The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 178 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

Wasn't sure what thread to post in . Started writing in SJM, then Mings but reading the above I think it's here.

I am not sure on this at all.
In isolation I have no problem with SJM being captain. Brilliant character, has the respect of the team and fans and one of the longer servants.

Would love to know the reasons. I hope we get to know. Due to the lack of this info I hope it means Mings is off because otherwise In terms of a decision I think it's awful by SG. He has just stripped a senior pro, England squad regular of the captaincy and has not even given him the vice or club captain role . Eh ???. Strange.

And for what reason?. Discipline?, Performance?, Lack of respect? No to all isn't it. What actually has Mings done wrong to make this the issue it now is.

What if Mings stays and is a regular starter? Wtff does that say?. If he stays you have to ask did it actually need doing.

I think the apple cart has been upset now. We all know these players need their egos massaged and there will be more than a few looking at this thinking that loyalty isn't something that SG has . I bet behind closed doors eyebrows have been raised. We can pretend that captaincy doesn't matter but by doing this SG has made it very much matter and I find it a bizarre decision if Mings ends up staying and playing.

Great summary Melon, an alleged precedent being posted online is Sami Hyypia was club captain prior to SG and suffering due to the pressure. Supposedly the switch to Gerrard as Captian freed up Hyypia and improved both of their games immensely. Im no pool fan though so I have no clue.

The OS says Gerrard thinks it'll help Mings perform better due to the mental aspect being lifted from him. Maybe he is right, maybe its another bollock dropped.

“Naturally, I have had to have a discussion with Tyrone Mings and have explained my reasons for making this decision. More importantly, I believe that not having the responsibility of the captaincy will allow Tyrone to focus more on his own game which can only benefit him and the team.”
https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/july/27/mcginn-named-aston-villa-captain/

What we have seen from Gerrard today is a massive example of inexperience and piss poor man management. I think this will come back to haunt him. I fully expect Gerrard will be gone before the Xmas decorations start going up.

Great summary Melon, an alleged precedent being posted online is Sami Hyypia was club captain prior to SG and suffering due to the pressure. Supposedly the switch to Gerrard as Captian freed up Hyypia and improved both of their games immensely. Im no pool fan though so I have no clue.

The OS says Gerrard thinks it'll help Mings perform better due to the mental aspect being lifted from him. Maybe he is right, maybe its another bollock dropped.

“Naturally, I have had to have a discussion with Tyrone Mings and have explained my reasons for making this decision. More importantly, I believe that not having the responsibility of the captaincy will allow Tyrone to focus more on his own game which can only benefit him and the team.”

Reads to me like there were other reasons apart from the ‘focus on his own game’. Mmmm. Strange to me I’m afraid.

Couldn't be a more patronising a statement. I'd be furious.

Hadn't seen this from SG. But that was sort of what I was thinking might be the case.

Why? I'm a supposed leader at work and I am currently negotiating with my boss to try to get out of the leader thing to concentrate on where my strengths lie. Win-win all round.

Today will be seen as the crossroads day. Gerrard underperformed last season, this summer i'm unconvinced so far on any progress.
The cracks are reappearing. (they'd only been papered over mind)

No idea how it's been managed behind the scenes do we but I expect Gerrard to have had a long conversation with Tyrone about it like two grown-ups. We'll only know in hindsight if it's been handled well or not, won't we?

Yup. But that won’t be until the relevant autobiographies are released judging by SG’s quote here. Generic from SG, generic by Tyrone. Only one reason given by SG yet there are clearly others. So only natural in the absence of anything else that it is discussed and speculated upon. That’s what this place is for.

You're always furious.

But we have been told the reason. We do know. We have the info. If you choose not to believe then that's up to you.

Gerrard has given his reasons. Mings has seemingly accepted those reasons. Move along, nothing to see here.

Read the quote from SG. He gave one reason and alluded to others which were not elaborated upon.