The Bjorn Engels Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Bjorn Engels Thread

I thought Engels was brilliant when he first came but his form dropped off considerably just at a time when Konsa went up a gear. I wish him luck.
Yes he was very solid then seemed to have a major fall-out with Smith and never played again. I didn't see a player who wanted to play for Villa, we need players who would die for the cause and play through injury

I thought Engels was brilliant when he first came but his form dropped off considerably just at a time when Konsa went up a gear. I wish him luck.
Spot on Mr. F. It was being suggested that Engles would get into the Belgium side and Martinez was having a very close look at him. Dont know what happened to him

Was he that slow? Can’t say I ever noticed it. I thought he was alright but obviously fell out of favour and ultimately wasn’t as good as Mings or Konsa. He’s been around quite a few clubs now suggests something’s not quite right with his approach. Wasn’t terrible but will will undoubtedly be forgotten in 5 years time.

I’d be shocked if we weren’t signing a centre back to replace him in the squad. The youngsters look like a way off yet.

My brother called him a Belgian Richard Dunne :ROFLMAO:

I'm surprised that Engels has gone back to Belgium. I would have thought that he could have found a lower ranked PL side or a decent Championship side.

I wonder if there is something going on in his personal life.

I'm surprised that Engels has gone back to Belgium. I would have thought that he could have found a lower ranked PL side or a decent Championship side.

I always wondered if he was the one with asthma who couldn't/wouldn't play after the lockdown and the one who had his vulnerable mother in law living with them.
Never going to be looked upon favourably by management despite what they might say publically

Poor player in my opinion. Will be remembered for his fuck ups rather than anything positive.

Maybe he's just not that good? He looked great for a month or two here but then started to look a bit dodgy at times after that.
I don't know, he's gone home so who knows, I'm guessing it's yet another giveaway as Antwerp won't be able to afford his wages.

Unless DS has decided we are going to play 3 at the back at times this year?

Apart from a brief period in early 2020 when we went 3 at the back we've always played a variation of 4-3-3 so I just can't see it happening. I don't like 3 at the back for Villa anyway if I'm honest. Ever since John Gregory ditched it in the late 90s the only time I've seen us play it is when the manager is desperate and running out of ideas. Mcleish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo, Bruce and Smith have all tried it when we were struggling and its never worked properly for us.

Hope we got a half decent fee. Shame it didnt work out, came with a lot of promise if memory serves me right (which to be fair, is a 50/50 if these days!)

I think he if were any good there'd be better clubs after him. He started very well but that petered out after a couple of months. A horror show performance away to Fulham in the cup and his late fuck up against Spurs stick out.

I think it's a case of a fairly decent player starting well then regressing to the mean. Just wasn't better than Mings, Konsa and Hause. Now off to Antwerp which is probably the lads level.

I think he if were any good there'd be better clubs after him. He started very well but that petered out after a couple of months. A horror show performance away to Fulham in the cup and his late fuck up against Spurs stick out.

I think it's a case of a fairly decent player starting well then regressing to the mean. Just wasn't better than Mings, Konsa and Hause. Now off to Antwerp which is probably the lads level.

Injury kept him out of the team for some time. Not sure he can be judged by the Fulham and Spurs matches; other players aren't penalised so harshly for their mistakes.

No he's not better than Mings, Konsa and Hause. But that's a high bar. Is he no better than whoever his placement is? I like Konsa but he owes a lot to Mings providing support. Hause has talents but also weaknesses and I'm not sure he's better than Engels. I reckon Engels is our best attacking player at corners, at which the other three haven't achieved much.

I just have a feeling there's a story out there. Certainly DS has well and truly ditched him; why? Managers do this, but there's usually a story behind it. I can think of several possibilities (with nothing to back up any of them).

Last edited:
Apart from a brief period in early 2020 when we went 3 at the back we've always played a variation of 4-3-3 so I just can't see it happening. I don't like 3 at the back for Villa anyway if I'm honest. Ever since John Gregory ditched it in the late 90s the only time I've seen us play it is when the manager is desperate and running out of ideas. Mcleish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo, Bruce and Smith have all tried it when we were struggling and its never worked properly for us.
Southgate,Ugo and Stan worked well for a while.Certainly we have potential wing backs with Cash and Targett.

Southgate,Ugo and Stan worked well for a while.Certainly we have potential wing backs with Cash and Targett.

That's why I said ever since John Gregory ditched it, which he did in the late 90s. Ever since then whenever we've tried to use any 3 at the back formation we've almost always looked rubbish. I don't trust it. Not that its going happen anyway mind.