The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 200 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly that. Like I said let them face a team that attacks well or like we have seen in all games in the knockout stages which have been end to end besides the England game and see if they can keep the other team at bay. Moreover, the German performance yesterday deserved a hammering which would have been likely had he played Sterling Jack Foden Saka/Sancho. But instead are celebrating a win as if they won despite getting dominated in performance and possession by the Germans !

I dont think any team will go all out attack against us, as they are worried about our counter attack threat. Belgium are lauded by many as a fantastic team, yet they are equally good at sitting deep and playing on the counter. Its what they did as soon as they went one up against Portugal.

My issues with Sterling are that his touch is poor, he runs into blind allies and doesn’t release the ball early enough. That said, he does run at defenders, find great positions in the box and has a nice tattoo of a gun on his calf. All in all I’d say he’s good, not great - but there are only a handful of great players in any generation. He frustrates me at times, but he‘s done the business for England and I can see why Gareth plays him.
Sterling at least, like Jack,always tries to be forward thinking.

5 shots in 90 mins is not exactly taking the game to them, even Germany managed 9 shots
Like I said people only remember results, performances are forgotten if the result goes their way.
Nobody can tell me the plan was to hold them for 70 mins then put Jack on, Jack only came on because plan A failed.
Lets no make out he's a tactical genius
You do realise there's a whole world of options between "England just parked the bus" and "Southgate is a tactical genius"?

We had a game plan and it worked. Nobody was more pissed off with his team selection before the game but I'm just admitting that it worked.

To think Southgate fucked about for so long in deciding to include Jack in the England setup, with stupid excuses such as him not playing in the premier league or seemingly not playing for a London or North West club thus no doubt putting dangerous thoughts into his head about his Villa career given he’s so passionate about playing for his country.

And now we have a situation where, if it wasn’t for jack last night, the nation would be hounding Gareth out of a job.

I’ll straight up admit like probably several of us, I have a very personal issue with Gareth which stretches back to the early 2000’s. Perhaps I’m pathetic and need to get over it, but it really is taking the gloss off supporting England and enjoying these great results.

I’ve always wanted to see England win something in my lifetime, and now it looks likely according to the bookies, I’m still not completely happy. But then I am a club before country man and that will always be me.

Last edited:
To think Southgate fucked about for so long in deciding to include Jack in the England setup, with stupid excuses such as him not playing in the premier league or seemingly not playing for a London or North West thus no doubt putting dangerous thoughts into his head about his Villa career given he’s so passionate about playing for his country.

And now we have a situation where, if it wasn’t for jack last night, the nation would be hounding Gareth out of a job.

I’ll straight up admit like probably several of us, I have a very personal issue with Gareth which stretches back to the early 2000’s. Perhaps I’m pathetic and need to get over it, but it really it taking the gloss off supporting England and enjoying these great results.

I’ve always wanted to see England win something in my lifetime, and now it looks likely according to the bookies, I’m still not completely happy. But then I am a club before country man and that will always be me.
This pretty much sums up my feelings.

I dont think any team will go all out attack against us, as they are worried about our counter attack threat. Belgium are lauded by many as a fantastic team, yet they are equally good at sitting deep and playing on the counter. Its what they did as soon as they went one up against Portugal.

Based on the lacklustre performances, I highly doubt any team is shitting bricks at the thought of having to deal with an English counter attack.

Based on the lacklustre performances, I highly doubt any team is shitting bricks at the thought of having to deal with an English counter attack.

Sterlings electric pace and Kane who despite looking out of form is still one of the top strikers in world football + whoever fills the other forward spot (Jack, Foden, Rashford). No coach in this tournament is going to ignore the attacking threat we have.

Sterlings electric pace and Kane who despite looking out of form is still one of the top strikers in world football + whoever fills the other forward spot (Jack, Foden, Rashford). No coach in this tournament is going to ignore the attacking threat we have.

What matters is how Kane is currently performing and he isn't maybe because of a combination of lack of confidence, potential departure from Spurs and almost zero supply from the midfield. I can understand the other team paying special attention to Jack because he is dangerous in multiple ways whereas if they put two men on Sterling I am sure he will run straight into them instead and lose the ball.

To think Southgate fucked about for so long in deciding to include Jack in the England setup, with stupid excuses such as him not playing in the premier league or seemingly not playing for a London or North West thus no doubt putting dangerous thoughts into his head about his Villa career given he’s so passionate about playing for his country.

I’ll straight up admit like probably several of us, I have a very personal issue with Gareth which stretches back to the early 2000’s. Perhaps I’m pathetic and need to get over it, but it really is taking the gloss off supporting England and enjoying these great results.

Yep, I hate Southgate too. The fact that he clearly doesn't want to play the best player in the PL gets my goat no end.

Yep, I hate Southgate too. The fact that he clearly doesn't want to play the best player in the PL gets my goat no end.
If we don't win this competition I will always say it was because he didn't put Grealish in the team earlier. I'm bored of listening to Southgate saying there is so much competition for his position. He's head and shoulders above anybody else. Surely yesterday would have put that to bed. He gets things done. Saka was reported as playing well yesterday but I felt he flattered to deceive....there was nothing of consequence (no slight only 19).

It's difficult to see how England can fail to win the Euros. Playing at home [bar 1], well rested after an easy group [Germany had to get out of the group of death] and can't meet a top team [France, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Spain all in the other half]. Which ever team gets out of the other half of the draw will be knackered [France & Portugal already out of course].
If England had to commute between Baku, Rome, Amsterdam or play a top team they might look a bit more tired.

If we don't win this competition I will always say it was because he didn't put Grealish in the team earlier. I'm bored of listening to Southgate saying there is so much competition for his position. He's head and shoulders above anybody else. Surely yesterday would have put that to bed. He gets things done. Saka was reported as playing well yesterday but I felt he flattered to deceive....there was nothing of consequence (no slight only 19).
I thought Saka's interventions in midfield helped get us in the game after the first 10-15 minutes and he was good for a lot of the first half. I think he's excellent but would prefer to see him as an attacking wing back, leaving space for another attacker up front, but I regularly prove on here, just like most football fans, that I actually know pretty much fuck all about anything.

I thought Saka's interventions in midfield helped get us in the game after the first 10-15 minutes and he was good for a lot of the first half. I think he's excellent but would prefer to see him as an attacking wing back, leaving space for another attacker up front, but I regularly prove on here, just like most football fans, that I actually know pretty much fuck all about anything.
Ok but did he provide any decent crosses? I can’t remember it happening.

Pickford. And by a distance as well I think.

Possibly. 4 clean sheets is nothing to be sniffed at but I don't remember him making a tonne of saves.

Just checked. 7 saves in 4 games. So not loads to do but yeah he's been decent.

Still sterling for me though.

Pickford. And by a distance as well I think.

A lot of people were nervous about Pickford, probably myself given recent history of England goalies in big tournaments. His distribution is top class which justified his selection, but it’s his shot stopping which has been on point and had he not been on form, the results and outcomes could’ve been quite different.

So far for me:

1. Pickford 2. Sterling 3. Philips. Perhaps Stones in at number 4 who has been under the radar but not a bad thing for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.