The Championship Thread | Page 74 | Vital Football

The Championship Thread

They've overturned Sibley's red card then. It was petty but it was a red.

(Tom's dead by the way before you ask :grinning:)

Anyone watching Leeds vs stoke? stoke appear not to care whether they go down or not. It could be about 10-0.

No excuse for us not beating these - dreadful.

Anyone watching Leeds vs stoke? stoke appear not to care whether they go down or not. It could be about 10-0.

No excuse for us not beating these - dreadful.

Well, I would fully expect them to put in a shift against us and would say we would do well to win that one.

They can start by assessing their absolutely shambolic approach to loan signings, and offloading the likes of Hefele, Clough, and the other deadwood first.
I see Carvalho unsurprisingly linked with a move away.
Our defence is pretty set to be fair, but we need better than Watson, Sow is unreliable, Yates is useless. Colback coming back is an upgrade here on all of them.
We need a couple of flair midfielders, another genuine winger and another quality forward.
The biggest thing for me is that SL needs to adopt a much more progressive and expansive style of football going forward, and recruitment is only 1 part of that.

What does progressive and expansive style mean?

And how does it sit with the gegenpressing nature of how Lamouchi sets the side up?

Would you be happy if Lamouchi abandoned the style altogether if it meant conceding more goals, losing more games and, ultimately, a lower League position?

Our issue will be scoring goals , I fear Lolley is now out of action for the remainder hence my Direby game comments . He played on Tuesday when he shouldn't have been risked , he was risked due to the Direby result .

Rubbish!

Lolley is suffering from shin splints; inflamation of the muscle lining in the lower leg.

The cause of which is over pronation, or flat feet as it better known.

The inflamation can flare up at any time, so the theory that he should not have played on Tuesday is totally incorrect, and suggesting that he was risked due to the Derby result is entering into tin foil hat territory.

I agree. If Swansea win 3 of their 4 games they will get 72 points. Cardiff will also need to win 3 of 4. We need to win 2 of next 4 for some certainty. This time next week we will be celebrating. Well some of us will. Some will only see the negative.

"Some will only see the negative"

Yes, and its usually the same clueless clowns who post such erudite remarks on the match day thread.

And yes, your are correct, some of us will be celebrating in the next week or so because, whichever way you look at it, the season has been one of success and we have taken another step forward.

Of course that is not enough for some and never will be; that's the cancerous nature of a sense of entitlement for you.

What does progressive and expansive style mean?

And how does it sit with the gegenpressing nature of how Lamouchi sets the side up?

Would you be happy if Lamouchi abandoned the style altogether if it meant conceding more goals, losing more games and, ultimately, a lower League position?

I wouldn't necessarily describe our style as gegenpressing. It's more complicated than that.

How does it differ?

Gegenpressing, as I understand it is the whole team aggressively looking to win back the ball as soon as they have lost it in the opposition half.

This will primarily be done by men closing down opposing players, in particular the player with the ball.

Whilst we have a high press with Grabban. We do not necessarily press the man with the ball in an aggressive fashion. We primarily have Grabban pressing the space (which he is very good at. He is one of the most clever players I've ever seen in a Forest shirt in terms of dealing with space both when we have the ball, but also when the opposition have the ball, but I don't think he gets the credit he deserves in this regard) to cut an option for a pass and if we have other players high enough up the pitch, these will either mark players or cut out options, where possible, but this will not necessarily be done in an aggressive manner a la Liverpool in the opposing half. Also, we do seem to have spaces that we are happier for the opposition to play the ball towards and have the ball when they are in their own half.

However, you find that as soon as the opposition gets in our half - (in fact, I wouldn't even necessarily say as soon as they get in our half, but certainly as soon as they get 10 yards in our half) then our press is very aggressive in going primarily after the man as opposed to going primarily after the space to block off options.

Possibly Forest Boffin might be able to articulate this better than me if he still comes on the site?

Rubbish!

Lolley is suffering from shin splints; inflamation of the muscle lining in the lower leg.

The cause of which is over pronation, or flat feet as it better known.

The inflamation can flare up at any time, so the theory that he should not have played on Tuesday is totally incorrect, and suggesting that he was risked due to the Derby result is entering into tin foil hat territory.

Now whose talking bollocks ??? You part of the NFFC medical team FFS

Gegenpressing, as I understand it is the whole team aggressively looking to win back the ball as soon as they have lost it in the opposition half.

This will primarily be done by men closing down opposing players, in particular the player with the ball.

Whilst we have a high press with Grabban. We do not necessarily press the man with the ball in an aggressive fashion. We primarily have Grabban pressing the space (which he is very good at. He is one of the most clever players I've ever seen in a Forest shirt in terms of dealing with space both when we have the ball, but also when the opposition have the ball, but I don't think he gets the credit he deserves in this regard) to cut an option for a pass and if we have other players high enough up the pitch, these will either mark players or cut out options, where possible, but this will not necessarily be done in an aggressive manner a la Liverpool in the opposing half. Also, we do seem to have spaces that we are happier for the opposition to play the ball towards and have the ball when they are in their own half.

However, you find that as soon as the opposition gets in our half - (in fact, I wouldn't even necessarily say as soon as they get in our half, but certainly as soon as they get 10 yards in our half) then our press is very aggressive in going primarily after the man as opposed to going primarily after the space to block off options.

Possibly Forest Boffin might be able to articulate this better than me if he still comes on the site?

The original concept was exactly as you describe it, but it became pretty easy to counteract.

Klopp, who coined the phrase, and had great success at Dortmund with the pressing game, and Guardiola, who implemented the six second rule at Barcelona, have both developed and refined the approach.

Instead of having an all out press from the whole team they will use players to force the opposition to play in the areas they want them to play.

Lamouchi attempts to do this with Grabban as the focal point; obviously when you work with better quality like Klopp and Guardiola do, you tend to get a better end result.

If it's shin splints he needs a week off, Ice them up and hopefully he can play the week after. Diakahby is going to start Saturday isn't he.

@AdebolaCornflakes whats the password for the Boffin account chap?

But, but Grabban is shit chap?

I saw it on Saturday and Tuesday in match day comments.

They can't be wrong.

Can they?

Well? ANSWER ME DAMN YOU

Thought not.

*****m

The original concept was exactly as you describe it, but it became pretty easy to counteract.

Klopp, who coined the phrase, and had great success at Dortmund with the pressing game, and Guardiola, who implemented the six second rule at Barcelona, have both developed and refined the approach.

Instead of having an all out press from the whole team they will use players to force the opposition to play in the areas they want them to play.

Lamouchi attempts to do this with Grabban as the focal point; obviously when you work with better quality like Klopp and Guardiola do, you tend to get a better end result.

OK, understood. However, I would still associate gegenpressing with an aggressive press in the opponents half. I wouldn't say the way we press in the opposing half is overly aggressive, but once the ball gets in to our half, it is extremely aggressive.

I don't know if this would still fall under gegenpressing as I wouldn't say I'm overly knowledgeable about technical tactical terminology.

Gegen in German means against, so Gegen pressing (although the last part being an English word) is to press against.

One would presume that definite applies more accurately if it means at all or most times, which I don't think would apply to us as we allow the opposition to have the ball in certain places.

Moreover, I don't see any of our team bar Cash or Ribeiro as being fit enough to play in a system which I think would be classified as Gegenpressing.