The Future of the Club | Page 57 | Vital Football

The Future of the Club

A reporter on Twitter claiming we asked for more time to make the payment. Saying that there is a will to pay but the situation is complicated.

I can't see the EFL accepting that.

Also being discussed on twitter that the player contracts containing promotion pay rises didn't have relegation reductions. So players that we had in L1 last time will be on even bigger money this time. So Championship wages still going out with only L1 money coming in. The financial mismanagement is horrendous.
If that is true, then I have no words..

Which goes to show that in my mind the best owners to have for a club our size is a local quite rich family with a genuine affection for the town. Few and far between these days.

Dave Whelan goes up in my estimation every day.

Owners don't have to be local, or from the UK, they just need to know how to run a football club, sadly, many businessmen, foreign or not, think its easy, when it reality it's not. And you need to be clever when it comes to players, growth, and all scenarios as a football club. Good or bad. How I would love an owner like the Brighton owner, someone with a vision on how the club should play, bring players in, develop them and give the club a identity.

Owners don't have to be local, or from the UK, they just need to know how to run a football club, sadly, many businessmen, foreign or not, think its easy, when it reality it's not. And you need to be clever when it comes to players, growth, and all scenarios as a football club. Good or bad. How I would love an owner like the Brighton owner, someone with a vision on how the club should play, bring players in, develop them and give the club a identity.

They dont have to be local but if they are surely they would be less likely to drop the football team in the shit.

Tony Bloom was born in Brighton btw.

They dont have to be local but if they are surely they would be less likely to drop the football team in the shit.

Tony Bloom was born in Brighton btw.
He was yes, but Its not just the fact he was born in Brighton, it is the fact he knows how to run a football club, short, medium, long term, success or no success. If only there was a Wiganer like him eh?

Can't get my head around the statement last week about a substantial 7 figure sum being put into the club. Their bullshit has been caught out red handed by the EFL. Their response has been to bury their heads in the sand and carry on as if everything is normal. Offering new contracts to Power etc when we were supposed to be restructuring on a lower budget, carrying on with pitch improvements, advertising jobs, it's just bizarre. The whole way the club has operated in the last 12 months has not been right. The Richardson 3 year contract smokescreen complete with dodgy photos and sacking fiasco , McClean,, getting Kolo because we apparently couldn't get Yaya just because we were desperate for a marquee manager,, sacking him 2 days before the transfer deadline. The missing of 5 wage bills with poor excuses every time and claims that everything was fine, it was the bank holidays etc. The overuse of Twitter by the chairman and then the complete stopping of those short twitter posts offering irritating expressions of wisdom. Even small things like not announcing the contract extensions for McClean or Keane which just seemed odd

Even the most gullible of the posters on here will now have realised these owners are beyond just incompetent and are destroying us.

ok - take it that we have not complied with the EFL ruling.

further deduction will be given.

Is that it? Will the demand for the 125% go away.....or will a further deadline and penalty be applied.

Wonder if Talal has paid the fine levied against him?
Has the club paid the fees levied by the efl?

I can see the remaining quality players we have being off loaded to generate cash, reduce the wage bil lto enable the 125% to be met.

Further what happens to the money paid to the efl - would wages be paid from that account and then the club tops this up on a monthly basis? when the wages are paid from this.

just pondering the clubs future at this time.

Ive tried to give the owners the benefit of the doubt, but today that is very difficult. Its worrying to say the least to awake and find that things are unravelling beyond ever being able to be put back together again.

The most worrying part of this mess is that if they are now in the process of keeping one promise. And that was the promise that this club will never have to suffer the pain of administration ever again. And if they do keep that particular promise, then as far as i can see the only alternative they could be left with is to bring the shutters down and walk away. Frightening, fucking frightening.

Can't get my head around the statement last week about a substantial 7 figure sum being put into the club. Their bullshit has been caught out red handed by the EFL. Their response has been to bury their heads in the sand and carry on as if everything is normal. Offering new contracts to Power etc when we were supposed to be restructuring on a lower budget, carrying on with pitch improvements, advertising jobs, it's just bizarre. The whole way the club has operated in the last 12 months has not been right. The Richardson 3 year contract smokescreen complete with dodgy photos and sacking fiasco , McClean,, getting Kolo because we apparently couldn't get Yaya just because we were desperate for a marquee manager,, sacking him 2 days before the transfer deadline. The missing of 5 wage bills with poor excuses every time and claims that everything was fine, it was the bank holidays etc. The overuse of Twitter by the chairman and then the complete stopping of those short twitter posts offering irritating expressions of wisdom. Even small things like not announcing the contract extensions for McClean or Keane which just seemed odd

Even the most gullible of the posters on here will now have realised these owners are beyond just incompetent and are destroying us.

Don't forget the overnight hotel stay in Burnley. A tad profligate under the circumstances methinks but utterly unnecessary and bewildering.

Let’s be honest the Owner not The chairman as never been interested in Wigan Athletic. Probably doesn’t even know we’re it is. Not to pay his little £10000 fine is just a piss take. They can be given as much time as they want. The EFL now know these men can’t be trusted. To run a football club. At least the Chinese handed the keys back. These lot will see us fold. If we are not careful The problem we have. No one is batting from our side.

Start it off then...take ownership.
And therein lies the problem,folks shouting about wanting protests and action but none of them prepared to organise anything but wait for someone else to do something,the lack of news in the media shows we have nobody organising pushing our predicament!As I live abroad I keep checking Sky,BBC etc and online but it's not being reported anywhere until points are deducted and then quickly goes away again,It feels like we are dying in secret.

And therein lies the problem,folks shouting about wanting protests and action but none of them prepared to organise anything but wait for someone else to do something,the lack of news in the media shows we have nobody organising pushing our predicament!As I live abroad I keep checking Sky,BBC etc and online but it's not being reported anywhere until points are deducted and then quickly goes away again,It feels like we are dying in secret.

I've said this before on this thread but we run a social club and well wishes are constantly coming up with suggestions with what to do and when we ask for their help in doing what they suggest all the colour drains out them and they feck off sharpish in the other direction. Human nature i suppose.

Reactions: GSM
Ive tried to give the owners the benefit of the doubt, but today that is very difficult. Its worrying to say the least to awake and find that things are unravelling beyond ever being able to be put back together again.

The most worrying part of this mess is that if they are now in the process of keeping one promise. And that was the promise that this club will never have to suffer the pain of administration ever again. And if they do keep that particular promise, then as far as i can see the only alternative they could be left with is to bring the shutters down and walk away. Frightening, fucking frightening.
That was my sentiments also Dougie. Kept having the tiniest, squidgiest, most miniscule of hope & giving them the benefit of the doubt. It is indeed frightening.

I find it very disappointing that the club hasn't been able to put out a statement - however brief and meaningless - but I'm just as surprised that we've (apparently) heard nothing from the EFL either.

It may well be that there's something in the report that the owners are in talks with the EFL re an extension.

I know this won't please some/many, but I'm still firmly in the camp that a skint, incompetent owner (who's learned lessons, and put a realistic plan in place for the future) is better than another admin, with all the jeopardy that entails.

Last edited: