The Future of the Club | Page 74 | Vital Football

The Future of the Club

I honestly don’t think the money is ever going to come. I can’t see why the owners keep lying, just be honest and say we’ve got no money and can’t afford to run the club.

I think it's trying to keep the fans on side the best they can in the short term knowing they won't be here much longer. I don't think they'll be here in a few months - one way or another I think it's going to come to a head.

South stand could be closed to cut costs. North stand will be needed for away fans. No real point putting them in East as there's only Bolton who would easily bring more than 5k (unless Derby are doing well when they visit the DW). Perhaps shut the back 10 rows of the stands instead of the front 10 to get the crowd nearer the pitch and create a noisier atmosphere.
I agree about closing the back rows, for me it’s pretty simple really. Split all the stands into upper and lower sections with some advertising hoardings so that capacity can be halved. Just close the upper sections and we’ll have fans closer to the pitch and we should have a better atmosphere. Bring the camera lower and don’t show the back of the stands on TV.

If our ground was 12.5k it’d have been pretty full most weeks for the last few seasons and nobody would’ve been moaning about our attendances.
The club definitely needs to improve marketing and do more to attract supporters though.

There’s no way I’d say we’re a tiny club with no hope of any future. We’re not massive by any means but we can definitely take a decent number to away games and get a good home support for a big game. Some of our fans are putting us down as being real ‘small time’ at the minute. We just have shit owners, we’re starting on -8 and could possibly go out of business. Apart from that everything is reet. We really need some proper football folk to come in and run the club properly again.

Clubs with 8-10K fans in L1 should not be on the verge of going bust. Plenty clubs would kill for a crowd that size. The issue is the expenditure, and if the owners are serious about player wages being cut by 65%, you can see how much more they were paying for a similar product two years' ago.

If any more points are deducted and this keeps on going I will stop my payments as My belief will have gone, and I cannot afford to lose money.

It's pay day Friday apparently, might be more points off then.

This is going to sadly keep going with these owners and i fear it's going to keep getting worse. They are going to leave us in a worse position that the previous owners at this rate - they already got us docked more points.

What I really wanted to know is if no more money comes in from the owners what will happen I assume all the players will leave but what happens can the EFL take control of the club or will we just cease to exist anymore

Sorry Zakky, the simple answer is that we go out of business.

The EFL cannot take control of a club as they are private entities and are privately owned.

The owner could decide to sell, liquidate or place in administration if there is no money. His choice and no on else's. This is why I fear that all those calling the owners rogue or crooks should be careful, if the owner decides to be spiteful he could just walk and leave us without a club.

As I have speculated in my opinion they will continue to fund the club but it will be at a very much lower level and we will have to rely on the academy players stepping up. Which, again in my opinion, would not be a bad thing as I have always believed that young players need to be given a chance.

Someone is clearly at the helm and steering the ship By offering 3 year contracts. Pretty certain he’s not the only one!

As a young lad he's probably had the contract in the works before this latest round of chaos and he's not going to be on a great deal of money so it's been put through. But i doubt we'll be offering any deals to senior players at the moment and even if we did they probably wouldn't be willing to sign with so much uncertainty.

Power and Jones were meant to be in negotiations and even if they wanted to stay are probably left in limbo with all this.

I think what's doing my head in more than anything, is the silence from the owners - bar the odd tweet, coupled with every man, woman & child speculating their own assumptions. Which yes, could be bang on! Or, completely way off the mark.

I think what's doing my head in more than anything, is the silence from the owners - bar the odd tweet, coupled with every man, woman & child speculating their own assumptions. Which yes, could be bang on! Or, completely way off the mark.

Yep, plus how vocal Talal was on Twitter when the going was good makes the silence even more noticeable

I agree about closing the back rows, for me it’s pretty simple really. Split all the stands into upper and lower sections with some advertising hoardings so that capacity can be halved. Just close the upper sections and we’ll have fans closer to the pitch and we should have a better atmosphere. Bring the camera lower and don’t show the back of the stands on TV.

If our ground was 12.5k it’d have been pretty full most weeks for the last few seasons and nobody would’ve been moaning about our attendances.
The club definitely needs to improve marketing and do more to attract supporters though.

There’s no way I’d say we’re a tiny club with no hope of any future. We’re not massive by any means but we can definitely take a decent number to away games and get a good home support for a big game. Some of our fans are putting us down as being real ‘small time’ at the minute. We just have shit owners, we’re starting on -8 and could possibly go out of business. Apart from that everything is reet. We really need some proper football folk to come in and run the club properly again.
Have I imagined it or is there a rate review of the ground in the offing?

No one can deny, that from lets say the "unfashionable clubs". In the last twenty years we have been the most succesfu! of all similar clubs by a country mile. But we have never taken advantage of any success we have had. It all just seems to get forgotten.

Climbing the leagues till reaching the premiership, league cup final. FA cup win, competed in Europe. Any other club would have had book writers clamouring for the right to put this story into print. Even when the down spiral began orchestrated by dodgy mysterious dealings in the far east, nothing of any note was recorded. The chinese story had, and still has, got the makings of the biggest wrong-doing tale in sporting history. And from the pens of scribes, "nothing". Im sorry, but we are just not fashionable enough to matter to anyone else other than the few supporters we have.

We dont even have a radio channel locally that can be bothered to broadcast any commentary on home or away match days. And that just about shows our standing in the football world.

No one can deny, that from lets say the "unfashionable clubs". In the last twenty years we have been the most succesfu! of all similar clubs by a country mile. But we have never taken advantage of any success we have had. It all just seems to get forgotten.

Climbing the leagues till reaching the premiership, league cup final. FA cup win, competed in Europe. Any other club would have had book writers clamouring for the right to put this story into print. Even when the down spiral began orchestrated by dodgy mysterious dealings in the far east, nothing of any note was recorded. The chinese story had, and still has, got the makings of the biggest wrong-doing tale in sporting history. And from the pens of scribes, "nothing". Im sorry, but we are just not fashionable enough to matter to anyone else other than the few supporters we have.

We dont even have a radio channel locally that can be bothered to broadcast any commentary on home or away match days. And that just about shows our standing in the football world.

I know someone who worked on the match coverage for years and they said not having a radio channel was down to Wish being taken over and them stripping back on producing any content that had any cost.

There was an audience but the new station owners didn't want to continue with it. That was the nature of commercial radio rather than a lack of interest.

Yep, thats all down to Global Radio who bought everyone up.

They can get away with a "enhanced local news service" once an hour these days to be allowed to keep their licence as a local station.

You'd probably struggle to find any local (none BBC) station broadcasting anyone these days.

Have I imagined it or is there a rate review of the ground in the offing?
I am sure there was a commercial rates revaluation which has taken place - this was for April to march this year.

I also hope that the club have claimed the relevant support

Business Rates Relief: 2023/24 Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Scheme, local authority guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

For this year (would be well annoyed if they have missed this for prior years) - £110k max support - but every little helps. (i post it in the hope that it makes them aware if missed)