The Commentary Controversy | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Commentary Controversy

Would it be difficult for the local BBC stations to have a dossier on each player to send to their opposition counterparts to add a bit of flavour?
Would only need include name and number, pronunciation, and a few titbits. E.g.:
Jorge Grant #10, pronounced George. One of City's best players who has appeared primarily out wide or in an attacking midfield spot this season but also often deputises in defensive midfield when Bridcutt is out. Recently signed a new contract when many expected him to leave for a Championship club come the end of the season. Top scorer, primarily through penalties although has missed some recently and did not take one in the shooutout with Sunderland, although probably would have taken fifth.
Great idea but it might put the license fee up even more

The Wigan lads today were enthusiastic and biased. I'm absolutely fine with that as they also knew all of our players and kept their musings to what was going on in front of them. Decent effort by them
Agree, no complaints about local BBC reporters being biased at all. They did a good job today, called it as they saw it and knew all our players and a bit of extra info about most of them. They had done a bit of research, not much to ask of anyone doing their job.

Something I find surprisingly bad is radio commentary on penalty shoot outs. Against Sunderland, the radio commentary gave an initial false impression that Palmer had saved one. Just saying "saved" or "scores" followed by explanation and description is what is required. Horton is not the only radio broadcaster to do this I should add.

Something I find surprisingly bad is radio commentary on penalty shoot outs. Against Sunderland, the radio commentary gave an initial false impression that Palmer had saved one. Just saying "saved" or "scores" followed by explanation and description is what is required. Horton is not the only radio broadcaster to do this I should add.

I didn't listen but I can guess Hortin would be restricted to "SCORES" and "Uhhhr" as responses.

In the programmes in my day (quite a few years ago) the programmes used to give a bit of detail about the away team and each player. That was really useful to us as fans, but was gold dust to commentators as it would give them little nuggets of info to use during the game. Do they still include that in programmes?

I thought that too for the Sunderland shootout. A couple of times I thought Palmer had saved penalties, based on Hortin's commentary.