Detective, not had any time lately to catch up on the box - except footy of course (did anyone else watch RM last night; made me weep at the loss of Modric and Bale).

I quite like elementary for 'sit back and not think TV, and did enjoy the following, but latest series has got a bit absurd this time around.

After I watched the 1st episode of true detective, I wasn't sure I was going to stick with it. Well i'm glad I did. Excellent TV, and matthew mcconaughey is superb.

My favourite show from america is Sons of Anarchy. Excellent TV show.