The Cricket Thread | Page 54 | Vital Football

The Cricket Thread

I think the game seems to be drifting away from England atm. With the third umpire getting that lbw wrong before lunch, Kohli is going on to be the probable match winner.

We need a couple of wickets fast.

It turned out to be an excellent win for England yesterday. Before Kohli departed I was beginning to have doubts it must be said.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Back to the bread and butter of Championship cricket and The Bears. The Bears play Durham next, starting as soon as tomorrow at Edgbaston.

Hope the weather stays decent for them.

So Alistair Cook will retire from International cricket after the next test.

Fantastic career for England and apparently a top bloke as well.

So Alistair Cook will retire from International cricket after the next test.

Fantastic career for England and apparently a top bloke as well.

Agreed. Probably the right time to stand down as well - form has evaporated this summer and it would be sad to see him clinging on and things going from bad to worse. A top quality player and captain - thanks Alastair :clap:

On reflection, I'm actually really sad that Cook is retiring. I still think it is probably the right time to go, although I suspect many of his current issues with the bat stem from the lack of a proper opening partner since Strauss went.

Tributes on Twitter from everyone are really quite emotional. Here's one from Aussie coach Darren Lehmann:

:clap::clap::clap:

The Bears are struggling today. With the weather conditions today, the toss was an important one to win. Unfortunately, Durham won the toss, put the Bears in and it's a hard slog. Currently Bears are 84-4.

After a late start, the Bears have manage to scrabble to 184-6 at the close today.

Must say, that's commendable under the circumstances - loss of toss and conditions.

Not sure what Tests are coming up, but probably a good time for him to bow out. That one catch alone this series was worthy of his inclusion though! Be sorry to see him go.

An incredible finish at Somerset v Lancashire - Somerset needed 78 in their second innings to win and collapsed to 77 all out :lol:

Match tied! Maharaj ending with 7-37. Match finished inside two days - dodgy pitch alert?

Durham fighting back against The Bears. At one stage they were 165-7, but they finished 224-7 at close....... that's just 86 behind The Bears first innings score.

At tea on the final day and The Bears finished their 2nd innings on 199 - that's a lead of 217.

I'd be amazed if there was a result in this match as there is only one session to go.

Fine innings by Alastair Cook in his final test - out for 71 dragging on, unfortunately, but a fine effort. Root our three balls later for a duck. Time for our collapse?

Yes - Bairstow has done exactly the same - 4-ball duck this time.

:arrghh::arrghh::arrghh: