The Clément Lenglet Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Clément Lenglet Thread

I prefer Lenglet to Carlos in the footballing sense and he seems less prone to niggles which stops Carlos having a decent run. However, Pau is number one for me which means two left footers. Does that matter, I don’t know. Out of all of them, aerial power is our weak area and we’ve conceded from a lot of corners. The aerial power of a Van Dyke for instance, at both ends of the pitch - but it’s rare to have everything.

We have been remarkably unlucky with injuries this season and particularly injuries to centre backs. I don't think it's likely we are going to need 6 or 7 centre backs next season. Hopefully, the 4th choice CB barely gets a sniff. With Mings back, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend a lot of money on Lenglet.

They might be at the moment but he won't get those even in the PL so it depends if he's happy playing for us and happy to come within our wage structure. He's 28? so the perfect age for a CB,
Not sure how long is left on his Barca deal . It will boil down to money a longer contract on lesser wages might work or he might fancy his chances as a free agent getting a deal elsewhere

We’ll probably buy him, sell Carlos, then it will give Ming’s some time to get back up to speed. I can see Ming’s leaving as well, maybe next Jan or the summer after.

We’ll probably buy him, sell Carlos, then it will give Ming’s some time to get back up to speed. I can see Ming’s leaving as well, maybe next Jan or the summer after.
Mings and Carlos will both be 31 soon time to cash in whilst we can assuming either would pass a medical

Mings has got to prove that he recovers from this injury. Plenty of players who have had ACLs have never been the same and even more so at 31

his reported Barca wages are 250K p/w and we apparently pay 150K p/w of that - he's done OK altho we do ship a lot of goals.
I don't think he starts if everyone was fit so unless we've an absolute shitload of room ffp wise then can't see us taking him - unless he's free and taking a big wage cut and happy to be a sub.

What's he on then ?

There have been various claims but most seem to be around 150k a week. Now the reality is he's not going to get that anywhere else so he might be willing to take a drop.

But come next season we've got Pau and Konsa as our first choice CBs. We've then got a returning Mings, with the caveat that we didn't know if he'll be able to get back to what he was. We than have Carlos.

Presuming we get rid of Hause and Chambers that's still 4 CBs. Say we sell Carlos as well and there's a spot do we really need 3 left footed CBs? I've said before that I think our best option is to sell Carlos, not buy Lenglet and sign at least one high quality, younger CB.

I thought his first few games for us were shocking and I dreaded him being on the pitch. Now I think he's half decent and could improve further.

One thing for sure is we'd be in a worse place now than if we'd not had him to call on.

Whether we should try keeping him requires knowing far more details than I do - would he want to sign permanently, how much would it cost, how much can we afford, how is Mings likely to come back, etc.?

I'm comfortable for the club to go either way with him as I'm sure if he stays he could do a decent job, and if he doesn't then it simply wasn't possible or required.