The dawn of a new era...... | Page 2 | Vital Football

The dawn of a new era......

Something kicked off with the "band of brothers" when Jonny Foreigner, Sander Berge came in. They will have presumed on higher wages and the fans immediately latched onto him as the star player marque signing. I just have a feeling that this was the start of the festering discontent in the dressing room ?.
Wilder created that and it worked in spectacular fashion to get us a double promotion but soon as that band of brothers were under threat it backfired.
The difference with say Villa is they will bring in 2-3 marque signings per season and so there is an acknowledgement of continual squad improvement and strenghtening.
We make one signing outside our normal and the rest are rough diamonds and championship players hoping to make it in the Prem.
We don't only have to get promoted but accept that without significant New investment we could become the Northern Norwich yoyoing between the top 2 tiers.
Slav at least starts with a clean plate so no band of brothers, everyone has to prove themselves from today.
If they don't perform they will not play, no peroni culture loyalty.

Players negotiate their contracts and as time goes on one player will be earning more than another.
If all players had the nark on because one player was earning more than them there would be chaos at every club in the world.
Get McCabe's philosophies out of your head, he's gone

Welcome to the Lane SJ the best of luck for the forthcoming season.
I'd speculate he has one remit to achieve promotion at the first attempt, certainly not a transitional season, the owner/board will be expecting it and financially he needs it to happen.
The squad he has inherited is more than capable of mounting a challenge, it just needs motivating, if he doesn't manage to do that then we have a problem.
It seemed be posted on a regular basis on here and S2 that if relegation came to fruition, CW would achieve promotion without a problem, surely a guy with an automatic Championship promotion and another through the playoffs can't fail.
Good luck Slav.

Players negotiate their contracts and as time goes on one player will be earning more than another.
If all players had the nark on because one player was earning more than them there would be chaos at every club in the world.
I suppose it's easier to accept when the highest paid is helping you get your win bonuses.
A rare occurrence indeed last year.

What’s your take on what went wrong then Magnet ?. It was around that time period ?.

In the 19/20 season, we averaged 1.375 points per game before we signed Berge (33 points from 24 games) and 1.5 points per game afterwards (21 from 14.) I don't see any mileage in a "Berge derailed our season" scenario.

Personally, I think we fell off at the end mainly due to running out of steam. We didn't have as strong a squad as the other teams, so we couldn't risk many changes to the starting line-up, plus I suspect that we over-trained during lockdown while others gave their players a rest. I also think that a number of our players struggled to raise their games without any supporters in the ground, something which carried on into last season as well.

Best of luck Slav only thing i ask is please give us entertaining football and excitement. If we lose 4-3 or 5-4 i will go home happyish knowing we gave it a go and entertained. Better we win 4-3 or 5-4 or even better 4-0 or 5-0. We can live in Hope or even Castleton

All of us who can remember the days Currie ,Woodward, Badger, Hemsley and one who i think never gets enough credit for his past Dave Powell. Too many to mention but great days. Please can we have them back.
I agree re; Dave Powell mi owd pal,i always rated him as a very good defender,used to cover for BIG Eddie with his pace as i recall,Wales international as well.UTB

Disappointed he didn't once say 'tha noz' or call the interviewer 'luv' .

Are we sure he's got the Bladey Bladiness we're looking for..?

All of us who can remember the days Currie ,Woodward, Badger, Hemsley and one who i think never gets enough credit for his past Dave Powell. Too many to mention but great days. Please can we have them back.
'Enoch' was pure class, one of my all time favourites. Not much physicality about him for a centre back but his pace and timing meant opposition players he rarely got the better of him. Tragic that his career virtually ended when he was at his peak through a bad knee injury.

'Enoch' was pure class, one of my all time favourites. Not much physicality about him for a centre back but his pace and timing meant opposition players he rarely got the better of him. Tragic that his career virtually ended when he was at his peak through a bad knee injury.
He looked like he'd got all day because of his reading of the game. A pleasure to watch and as you say there was more to come when at his peak

What’s your take on what went wrong then Magnet ?. It was around that time period ?.

Not sure,
I don't think half the players came back fit enough after lockdown.

Lends me to believe that without being snarled at by Wilder and motivated daily by their involvement with each other some of them just tossed it off at home.

Plus Wilder deciding that we were only there to make the numbers up after all and steal an odd result here and there, a complete about turn from everything he'd done and said before.

Resorting to hoofball seems to be something that all our managers do when they don't get their own way, Wilson, Clough, and now Wilder. It seems that all of them when felt that they didn't get the backing they thought they deserved just thought.......ok to hell with it then.

Back in 1971, I had the privilege to spend a few hours in the treatment room with Dave Powell. Lovely bloke, but his language was “industrial” and then some, so it came as no surprise to hear, when he retired from football, that he had joined the Police force. :cool:

Last edited: