The Future of the Club | Page 60 | Vital Football

The Future of the Club

One thing i thought was interesting is the EFL have not demanded the owners to put the 125% aside again and not said what happens about further points deductions.

I expected the statement to say there would be a new deadline for the 125% and further threats if they failed to meet it.

We've talked about the EFL being backed into a corner on increasing punishments - it seems like they know this too and are trying to not let themselves be forced into going down the Bury route but our owners can only take the piss so often before they may end up with little option.

If there is 10m+ in a UK bank account to cover the whole of next season, then why does the EFL want 1m extra in a separate account that no other 71 Football League club is required to do?

Seems like a way for the EFL to chuck loads more points deduction.

Meanwhile the 5 or so clubs with far more serious charges are still sat on 0 points deduction.

14 points deduction for late wages that were still paid. Didn't Bolton pay late for the same number of months and get 0 points deducted a few years ago? Where is the consistency? Macclesfield got around 6 deducted for a similar number of months delay.

The club just put out a short statement saying:

We are extremely disappointed with this latest decision. The Football Club has been very transparent with the EFL who have had clear visibility of the eight-figure sum to finance the remainder of this season and the whole of next season.

The Club will now consider all options open, including legal action in response to this, and will make no further comment at this time.

They are takin the piss, they were given a deadline, they agreed to meet the deadline and they missed it, they've still not done as asked. They haven't got a leg to stand on.

This is just pure gaslighting in an attempt to make the fans think the EFL are in the wrong to take the heat off the owners. It's so transparent.

If there is 10m+ in a UK bank account to cover the whole of next season, then why does the EFL want 1m extra in a separate account that no other 71 Football League club is required to do?

Seems like a way for the EFL to chuck loads more points deduction.

Meanwhile the 5 or so clubs with far more serious charges are still sat on 0 points deduction.

14 points deduction for late wages that were still paid. Didn't Bolton pay late for the same number of months and get 0 points deducted a few years ago? Where is the consistency? Macclesfield got around 6 deducted for a similar number of months delay.

There isnt 10m in a UK bank account that is why they have asked for the 125% in a UK account as they keep blaming payments coming from Bahrain as an excuse.

The EFL wouldn't be asking if they hadn't paid wages later 5 times in about 8 months.

They might pay this time like they have in the past. But with these clowns in charge. Every pay day will be the same will they won’t they. Can’t run a football club like this. If we have sold just less than 4000 season tickets. That will be the total. Not many will buy one on - 8 points. Best one yet we are making the club shop bigger. To increase revenue. They have not got a bloody clue.

I so so want to believe Talal but until the money lands there is still a huge question mark. Im trying to make sense of it all and feel that the EFL have stitched us up again.......ok the 125% wasnt on time BUT if the money is coming from the sale of the London property, even when a sale is agreed the money doesn't go in to the bank the next day, it takes ages sometimes for a house transaction to go through.....the house may well have been sold and Talal and Mr.Al JAsmi are waiting for completion so the money once in the bank can be transferred. Surely if the EFL have been told this and shown relevant documentation re the sale, why couldn't they extend the payment deadline for a few more weeks......would that change anything...no i dont think so BUT lets kick the club whilst its down and put the boot in. I so so want Talals statement to be true and I want to see things happen immediately so we can all move on and start to hopefully regain our trust although I appreciate that will be hard and for some might never happen.

I so so want to believe Talal but until the money lands there is still a huge question mark. Im trying to make sense of it all and feel that the EFL have stitched us up again.......ok the 125% wasnt on time BUT if the money is coming from the sale of the London property, even when a sale is agreed the money doesn't go in to the bank the next day, it takes ages sometimes for a house transaction to go through.....the house may well have been sold and Talal and Mr.Al JAsmi are waiting for completion so the money once in the bank can be transferred. Surely if the EFL have been told this and shown relevant documentation re the sale, why couldn't they extend the payment deadline for a few more weeks......would that change anything...no i dont think so BUT lets kick the club whilst its down and put the boot in. I so so want Talals statement to be true and I want to see things happen immediately so we can all move on and start to hopefully regain our trust although I appreciate that will be hard and for some might never happen.
But as the owner paid his own fine £10000. No mention of this

Looks like the club believed that by working with the EFL and being transparent that we could avoid the extra 4 point deduction.
But as usual the EFL couldn’t wait to stick the knife into us again.
Club statement says we are considering legal action, so the money must be in the system somewhere

Can't say I blame the EFL this time. We failed to meet a deadline that had already been extended by 3 months. There were many opportunities to avoid getting to this stage. It's absolutely atrocious that the fans and players are the ones punished, but that is all the EFL have the power to do. The blame lies solely at the feet of the ownership group

Maybe that's not been resolved yet ... maybe we're still trying to get the EFL to show a little leniency and understanding.

We've no chance appealing. The rest of the L1 members, all 23 of them, will want us on -8 start.
The EFL, hardly an independent regulatory body is it

Well I still don't trust the owner (and Talal). In fact, for me, trust is at zero. My trust will remain at zero until that 8 figure sum is deposited in the account and even then my trust will be extremely low. It also needs the board restructuring and new CEO appointment to take place immediately.

I would much prefer it that they put the club up for sale but at this moment in time it looks like they're going nowhere. As has been said above, not buying a season ticket will only harm Maloney and the players and ourselves as fans in what we see on the pitch from now on and so when the money is deposited I'll be buying my season ticket. Any protests against the board can take place in and outside the ground on matchdays and the young lads who will be playing need our support.

As Nixon said something just doesn't add up, if they had given up or wanted out they would have dumped us in admin. Why pay the wages (late) if they wanted out. They must want to be owners of the club and have some interest otherwise they would have already cut and run.

It's the lying and lack of communication which is the main part I find hard to stomach. Let's face it, Phoenix have bitten off more than they can chew by buying us. They haven't deliberately set out to cause damage to the club they just haven't got a clue what they're doing they've just lied to make it look like they have everything under control. They just needed to ask for help and be open and honest but instead their heads have been buried in the sand. I still don't believe everything they say now but I do believe they are just incredibly incompetent rather than deliberately reckless.

Clearly they bought us and set aside a budget for 3 years and had that money available as ready cash so to speak and then got carried away and pissed it all up the wall in 12 months by offering massively inflated contracts to journeymen footballers without any real long term strategy. Then they've spent the last 12 months trying, and desperately struggling, to cobble together more ready cash. Reading between the lines I suspect Al Jasmi has the money (i have no evidence of his fortune) to keep us going by throwing in a couple of million each season to balance the books. However I'm guessing he shit himself when Talal went knocking on his door after 12 months asking him to cough up another £ 10m or however much he asked for hence the need for cost cutting now.

For some strange reason I suspect that Phoenix thought they could pull the wool over the eyes of the fans and the EFL with all the deceit and that has completely backfired. We can only hope they have now learned their lesson and realised you can't play with fire or you get burned.

Finally, although I believe the EFL are correct in imposing the further 4pts deduction on us for not paying the funds into a designated account as it has called out Phoenix, I do feel that legally the club may have a good case in arguing that this should be rescinded. I may be wrong with regards to the details of the agreement with the EFL but I don't believe the original agreement regarding the deposit of 125% of the wages into an account had a time limit on it. If this new time limit of 24th May was imposed by the EFL without any agreement or precedent then are they within their powers to do this? I believe the EFL have their own set of rules and guidance and schedule of punishments agreed by all 72 clubs. This would appear to be a new rule made up on the spot by the EFL and they've conjoured up their own punishment of -4 points. Would they have a leg to stand on? Irrespective of the crime can you really imagine the FA or the EFL have the power to say to a Chelsea in the premier league or a Leeds in the championship "transfer x amount to this account by such a date or we'll deduct 4 points". It wouldn't happen. That's my view anyway.

In summary, Phoenix : "actions speak louder than words" so show us the money and sort out the board and we'll take it (very cautiously) from there.

Reading the latest statement from the club it was interesting to note:

After meetings with the Board and Technical Board, the wage budget for this coming season has been agreed upon. It will be over 65% less than what it was this season, making it a much more sustainable budget from an ownership perspective. We know, however, that this will still be a competitive budget in League One.

Not sure what the wage bill was this year, but did see £7 million. An over 65% reduction in wages would leave around £2.4 million for the coming year. For that to happen there would have to be some serious transfer activity to sell off the top earners.

Loving their latest statement on the points deduction. Can't afford to pay people that cut the grass but are considering paying for legal action against the EFL for the deduction.

Looks like the club believed that by working with the EFL and being transparent that we could avoid the extra 4 point deduction.
But as usual the EFL couldn’t wait to stick the knife into us again.
Club statement says we are considering legal action, so the money must be in the system somewhere

The EFL behave like a parking company, a few mins late and you're stuffed. No mitigating circumstances.
Overpaid, overly officious inadequate little men.
Got my season ticket, f*ck the EFL

Reading the latest statement from the club it was interesting to note:

After meetings with the Board and Technical Board, the wage budget for this coming season has been agreed upon. It will be over 65% less than what it was this season, making it a much more sustainable budget from an ownership perspective. We know, however, that this will still be a competitive budget in League One.

Not sure what the wage bill was this year, but did see £7 million. An over 65% reduction in wages would leave around £2.4 million for the coming year. For that to happen there would have to be some serious transfer activity to sell off the top earners.

I think that £ 7m was for the season before in league 1 when the accounts were published. If you trust the owners and believe we had the 12th Highest wage bill in the Championship then you're looking at double that I suspect as teams like Preston were paying £ 19m in wages. So you're probably looking at 65% of possibly anywhere between £ 12-18m (allegedly)

They got the point deduction because they didn’t pay up. God they have had enough time. Be more than 8 before the season starts. How many pay days before we kick a ball. Once again some are falling for this bull shit.