High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk | Page 5 | Vital Football

High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk

Difficult one isn't it? Should he be trying to talk things up? Probably not. Can it be ascribed to Brexit? No idea. It has led to more market uncertainty, but we weren't in a great position before really.

You have to hope the honesty helps settle things and avoids further panic and disruption but.....?

Just lurching from one to the next isn't it and unlike previous years there's no 'bubble' to give the impression of hope around the corner as we are austeritied to hell and beyond.

M&S really hasn't kept up at all has it? I don't like their food either, it is over priced. But clothes etc, I've not bought anything for 30 odd years and even back when I did, it would be a rare purchase. Their stores always look scruffy and old fashioned to me.

I wonder if Marks & Spencers will become another casualty in the closures eventually! I think it is mainly the food side that has kept it going this long. Even that is starting to suffer.

The adult clothing side of M & S I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Not my style. I dress too way out for M & S clothing

Not an expert on shopping , but Mrs Sir Dennis has never to my knowledge bought anything from Marks & Spencer , and she is old as well.

:grinning:

I wonder if Marks & Spencers will become another casualty in the closures eventually! I think it is mainly the food side that has kept it going this long. Even that is starting to suffer.

The adult clothing side of M & S I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Not my style. I dress too way out for M & S clothing

M&S Clothing is white upper middle class £20 for a shirt that you can buy elsewhere for a tenner. Their own branded aint all that either...

M&S Clothing is white upper middle class £20 for a shirt that you can buy elsewhere for a tenner. Their own branded aint all that either...

Part of what puts me off M & S (aside from the fact I don't dress M & S=standard and boring) that my late Mom shopped there for clothing.

It's also for me a generational thing, as the lines of what you wore then were defined by the generation, which isn't the case today.

M&S have been failing for years, despite various attempts at revamping, etc.

Some things just run their course, and M&S seem to have reached that point. Sad in some ways as they are such an institution, but therein lies the problem I suppose.

I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep if they went under, same as any other company.

Pret a Manger is not doing too badly for itself...

Every Pret a Manger employee is to receive a £1,000 windfall as the British sandwich chain shop is taken over by the German-controlled company behind Krispy Kreme donuts and Kenco coffee, in a deal worth more than £1.5bn.

Bridgepoint, the UK-based private equity firm, has agreed to sell Pret to the investment group JAB Holdings, which has been rapidly acquiring companies linked to the coffee market in recent years.

On Tuesday, Clive Schlee, the Pret a Manger chief executive, said 12,000 of the coffee shops’s employees, from head office staff to baristas, would receive a £1,000 payout on completion of the deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-sold-jab-holdings-krispy-kreme-sandwich-shop

I had a very quick browse in the M&S clothes section a couple of weeks ago

If you want something fashionable you’d go somewhere else, if you want something cheap you’d probably go somewhere else

The problem with all of these old stores is you can do it all online, search across 5 or 6 “shops” at once and find the special offers and get more of a choice

I had a very quick browse in the M&S clothes section a couple of weeks ago

If you want something fashionable you’d go somewhere else, if you want something cheap you’d probably go somewhere else

The problem with all of these old stores is you can do it all online, search across 5 or 6 “shops” at once and find the special offers and get more of a choice

But you can't try clothes on when you shop online. This is precisely why I, and many others, still use shops. I buy loads og things online but rarely clothes. M&S serve a particular customer and you are not in their key domographic, you are too young. It remains to be seen whether or not their key demographic is enough to maintain their industry share and profitability but eiher way, young adults such as yourself have never been their target market.

But you can't try clothes on when you shop online. This is precisely why I, and many others, still use shops. I buy loads og things online but rarely clothes. M&S serve a particular customer and you are not in their key domographic, you are too young. It remains to be seen whether or not their key demographic is enough to maintain their industry share and profitability but eiher way, young adults such as yourself have never been their target market.

Yes don’t get me wrong it is always a shame to lose proper shops from the high street but sadly many of these established retailers struggle to adapt to the market conditions we are in today.

For the record I have bought clothes from M&S as I think they are fairly good for cheap work shirts / trousers. You are right that my generation isn’t their target but as you said is their current target demographic enough to keep them going? I am not sure, and it’s not a dig at Marks and Spencer I think a lot of stores will struggle especially as my generation who are so used to doing everything online get older and will slowly become the target market for these retailers

There was a time when nearly every household in the country had owned a pair of M&S pants, socks, shirt, etc. Done for by the likes of Peacocks, Primark and supermarket labels for the above reason. Their clothes are very linked to a niche market that is disappearing.

Living abroad my recent experience of M&S is limited but to suggest that the shirt that you pay £20 for at M&S can be bought elsewhere for half the price is eronious, you can buy something that looks similar but the quality is very different. I have one shirt from MS, bought about 3-4 years ago, the quality is nice but I don't actually like wearing it, the collar is too stiff so it rubs on my neck and makes it sore.

Northy!!!! Where have you been? You're not posting much. Are you having to work harder to pay for that Tesla? :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

M&S do have some good stuff. There Slim fit shirts really worked, and were good quality. I don't need them,any more, not working in an office, but if I needed new shirts, that's where I would go.

Apart from that, though, the quality isn't what it used to be. I bought a pair of Jeans there last year, and they are nearly unwearable now. The material has worn through, and some of the stitching is coming undone. I think they've actually tried to compete with the cheaper brands, whereas they should have used the reputation they as a marketing tool. Some of us will always be happy to pay more for it.

I buy their shirts for work especially the cotton non iron ones which in a hurry I can bung in the tumble dryer and come out as if they have been pressed.

I wouldn't be seen dead in M & S clothing! Then I am not ''normal'' for my age. I will use the food store sometimes and I buy bra's from there as they have a good fitting service however that is my lot. I do not want to look like my late Mom. As much as I love her, it's an era thing with me

You didn't need to say 'age' there Kef - we all understood :grinning:

ps - why are you buying bra's from the foodstore?