The Alex Moreno Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

The Alex Moreno Thread

Whilst at this stage of the season any player is a loss - not too concerned about this.

Not PL quality imo.
Definitely wins the most predictable post of the year. :grinning: How can you not be concerned at such an important stage of the season to lose any of the squad irrespective of whether you continually bang on about what a dreadful player he is?! If Digne is injured early in the game tomorrow, Moreno’s injury becomes a big issue not just tomorrow but in the league as well. But I guess shoving anyone at left back will be better than Moreno no?!

But if something happens to Digne tomorrow, we are in the shit somewhat.

If Digne got injured and we forced to play Moreno - that's a major downgrade in any case

Maybe he was playing through an injury - but his form has fallen through the floor in recent weeks. Pretty much everyone was calling for Digne to start a few weeks back.

If Digne is sold in the summer - I think at the very least a player will be signed to push Moreno for a start - if not starting over him.

Definitely wins the most predictable post of the year. :grinning: How can you not be concerned at such an important stage of the season to lose any of the squad irrespective of whether you continually bang on about what a dreadful player he is?! If Digne is injured early in the game tomorrow, Moreno’s injury becomes a big issue not just tomorrow but in the league as well. But I guess shoving anyone at left back will be better than Moreno no?!

If Digne gets injured and we suffer a woeful run of results then yes I would hold my hand up and say I got it wrong.

I just don't get the love in with such a bang average full back.

If Digne gets injured and we suffer a woeful run of results then yes I would hold my hand up and say I got it wrong.

I just don't get the love in with such a bang average full back.
So I guess Unai got that one wrong in your book then buying a bang average full back. He’s struggled this season but thought he was excellent last year. Performances in general were far from bang average imo. Pretty sure his injury and no pre season have contributed significantly to his struggles this term.

So I guess Unai got that one wrong in your book then buying a bang average full back. He’s struggled this season but thought he was excellent last year. Performances in general were far from bang average imo. Pretty sure his injury and no pre season have contributed significantly to his struggles this term.
All about opinions - eye catching going forward sure - but always weak defensively imo.

Unai make a mistake? - well he dropped Moreno for Digne recently so you decide.

All about opinions - eye catching going forward sure - but always weak defensively imo.

Unai make a mistake? - well he dropped Moreno for Digne recently so you decide.
It’s not about individual games. He was first choice last season, Digne took his chance brilliantly this season and Moreno’s struggled on returning this time around. That doesn’t mean Emery shouldn’t have bought him does it? Unai obviously didn’t think he was buying a ‘bang average’ full back. You clearly think he made an error buying him. He obviously rates him much higher than you do.

Moreno has a potentially career ending injury. He relies on his pace and mentally this must be a bad one to come back from. I don’t think he will be a massive miss.

Hopefully, the lad gets fit soon and back to his best for next season, I tend to trust Unai and his judgement on a player.
If he doesn't get back to full fitness and form I see The Sultan bringing in a new left-back next season as he sees it as far more critical to how he plays.
You have to be quick fit and a virtual winger .
Digne is a regulation left back , which is not what Unai wants and what Unai wants Unai gets.

I don’t recall Moreno being an error in recruitment when he was on form and an important weapon in Unai’s attacking approach.

His injuries have really set him back and it’s understandable his level has dropped.

As V57 said, Unai wants his FBs to be super quick with a good cross and able to play as a wide attacking player when we have the opposition kettled in their half etc.

Moreno is that mould and if unable to return to full form and fitness then he’ll go find another.

Moreno is a quality player who has struggled a bit after a terrible injury, but he is no where near as bad as being made out by some. Definitely premier league quality for me and this is injury is certainly a blow.

Interesting that 18 months into Unai's reign he hasn't got rid of Digne. Infact he has realised that currently and this season Digne has been in better form than Moreno and has now dropped Moreno, pre injury of course.
The pigeon holeing of him as a standard LB is unfair. That assist Sunday shows it for example.
I just don't see this massive attacking drought on the left side when Moreno doesn't play that others do. Don't remember any mass post match we miss Moreno so badly this season .

Like I've said before this isn't one is better than the other. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Both have a place imho. But Digne definitely unfairly gets the rougher end of opinion. Like I said I think Digne has through his play this season turned Unai's alledged 'opinion' of him.

Interesting that 18 months into Unai's reign he hasn't got rid of Digne. Infact he has realised that currently and this season Digne has been in better form than Moreno and has now dropped Moreno, pre injury of course.
The pigeon holeing of him as a standard LB is unfair. That assist Sunday shows it for example.
I just don't see this massive attacking drought on the left side when Moreno doesn't play that others do. Don't remember any mass post match we miss Moreno so badly this season .

Like I've said before this isn't one is better than the other. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Both have a place imho. But Digne definitely unfairly gets the rougher end of opinion. Like I said I think Digne has through his play this season turned Unai's alledged 'opinion' of him.
Yep…I do think he initially brought Moreno as he thought his strengths were probably more suited to the way we play but no doubt this season, Digne has done a terrific job down that left hand side. The left back department at the club is looking very decent. Two very good left backs and I think Digne is another example of Unai and co improving players the longer they’re at the club.

Both Moreno and Digne are turning 31 in the summer, which, while not too old, means that their resale value is probably falling. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of them moved on and a younger version brought in or maybe Revan will step up.

My money is on Digne being sold as his reported wages are huge. No room for sentiment here, we need to progress.

Digne like a few of the others has improved hand over fist and fair play to him and even more credit to Unai for bringing about that improvement in a senior player.

I've seen loads of players over the years suffer for missing a pre season , Moreno had a major injury and not only missed the pre season but has got to mentally deal with running flat out and it seems to me he is still not 100% confident that he can.

Yup it's a pretty narrow minded view just to promote a narrative.

We need everyone available at this stage of the season. It's a big worry now.
Plus the fact it would appear that the use of both fullbacks in the course of most games is central to Unei thinking if the game isn't going aswell as he would like.