The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 311 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

How is it mate that most of us on here, just ordinary fans, knew where this appointment was going to go, but highly paid professionals whose job it is to know thought it was a great appointment.
I’d say it’s hubris more than anything else. If you look at the reported managerial salaries Gerrard is actually here on the cheap relative to other managers, so he’s a cost saving vs a proper manager. Then you have his big name which is great from a marketing POV. Finally, there’s the possibility he knows what he’s doing and he will become a great manager.

This I believe was the thought process, it was a massive risk and one that clearly isn’t paying off.

I think it was CDX that posted the rumour that we are talking to Poch but he is unsure about the size of the job at Villa Park.

If that's the case, they know.

I think it was a punt by our CEO who is rumoured to have a soft spot for SG (he must like them rough).
The CEO, to paraphrase Gerrard himself, is a bit of a fan isn't he? He's always been starstruck by Gerrard and has steered the process to his guy. I hope when the time comes to replace Gerrard, that Purslow recuses himself, certainly up to putting together a shortlist and, if he is involved after that point, his role is advisory and limited.

I’d say it’s hubris more than anything else. If you look at the reported managerial salaries Gerrard is actually here on the cheap relative to other managers, so he’s a cost saving vs a proper manager. Then you have his big name which is great from a marketing POV. Finally, there’s the possibility he knows what he’s doing and he will become a great manager.

This I believe was the thought process, it was a massive risk and one that clearly isn’t paying off.
Be very interesting to see where, or what his next job will be.

How is it mate that most of us on here, just ordinary fans, knew where this appointment was going to go, but highly paid professionals whose job it is to know thought it was a great appointment.

In fairness there were many fans who thought the likes of Lambert and Garde were going to be good appointments, I'm not sure we're any wiser

Hmmm, you might be pushing it a bit far with that one. He's one manager that I don't think I've heard one Villa fan speak up in support of

No - but we were cash strapped at the time - in fact were looking to shift on our big earners.

There wouldn't have been many takers.

At the time of Gerrard's apt - we had finished 11th the season before, cash to spend and a whole host of academy kids. We were a much attractive proposition than we were under a bored Randy Lerner.

We could and should have gotten better than Gerrard.

Ha, this is interesting tbh.
It could be a bit of a blind spot for Gerrard too,
but at lest he has admitted that he may have tried to move things on too quickly (his words, or to that effect).

I don't see much evidence that the players aren't playing for, or dislike Gerrard, so behind closed doors at least, he must be able to show some humility.

Me personally, I am flip-flopping on a daily basis. I don't know what to think half the time. If we do a Leicester and go out and beat Forrest 4-0, maybe he's right, we have turned a corner. But anything other than a win and I know many will have the knives out. Thing is, I can't really see us losing it. Hope I'm right!

Thanks to all that took the time to read my long post and although I'm not Neo like I always want to see what the numbers say vs what my eyes tell me when I watch the matches.

The main point was that I think SG's focus on fixing the defense helped slightly but to a great detriment to the attack and I think this is where many fans' frustrations are. This should be a fixable situation via formation change and a change of players on the field. We have at least one player on the bench, although somewhat untested at this level, who could make a big breakthrough and we all wonder why he hasn't been given more time to prove it.

Yes, I would like to see him given more time especially if we can get improved results but if they fired him tomorrow I wouldn't be concerned either, other than it's like a coin flip when a new manager comes in. But I also thought that DS needed more time than he was given when he hit the rough patch.

Anyway, good discussion and I need to get back to VV more often! I know Fear misses me :D

No - but we were cash strapped at the time - in fact were looking to shift on our big earners.

There wouldn't have been many takers.

At the time of Gerrard's apt - we had finished 11th the season before, cash to spend and a whole host of academy kids. We were a much attractive proposition than we were under a bored Randy Lerner.

We could and should have gotten better than Gerrard.

We'd finished 9th the season before McLeish took over and we had a stronger team than we have now. We could definitely have landed a better man than McLeish if we'd tried.

You might be misunderstanding me on this. I wasnt comparing McLeish to Gerrard just pointing out that us fans get it wrong with our choices just as often as those in charge. I'm pretty sure Gerrard won the vote on this site to be our next manager and I'm sure it wasnt the only place he did. Its not worked out, but I can certainly see why we took a shot with him, he just isnt the bright young up and coming manager some thought he looked like being

We all bang on about Archer needing to be given a chance and that Watkins needs to be dropped. However ultimately if Watkins is dropped you can guarantee that SG will then start Ings then bring Watkins on from the bench so it's a really awkward situation for Archer now. Nevermind the stupid comments from SG post Leeds game re him only have 1 full training session etc.

Ha, this is interesting tbh.
It could be a bit of a blind spot for Gerrard too,
but at lest he has admitted that he may have tried to move things on too quickly (his words, or to that effect).

I don't see much evidence that the players aren't playing for, or dislike Gerrard, so behind closed doors at least, he must be able to show some humility.

Me personally, I am flip-flopping on a daily basis. I don't know what to think half the time. If we do a Leicester and go out and beat Forrest 4-0, maybe he's right, we have turned a corner. But anything other than a win and I know many will have the knives out. Thing is, I can't really see us losing it. Hope I'm right!

Take it from me a lot of the players don,t like Gerrard.

When was the last time you saw a villa player smile ? Ollie was once famous for his smile ! - its gone now.

I don't think many of the villa players will be sad to see the back of Gerrard.

We'd finished 9th the season before McLeish took over and we had a stronger team than we have now. We could definitely have landed a better man than McLeish if we'd tried.

You might be misunderstanding me on this. I wasnt comparing McLeish to Gerrard just pointing out that us fans get it wrong with our choices just as often as those in charge. I'm pretty sure Gerrard won the vote on this site to be our next manager and I'm sure it wasnt the only place he did. Its not worked out, but I can certainly see why we took a shot with him, he just isnt the bright young up and coming manager some thought he looked like being

The vote thing has been discussed before.

he only stacked up approval votes once it was pretty clear he was going to be our boss.

Before DS was sacked - I don't recall Gerrard being anyones preferred choice.

All managers are vulnerable for the sack and Steve is in the most vulnerable category at the moment. Those that really do have to make the decision must have something better to put in place, perhaps Pochettino, but he doesn’t come with any guarantees.
The team now playing are the team that got Dean the sack and sometimes I have to question whether it’s the players that get away scott free every time. No worries for them, let a new man come in, They are still earning whatever happens. If it’s a battle for a manager to get the commitment, mental and physical, from his players then the manager has to win or else we are continually on the same treadmill ad infinitum.
He’s not yet at the point of being sacked but every game is critical to his future. I’d give him longer because it can be a long process, forming, storming, norming, performing etc. I’ve waited enough years so I can wait a few games longer to see how it all ends.

Before DS was sacked - I don't recall Gerrard being anyones preferred choice.

Yup, my line at the time, not overwhelmed, not underwhelmed, but I am intrigued. IF there had been better names being banded about, then I think I would have been totally underwhelmed.

Just some, once he was here, were 'ok, lets see how this goes'