The Cardiff Low Down (EFL Cup) | Vital Football

The Cardiff Low Down (EFL Cup)

PompeyFrippy

Vital 1st Team Regular
OPPONENTS: Cardiff City Football Club
MANAGER: Neil Warnock
NICKNAME: The Bluebirds
LEAGUE POSITION: 4th in the Championship (finished 12th last season)

THE JOURNEY: Fratton Park to Cardiff City Stadium - around 150 miles, less than 3.

LAST TIME OUT:
* Pompey started the season how they finished the last, with another win. It wasn't a dominant performance but Pompey probably deserved the 2-0 scoreline courtesy of Brett Pitman's brace.
* Cardiff also started the season with a win, beating Burton Albion away from home thanks to a Kenneth Zohore goal 3 minutes from time.

POMPEY STATS:
* Pompey's win on Saturday makes it 11 wins and 1 draw in their last 13 competitive fixtures.
* This will be Portsmouth's first cup game since November 8th, exactly 9 months after Pompey exited their 3rd domestic cup competition at the first stage last season.
* Although the FA Cup success of 2008 and the final in 2010 remains Pompey's fondest cup memories, Pompey have had some success against Championship opposition in recent years, beating both Derby and Ipswich in League and FA Cup respectively.
* The Blues have failed to get past the second round of the League Cup in the last 6 attempts, and have never got past the Quarter Finals since the cup's inception in 1960.
* Top Scorers: Pitman (2).

CARDIFF STATS:
* Cardiff City have only lost 4 times in their last 17 games dating back to February last season, keeping 7 clean sheets in that time.
* Cardiff's best run in the League Cup came in the 2011/12 season when they made it all the way to the final at Wembley against Liverpool. Despite taking the leaded the game finished 1-1. Liverpool took the lead in extra time but a 118th minute Ben Turner goal saw the game go to penalties, which Liverpool won.
* Since that season Cardiff have failed to progress past the 3rd round of this competition.
* Top Scorers: Kenneth Zohore (1).

HEAD TO HEAD (Courtesy of Pompeyrama.com):
* Pompey and Cardiff have met 59 times in their history. Pompey have a slight edge at 23-21 with 15 draws.
* The sides met 4 times in the Championship following Pompey's relegation and preceding Cardiff's promotion. Cardiff won 3 and drew 1 - the most recent a Bluebirds win at the Cardiff City Stadium. Pompey led 2-1 thanks to goals from Marco Futacs and Greg Halford, but a last minute Craig Conway goal saw the Welshmen take all 3 points.
* However, without a doubt the most famous meeting between these two sides came on 17th of May, 2008 at Wembley Stadium. Almost a decade ago Pompey ran out victorious in the FA Cup final thanks to a first half Kanu goal to win the FA Cup for the second time in their history in front of 89,874 people.

PLAYED FOR THEM/PLAYED FOR US/SCUMMER WATCH
* Brian Murphy - Pompey used 7 different goalkeepers in the 2015/16 season. None of them lasted longer between the sticks than Murphy who played 21 games until an injury put a halt to that. He signed as Cardiff's number 2 at the end of that season and may be in line for a start in the cup.
* Greg Halford - See "One to Watch" below.
* Nathanial Mendez-Laing - A flying visit during our ill-fated League One campaign in 2012/13. He played 8 games and failed to taste victory in all of them.

ONE TO WATCH:
* Greg Halford - Hard to pick an individual when the manager will likely rest some of his bigger names. Greg spent 2 seasons at Fratton and was a rare diamond in the rough. The ultimate utility man had a go as wing back, full back, centre back and even midfield. Since leaving he's even played up front for Forest although struggled to maintain a starting place since leaving.

PREDICTION:
* I've struggled to work up any enthusiasm for cups in recent years, Cook made it abundantly clear that we were going ot make no attempt to put together a cup run, and I'd expect KJ to be of a similar mindset, although I don't think our changes will be 'wholesale'. Expect an open game, with Cardiff eventually overpowering a valiant Portsmouth 3-1, Kabamba with Pompey's goal.

NEXT 5 GAMES:
Sat 12 Aug - Oxford United (A) - League One
Sat 19 Aug - Walsall (H)- League One
Sat 26 Aug - Wigan Athletic (A) - League One
Tues 29 Aug - Fulham U21s (H) - Checkatrade Trophy
Sun 3rd Sep - Rotherham (H) - League One

PUP

We did well in the cups in Cook's first season and with the expectations on Jackett not as demanding as last season, I'd hope we could but a decent run together this year. Ok, the FA Cup is the best competition, but a win against Cardiff and we'll be in the pot with the Premier League teams (including Scum). I obviously expect a few changes but hopefully nothing too wholesale and we can go there and 'have a go' at least.

PUP.

That FA Cup run was great, especially that goal against Bournemouth with about 50 passes leading up to Roberts tapping home, but I did enjoy having no distractions last season. There was a bit of a downer when we went out the FA Cup to Wycombe, but the League Cup (I'm refusing to call it by it's sponsored name) has always failed to get me to care about it.

That being said, it's a win-win tomorrow night. If we lose, it's one less distraction and if we win, like you said FB, we get to be in the hat and maybe, just maybe get a date with that lot down the road. At least the League Cup won't intentionally keep us apart like the Check-a-trade Trophy draw did.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed the League Cup games (lost track of the sponsored name, like you) against Derby and Reading a couple of seasons ago. Remember Chaplin scoring two great goals that really got people talking and maybe we could see the making of Kabamba this time around? If we can have another night like that in terms of performance, even if we do lose, I'll be happy enough.

The less said about the Checkatrade Trophy the better though...

The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game against Cardiff City this Tuesday.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583903">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Portsmouth travel to Cardiff City at the Cardiff City Stadium today for the EFL Cup, this will be a 7.45pm kick-off.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583907">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Portsmouth travel to Cardiff City at the Cardiff City Stadium today, this is a 7.45pm kick-off - the line-ups have been confirmed.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583958">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Yes, League One will be the Pompey priority but that isn't to say the Blues shouldn't take the cup competitions seriously, starting with the League Cup tie at Cardiff.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583943">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

All the stats from Cardiff City (2) vs (1) Portsmouth, Cardiff City Stadium, 8/8/17 Att: 6,592

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583965">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Yes, I know the saying is down but not out but in this instance Pompey are out of the League Cup but the Blues are not too down about the loss at Cardiff on Tuesday.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583971">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Yes, I know many weren't too bothered about a League Cup run, but I always enjoy a cup run. However, we bow out with NOTHING to be ashamed of.

We played well, some gave Jacket something to think about and it got some good minutes into the legs of many too.

Bring on Oxford!