The Business/Finance/Economics Thread | Page 61 | Vital Football

The Business/Finance/Economics Thread

Trump can't dump his shares until September.

I'd heard a six month delay or something like that, again this isn't my area, but it's why I thought it would run longer before it started to tank. Given CDX's post, I assume the calculation has been done that it won't tank so far that the rapist can't still nicely profit from it - even if it's not 'what it's currently worth' that he can't draw on.

I'd heard a six month delay or something like that, again this isn't my area, but it's why I thought it would run longer before it started to tank. Given CDX's post, I assume the calculation has been done that it won't tank so far that the rapist can't still nicely profit from it - even if it's not 'what it's currently worth' that he can't draw on.

He won't be able to unload that much stock in what is clearly a dog shit company without completely tanking the stock.

It is currently making a lot of his friends richer, that’s for sure. The con is something like, make a killing shorting the stock and some of this will get back to Trump as political donations.

This is interesting (at least to me). Google plans to have users pay for using their AI service. AI is enormously expensive to set up and run and Google thinks people will pay for it.

I'm not so sure. The internet grew up on the idea of free and open access. People really don't like paying for internet services.

Even news, which is something people used to routinely pay for is now free of charge. I watch sports online for free. I don't want to pay for it but I will pay for drinks to sit in a bar and watch it.

Would you pay to use AI?

This is interesting (at least to me). Google plans to have users pay for using their AI service. AI is enormously expensive to set up and run and Google thinks people will pay for it.

I'm not so sure. The internet grew up on the idea of free and open access. People really don't like paying for internet services.

Even news, which is something people used to routinely pay for is now free of charge. I watch sports online for free. I don't want to pay for it but I will pay for drinks to sit in a bar and watch it.

Would you pay to use AI?
My phone (Samsung s23) has just had its latest update, which includes a free AI update. Included is a translation app, where you can ask people to talk into it to get a live translation. Languages available are Chinese, Thai, French, Spanish and a few other major ones. Similarly it will live translate a phone call for both parties. Had a try with Mrs CV, and it only recognised Mandarin not Cantonese, her native language. Might be useful though for some future travels.
Wouldn't pay for it, as I've coped without it up to now.

Would you pay to use AI?
Microsoft are doing AI better than Google right now. Google are starting to look a bit desperate. They've been asleep at the wheel.

Microsoft are doing AI better than Google right now. Google are starting to look a bit desperate. They've been asleep at the wheel.
Yeah I can't see how google are going to manage that because MSFT is rolling out Copilot with MS365 so it'll just be part of the service.

Plus outside of work I don't think I really need AI unless I am a student.

I see Saudi Arabia has given up on The Line.

I'm a bit disappointed really. I was hoping they would go through with it before discovering what was obvious to anyone who looked at it.

UK inflation is way down based on the latest figures, nothing to do with the BOE but rather food prices coming down.

I wonder if at the next monetary policy committee they will vote to cut base rates or hold firm in an act of self delusion. I’m betting we will see a cut of 10-20 basis points. Nothing too sharp but they will be testing the water on cuts to come.

Given the state of the economy the base rate cannot stay this high.

A few years ago I invested in a hair loss clinic and I've seen this particular business grow a lot since.

Overall as a 'sector' it's pretty huge, companies like Numan, Manual and Keeps are making big bucks. These companies offer medicated treatments for hair loss which actually work. Their digital advertising is pretty extensive and I'd argue predatory as well.

I do wonder whether regulators will start to clamp down on them though. These companies are extremely cavalier. Medications like finasteride can have horrific side effects and some people shouldn't be taking it at all (e.g. if they have a history of anxiety and depression). But there's no real due diligence done. As more men take these medications more men will be getting side effects and the media will eventually catch on. Since some of these side effects can be persistent after discontinuation you can see the potential for class action lawsuits.

I've just seen Steve Eismann talking about investing in construction materials suppliers. One of the ones he mentioned was CRH.

@CDX_EIRE Do you deal with many publicly listed materials suppliers?

I've just seen Steve Eismann talking about investing in construction materials suppliers. One of the ones he mentioned was CRH.

@CDX_EIRE Do you deal with many publicly listed materials suppliers?
Not really thats more the contractor side but we see it come thru on the bids. They'll give us an indication of material increases but I couldn't tell you anything you wouldn't find yourself.

We get the overall increase generally speaking. In some markets Electrical Contractors are getting to a point where they can tell us what they'll do the job for and we can't do much about it. Labor for trades is still the biggest cost increase compared to materials.

I've worked with CRH they're a massive company and Irish-owned, or at least they were Irish-owned.

Here is the thing in the states, two examples, Columbus Ohio and Atlanta.

You have major players in hyperscale data center construction building campus's in both cities. You're talking multiple buildings over 40mw each by the likes of Microsoft, META, Google etc. and then you still have others like Vantage trying to build theirs too. On top of that you have major manufacturing facilities being built by the likes of Intel in Columbus and Rivian in Atlanta. All of these are +$500m minimum projects and so you're extremely limited in the contractors and subcontractors you can bring in.

I'd probably only look at companies with a good footprint in the states or plans to grow exponentially in the states. The reason being that the total capacity being built in Europe by some of these companies is smaller than what they're building in a single states in the US, its insane.