The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 172 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

In my case I wanted him to bring Sanson on rather than Nakamba and I would have taken Buendia off rather than Coutinho.

Absolutely agree. Buendia was running around a lot. But then the chickens someone keeps on the allotments near me run around a lot.

PC showed was putting some lovely touches together and showing why he is a cut above anything we have currently. Horrendous decision by SG, not only had PC just scored but he hadn’t started on Thursday so fitness wasn’t the issue.

He made a strange substitution vs Liverpool, which proved costly straight away. Then against City he subbed Nakamba in which invited even more pressure from them resulting in 3 goals within 5/6 mins.
It's little wonder we took only 1 point from any team in the top 8 we played under SG last season. If we're to break into the top 10 next season he's going to have to lose that tactical naivety pretty quickly.

He made a strange substitution vs Liverpool, which proved costly straight away. Then against City he subbed Nakamba in which invited even more pressure from them resulting in 3 goals within 5/6 mins.
It's little wonder we took only 1 point from any team in the top 8 we played under SG last season. If we're to break into the top 10 next season he's going to have to lose that tactical naivety pretty quickly.
we took 4 points from top 8 teams - all from ManUtd

In my case I wanted him to bring Sanson on rather than Nakamba and I would have taken Buendia off rather than Coutinho.
I think trying to tighten things up did make sense at the time, not sure what Sanson would have offered given our complete lack of possession. The problem was Nakamba came on and didn't shore us up like a solid defensive midfielder should have, he's a hard worker and great at buzzing around nipping the ball away but against an onslaught he's too busy chasing rather than anticipating and lacks composure (both with the ball and without it), and then Luiz having been moved slightly decided to switch off defensively. All 3 players mentioned here could be moved on to be honest; none of them do the required job for us.

The trouble I have is we say get rid of Luiz or get rid of Nakamba...that then leaves us back to square 1 and bare bones for cover. Why would we get rid of either? Nakamba is half decent DM cover and Luiz is versatile in the middle of the park. Doesn't make any sense to me to get rid unless we're bringing in 2 more midfielders.

The trouble I have is we say get rid of Luiz or get rid of Nakamba...that then leaves us back to square 1 and bare bones for cover. Why would we get rid of either? Nakamba is half decent DM cover and Luiz is versatile in the middle of the park. Doesn't make any sense to me to get rid unless we're bringing in 2 more midfielders.
With Chambers as potential cover as well as up and coming Iroegbunam, I think Luiz and Marv should both be a little nervous.

We'd struggle if we lost them both so I don't think that's wise, but we could afford to in all honesty, as long as another CM was brought in.

Policy should be sell Marv, keep Doug unless a good offer comes in or he doesn't want to sign.

With Chambers as potential cover as well as up and coming Iroegbunam, I think Luiz and Marv should both be a little nervous.

We'd struggle if we lost them both so I don't think that's wise, but we could afford to in all honesty, as long as another CM was brought in.

Policy should be sell Marv, keep Doug unless a good offer comes in or he doesn't want to sign.

Yeah thats a fair assessment. We'll see!

I would be happy enough for both of them to stay as cover, but I’m not sure they would be to be honest.
Nakamba possibly would be, because he’s already been there, but I don’t think Luiz would. If we do go for another defensive type midfielder and go with a double pivot, Luiz would be competing with McGinn, Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho for the 2/3 more attacking midfield places. I’m sure he would get game time but he’d perhaps be 5th choice out of that group. Having said that, if he seeks another club of similar level/ ambition, he could well find himself in the same boat. I would say though, if he can’t commit himself to signing a new contract, then we must try and sell him and get what we can, as in another 12 months he will be able to walk away for nothing.

Last edited:
I need to bottle up my feelings because I am starting to get excited. He still has quite a bit to do to show us he knows wtf he is doing however his recruitment is making me start to believe. We've addressed a good few issues now. The lack of athleticism at left back, hopefully the lack of physicality and quality in midfield, a marquee player we've all wanted and now it looks like central defense is next.

I don't write off Championship players but you can't keep building a quality team by signing the best players in the league below you. At some point you have to start trying to compete for signatures with those above you.