The General Football thread | Page 44 | Vital Football

The General Football thread

Mine was Mabbs and Gough. Loved that partnership. A damn shame it was short lived. Probably would have won the title in 91 if they stayed as a partnership.

Wow - you really have had a miserable fan life. You don't even remember back to back FA Cups and Tony Parks heroics in the early eighties. Ricky Villa and all that.

Weirdly , our sixties and seventies teams only had one centre half .
Maurice Norman commanded that area with Bill Brown behind him .
It was a different game back then . Quite stereotyped .
Goal kicks always went long , as did free kicks ,and corner kicks .

Have to say though that Cliff Jones would always be above Son .
Greaves would walk into any team , as would Mackay and White .

Nicks point about nostalgia clouding the issue would probably relate to Ron Henry , Peter Baker , Terry Medwin , Les Allen …….. Maybe even Bill Brown . Great players but not truly the best ever .
Good debate though.

Nicks point about nostalgia clouding the issue would probably relate to Ron Henry , Peter Baker , Terry Medwin , Les Allen …….. Maybe even Bill Brown . Great players but not truly the best ever .
Good debate though.

Totally agree Walt especially last paragraph. As I said recently good reliable players, not superstars. Guys that every TEAM needs. A side full of superstars = too many egos and all of the issues that that can bring! Going forward we need within our squad good solid reliable and steady players in addition to the extra excellence that the ‘super’stars certainly can bring.

In theory players are bigger, fitter, better nourished, better coached , faster. I am generalising of course
So true Nick regards todays players, now add your descriptions to the old great piss head players of yesteryear lol! and they would be even better players, just saying.

Good debate though.
So true there Walt, us oldies have seen so many "Team set" changes since those heady days, 2-3-5 to 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 to 3-4-3 even 3-5-2, have I missed any? Jesus! no wonder our heads are being done in lol!

Mind my all time CH is Mike England but hot on his heals is Gary M, though Tobes was nobody to be sneered at.

So true Nick regards todays players, now add your descriptions to the old great piss head players of yesteryear lol! and they would be even better players, just saying.

What I always find interesting is that there was way more physicality in the old days, but there seemed to be way more skill on show.

I always use Maradona's great WC goal against England as an example. Try that against Pep or Klopp's current teams and he would have got 10 yards before behind hauled to the ground. The ref would then just give a free-kick and not bothered with a yellow. We see it every week.

How would Greavsie have coped with the current dark arts being used against him every single week? How would he have coped with the current officiating that seems to have banned tackling but you can almost get away with everything else.

For me, it has definitely made football a game with less skill on show. Almost every game is now attritional and tactical with very little scope for improvisation from players.

What I always find interesting is that there was way more physicality in the old days, but there seemed to be way more skill on show.

I always use Maradona's great WC goal against England as an example. Try that against Pep or Klopp's current teams and he would have got 10 yards before behind hauled to the ground. The ref would then just give a free-kick and not bothered with a yellow. We see it every week.

How would Greavsie have coped with the current dark arts being used against him every single week? How would he have coped with the current officiating that seems to have banned tackling but you can almost get away with everything else.

For me, it has definitely made football a game with less skill on show. Almost every game is now attritional and tactical with very little scope for improvisation from players.
Excellent post there muttley, so bloody true though!

Very good post. I don't want to sound too much of an old school 'better in our day' school of thought, but the points you make are entirely valid.

Very good post. I don't want to sound too much of an old school 'better in our day' school of thought, but the points you make are entirely valid.

Agree as well...apart from Greavsie (and other skillful players in the day) had to deal with obvious and deliberate hatchet men ....but it was not dark arts as now, it was completely open and obvious and almost accepted part of the game...many of the tackles were almost barbaric back then from the hard men players of the ilk eg Ron Harris, Tommy Smith, Souness, Kilcline, Mackay, Joe Jordan, Terry Hurlock (Warlock), Mick Harford...to name but a few....

Agree as well...apart from Greavsie (and other skillful players in the day) had to deal with obvious and deliberate hatchet men ....but it was not dark arts as now, it was completely open and obvious and almost accepted part of the game...many of the tackles were almost barbaric back then from the hard men players of the ilk eg Ron Harris, Tommy Smith, Souness, Kilcline, Mackay, Joe Jordan, Terry Hurlock (Warlock), Mick Harford...to name but a few....
Musn't forget Norman 'Bite Yer Legs' Hunter!

In The Times just now:

"Fifa has announced that technology to automatically detect when players are offside will be used in the World Cup in November and the system is set to be used in the Premier League from the 2023-24 season.

The “semi-automated offside system” will be used in Qatar with artificial intelligence using data sent from a sensor inside the ball and 12 dedicated cameras to analyse when an attacker is in front of the last defender. An alert will then be sent to the video assistant referee (VAR) who will judge whether the attacker is interfering with play.

Pierluigi Collina, the chairman of Fifa’s referees committee, said the technology would be more accurate and should reduce offside reviews from an average of 70 seconds to between 20 and 25 seconds. A 3D animation of the offside decision will then be created and played on screens in stadiums and to TV viewers."

Whilst the time taken to reach a decision will be significantly reduced, the fact that the VAR will still be the final arbiter means that element of spontaneity when a goal is scored will still be lost.