The crazy world of modern money football | Page 2 | Vital Football

The crazy world of modern money football

Unfortunately it is the rate that xfer fees are inflating [exacerbated by state owned clubs making a mockery of sky high buyout clauses] that is the bull in the china shop.

The problem is all the clubs have more money than sense. In the past fees were gradually getting higher and higher but with the new TV deal all the clubs have found themselves with a ridiculous amount of spare cash. It is a bit obscene and off putting, especially when you see fees for average players which 2 or 3 years would only be reserved for the best players in the world. I am kind of glad we are not part of it... although of course I would prefer us to be in the premier league and I think it would be unavoidable to get caught up in it if we were in the PL

It's all relative I suppose.

There has always been big rich clubs and tiny poor clubs. Wasn't there complete disbelief when Trevor Francis became the first £1m signing?

But it has escalated in the last few years to ridiculous heights. Like David said, a part of me feels that Villa couldn't have been relegated at a better time. just to not be part of it. But even Championship spending from the bigger clubs has never been as high.

McParlandTheGreat - 30/8/2017 19:54

Today's figures are bizarre, but they are just figures. Don't worry.

Thats how I feel about it its just like monopoly money. The danger is for the smaller teams not the big clubs, the true big clubs, Manchester United are too big to fail but what about your Stokes and Bournemouths? I even feel Manchester City could fail when theres no money to be made they could fall away but United are at least a real brand and can stand on their own without the money.

Skys revenue needs to suffer first and I can see it happening if they fail to adapt the internet will take them over. They're offering a superior product for the moment like say HBO but if HBO cant keep up with the times they'll go too. With that said another little company could come along and keep the money train roaring.

I think clubs are simply paying what they can afford.

If the TV money dries up, they'll pay less. I don't think it will burst as such, the transfer fee's will just drop. There may be a few years of struggle for some clubs paying large contracts with less money coming in, but that'll soon level out too over a few years.

The fees are inflated because of the agents in my opinion. When an agent is getting money from both the selling and buying clubs, plus a wedge from the player they represent, it's in their interest to keep the merry-go-round spinning.
The clubs should say, "You represent the player. Let him pay all the costs."

ironside - 31/8/2017 10:11
The clubs should say, "You represent the player. Let him pay all the costs."

That would be nice in an ideal world, but some clubs won't play by the same rules. The only way to beat the system is to develop and buy in young talent, make a good profit when they move on.

The point in case is Benteke £7m in £33m out - how many years does that feed the academy. All you need to do then is to bring through the new and improve youth player. Simples!

However, looking at Southampton's accounts as perceived good practice they made an overall profit of £16.5m in 2015, £8.5m last year but still have net debt of around £39m. Transfers actually made a loss of £6.3m for 2015-16. Obviously not as simple as all that then.

It's a mad mad world
Drinkwater 35 mil to Chelsea but not good enough for the England squad
Mortimer worth a billion compared to him.
What does it all mean , when will it all end.

Very true words Erod.

Just imagine the value of the 1980 - 1982 squad based on today's prices.

Drinkwater for £35m, Jesus wept. It weren't that many years ago zidane went to real for £45m and he was worth every penny. To think sigurdsson cost as much just baffles me, the fees have jumped a lot in a short space of time and it seems paying that much is becoming the norm. Dembele to Barca for over £100m without the add ons, crazy! He got a few assists and goals last season and suddenly he's worth £100m more than Dortmund paid for him the year before!

There is just no loyalty in football any more apart from the fans . Footballers are after bigger pay packets or chumps league and will move at the drop of a hat. The clubs are just as bad no use castigating Van Dijk and Sanchez because if it suited the club they would be out the door.And even a player like Rooney who quite obviously loved Everton took the money and the chance of trophies over that love. Rare indeed are the Charlie Aitkins of this world who spend their whole careers at a club and constantly give their all.

Fulford - 1/9/2017 14:16

Very true words Erod.

Just imagine the value of the 1980 - 1982 squad based on today's prices.

Or other years indeed, 76-77 for example, priceless but still wouldn't have got caps whilst staying at Villa. Just think if we were in the top six of the PL we could buy Drinkwater and Evans for £60m. I am glad we are not.

VillaTomB38 - 1/9/2017 14:44

Drinkwater for £35m, Jesus wept. It weren't that many years ago zidane went to real for £45m and he was worth every penny. To think sigurdsson cost as much just baffles me, the fees have jumped a lot in a short space of time and it seems paying that much is becoming the norm. Dembele to Barca for over £100m without the add ons, crazy! He got a few assists and goals last season and suddenly he's worth £100m more than Dortmund paid for him the year before!

While its mad money for Dembele the kid looks like he could be a superstar and will be a terrifying proposition if he fills out his frame a bit more.

VillaTomB38 - 1/9/2017 14:44

I think the Neymar deal completely changed things overnight. Before that deal the idea that anyone was worth £100m+ was a bit insane, now the goalposts have moved and it's redefined the limits of the transfer market and now any good player who is relatively young is worth either around £100m or above.

I bet if Barcelona had offered £80m for coutinho in July it would have been accepted, now there's rumours they won't even accept a £130m bid... Dembele another one, bought him last year for £15m, decent but not staggering season at Dortmund suddenly worth £100m overnight

I'm saddened by the transfer fees currently, I just don't get it, even if I apply logic, business sense and an element of apathy. I am heartened by seeing our kids come through but if we get up this year, then it all gets moronic?!

In today's money, how much would Micah Richards of ten years ago have been worth?

When a club is in the PL that has a capacity less than 11,500 but is able to offer £25m for a player ..... all gone wrong

It can't last. Sky are already struggling, with droves leaving. Without the TV money, the whole pyramid comes down.

The sooner it happens, the better to me. It really does disgust me.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 2/9/2017 09:27

It can't last. Sky are already struggling, with droves leaving. Without the TV money, the whole pyramid comes down.

The sooner it happens, the better to me. It really does disgust me.

I was reading the other day about how Sky's demise in football is (relatively) fast-approaching as they are pricing themselves out of the market, but the concern is that the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime etc might step in to fill the void, including UK football in their portfolio, at obviously reduced prices to the consumer (used to be called 'fans' I think).

So for your £9 per month Netflix, or £80 a year Amazon Prime, you'd get the current Sky offering, near enough. They would still pay big money to the Premier League & EFL, possibly bigger than now, with the expected increase in subscribers footing the bill.

So we may never see the end of this crazy money. Who knows?

When Johnny Evans fetches £23m you know we have reached the end of days .
The sooner Sky die the better .