‘The English Game’ | Vital Football

‘The English Game’

Norfolk Imp

Vital 1st Team Regular
I’m unsure how many of you have Netflix, but if you do then ‘The English Game’ is quite a watch.

Set back in the 1870’s it charts the struggles of a forgotten Mill town Darwen and then Blackburn in Lancashire against the power and privilege of former alumni of Eton, namely the Old Etonians.

it charts the fledgling years of the FA Cup and is in my opinion worth a monthly subscription alone.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed it. Norfolk do you think the factual errors spoiled it? The story is fairly accurate, so don't worry about that. Research Blackburn Olympic and FA cup winners after you have watched.

Binged it since having to finish work earlier in the week, I thought it was very good, not just about football either, Brigg got a mention first episode. Still one mans Rotten Tomato is another mans Oscar suppose

I really enjoyed it. Norfolk do you think the factual errors spoiled it? The story is fairly accurate, so don't worry about that. Research Blackburn Olympic and FA cup winners after you have watched.
Yes Alaska I did wonder as to the accuracy of the finer details myself ... There was no mention of ‘Olympic’ at all was there, as even then Rovers were the leading club in the town. I also noticed the ‘iron cross’ on the club shirt badge actually belonged to Gorton St Marks (later Ardwick and Man City) .... but that didn’t diminish to the story as a whole.

Last edited:
Watched it this weekend. Good piece of entertainment based on events during the formative years of the FA Cup. Clearly there is always going to be some dramatisation.

Personally I watched it as i thought it was good and based around football and really enjoyed it.

I didn't have any political or social axe to grind with it because I watched it for what it was and I want to enjoy life rather than go through life reading too much into a piece of whimsical entertainment.

Each to their own I guess but I am not that bitter about things and there are far more important things to be concerned about right now!

The World Cup - A Captain's Tale (TV movie early 80's) starring Dennis Waterman was good back in the day. Based on the true story of a mining team (West Auckland I think) that entered Thomas Lipton's World Club Competition as England's representative after the FA deigned it to be beneath them. They somehow cobbled the cash together and managed to travel abroad to win the competition beating the likes of The Old Lady along the way. I believe they got to keep the trophy which sadly was later stolen never to be recovered; probably melted down for scrap.

I’m unsure how many of you have Netflix, but if you do then ‘The English Game’ is quite a watch.

Set back in the 1870’s it charts the struggles of a forgotten Mill town Darwen and then Blackburn in Lancashire against the power and privilege of former alumni of Eton, namely the Old Etonians.

it charts the fledgling years of the FA Cup and is in my opinion worth a monthly subscription alone.
Pleased you reminded me of this. Will definitely be watching