The goalkick- football in general | Vital Football

The goalkick- football in general

tomytony

Vital Champions League
Has the newish ruling that the ball does not have to come out of the area to restart led to increase in boring, tippy-tappy build up play?
The endless quest to play 'pure' football, to create the perfect goal, to have the best possession stats possible, to have a keeper able to pass the ball better than TC at his best, seems to lead to endless across the field choreographed sequence dancing passages of play.

For better or for worse?

Has the newish ruling that the ball does not have to come out of the area to restart led to increase in boring, tippy-tappy build up play?
The endless quest to play 'pure' football, to create the perfect goal, to have the best possession stats possible, to have a keeper able to pass the ball better than TC at his best, seems to lead to endless across the field choreographed sequence dancing passages of play.

For better or for worse?
The answer from me is a definite Worse. A definite encouragement to time wasting. Most of the new rules confuse us spectators and don't add any improvement to the game. Even worse the officials on the field or VAR studio don't know them. The two that immediately come to mind are the handball and offside rules.

I don’t understand the modern day rules of football........ mind you being a Blade I don’t think I ever have just to say whatever they are/have been they always seem to go against us.

Do you know, off the top of my head it’s hard to come up with a single change that has genuinely improved the game in recent years. It’s a mixture of crap and meh.

It's a change in the law that is at the discretion of a manager or coach whether to use it or not some use it some don't. If you have players who are comfortable in tight areas then it can be used to draw teams forward, horses for courses. Time wasting, every player is adept at that, depending on the score.

I was prompted to post whilst flicking between channels and I got the Newc v Everton game just as a goal kick was being taken by Newc and there were 3 defenders in the box, one to each side and one in front. They passed it between them for what seemed like ages as 2 E/ton players walked in from close quarters without putting any real pressure on.
It was achingly pointless, not progressing the game , not displaying any level of skill that couldn't be achieved by kids having a kickabout and it made me wonder, if you had not seen football before, would you want to see it again?

Only a short excerpt obviously but so boring, so uninspiring.

Think Alan Shearer on motd, summed us up perfectly, as to why we dont score.... tippy tappy around and not getting ball in the box to waiting strikers.... on 1 occasion there was 4 utd players in the area.... and no cross came over
Boils my piss

Think Alan Shearer on motd, summed us up perfectly, as to why we dont score.... tippy tappy around and not getting ball in the box to waiting strikers.... on 1 occasion there was 4 utd players in the area.... and no cross came over
Boils my piss

There is a web site WhoScored.com that says we have the 6th highest number of crosses per game at 20. Would that imply it's not the lack of crosses it's the quality of the cross. Suppose it's a grey area what they classify as a cross who knows.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_cross

Too many crosses!

That one shows us 3rd and Fulham top.

Never trusted Shearer:cool:

It does point to the quality of then, as opposed o the quantity.

However, as so many seem to think it's not getting crosses in that's the problem, it could be dependent on what they define as a cross but, on that same website, we were also 3rd last yr

Do you know, off the top of my head it’s hard to come up with a single change that has genuinely improved the game in recent years. It’s a mixture of crap and meh.
The one change i think that's made the game better is the pass back rule Gray but i don't know if you consider that recent or not mi owd pal.UTMPB

I don't know how the statistics given are arrived at.they must include those blocked at 1 yard distance as our CFs have very few scraps to feed off they must be peed off

I'm pretty sure they will count crosses including those over hit, don't beat the first man, go out for a goal kick, straight to the keeper or cleared by the defenders. A cross isn't just one that lands on an attackers head that's down to the quality of the delivery.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_cross

Too many crosses!

That one shows us 3rd and Fulham top.

Never trusted Shearer:cool:

It does point to the quality of then, as opposed o the quantity.

However, as so many seem to think it's not getting crosses in that's the problem, it could be dependent on what they define as a cross but, on that same website, we were also 3rd last yr
I seen all our games on TV but can't remember that many!