The Business/Finance/Economics Thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

The Business/Finance/Economics Thread

Can we still trade Gazprom shares?

They have gone from £3.52 to £1.46 in the past few days.

I'll be keeping my powder dry for the moment but once it looks like the situation starts getting back to normal, there will be plenty of bargains in Russia.

We'll miss them all if Putin gets overthrown

Just looking through the best performing ETFs and everything is oil and gas at the moment. I figure that situation will settle down as the war looks to be winding down and Biden is under pressure over cost of living issues at home. The push for green energy will continue too.

I'm wondering where the next thing is. Is there a next big thing? Maybe renewable energy is where it's at? Maybe there isn't anything interesting on the horizon at the moment?

Just looking through the best performing ETFs and everything is oil and gas at the moment. I figure that situation will settle down as the war looks to be winding down and Biden is under pressure over cost of living issues at home. The push for green energy will continue too.

I'm wondering where the next thing is. Is there a next big thing? Maybe renewable energy is where it's at? Maybe there isn't anything interesting on the horizon at the moment?
I think renewables have picked up recently, they were sold off in the growth stock sell off in Jan but have been dragged back up by the broader rise in energy costs. I don’t trade that tactically so I couldn’t say if you’ve missed the boat or if there’s still any momentum. Obviously some renewable stuff was trading on crazy valuations last year anyway and you have to be careful with duration / rate sensitivity with these types of long dated assets.

Just checked the ishares global clean energy etf and it’s up 20% since mid-late Feb, but is flat over 12 months

I thought the MJ ETF would get a big bump from the House voting to decriminalise cannabis but it was flat yesterday.

Is weed just bad business or are the markets overlooking the potential upside?

I'm sure this latest interest rate increase will be the tipping point for a lot of people.

Seems a complete senseless decision given what's going on. They've said it's been done to curb spending. I think the energy price increases have already done that.

Of course it doesn't affect those who make these decisions.

I'm sure this latest interest rate increase will be the tipping point for a lot of people.

Seems a complete senseless decision given what's going on. They've said it's been done to curb spending. I think the energy price increases have already done that.

Said it before in this thread, I think ... I predict, especially if we get a hot/muggy summer, riots to follow.

Seems like they're going to drive us into a recession, not a nasty one but definitely tough times for some people. As usual, it's the people who can't afford it who bear the brunt of it and who are most at risk.

What most of us periodically forget is the people running things are just like us and they're absolutely clueless. Being an economist must be a fantastic job, even when you make a mess of things there is a job right around the corner.

Wish they'd get their fingers out of their arse's and put some emphasis on homebuilding to increase supply rather than launch rates into the stratosphere to stopping people from buying homes.

This recession is going to be ugly. On the one hand, they have to increase interest rates as inflation is going to hit 10% I’ve just read and we’ve been living off cheap credit for as long as I’ve been an adult. I was brought up as a child to save money in cash ISA’s almost as gospel, yet that is the worst investment advice you could give to someone looking to earn a return.

On the flip side, even though it’s only a small rate increase it won’t be the last. The interest rate increase to try to slow spending, will then mean the bottom 10% can’t afford to spend at all.

They government need to do something to help the poorest even if they want to start recovering their COVID debt rather than add to it.

This recession is going to be ugly. On the one hand, they have to increase interest rates as inflation is going to hit 10% I’ve just read and we’ve been living off cheap credit for as long as I’ve been an adult. I was brought up as a child to save money in cash ISA’s almost as gospel, yet that is the worst investment advice you could give to someone looking to earn a return.

On the flip side, even though it’s only a small rate increase it won’t be the last. The interest rate increase to try to slow spending, will then mean the bottom 10% can’t afford to spend at all.

They government need to do something to help the poorest even if they want to start recovering their COVID debt rather than add to it.

The idea to reduce VAT makes sense to me, eases some of the strain on direct purchases.

Whilst now isn't exactly the time to raise rates, Interest rates have been so low for so long that they have to go up, I believe they have been kept too low for too long. 'Permanently' low rates coupled with QE style policies have benefitted the rich in a huge, huge way.

Bottom line for me is that the government needs to do far, far more to help those who really need it.

The COVID debt by the way needs to be packaged up as a sort of war time debt and paid off over the very long run. To target it now is absolutely retarded.

Whilst now isn't exactly the time to raise rates, Interest rates have been so low for so long that they have to go up, I believe they have been kept too low for too long. 'Permanently' low rates coupled with QE style policies have benefitted the rich in a huge, huge way.

Bottom line for me is that the government needs to do far, far more to help those who really need it.

The COVID debt by the way needs to be packaged up as a sort of war time debt and paid off over the very long run. To target it now is absolutely retarded.

Complet agree, particularly the final point. That needs to be resolved over two or three decades, as you say like the post war era.

As a "millennial" I feel like we're constantly getting fucked over. Two unprecedented collapses, a low supply of homes, and now enormous interest rates. Just makes you wonder how the hell you're going to get a home.

As a "millennial" I feel like we're constantly getting fucked over. Two unprecedented collapses, a low supply of homes, and now enormous interest rates. Just makes you wonder how the hell you're going to get a home.

To be fair, my dad was paying 15, 16 and 17% interest rates at one stage, every month he says the letter from the mortgage company was saying it was going up. He worked 6 days a week. Had to do conscription. Didn't have health and safety at work to protect and so on. He lived through rationing, his dad was away from home for 6 years fighting in WW2 as a marine and was never the same when he returned.... I could go on re the lack of technology, the lack of decent shops, woeful pub opening hours, shite cars etc.

Not sure 'millennials' are getting any worse than any other generation.