The academy needs to produce more...... | Page 2 | Vital Football

The academy needs to produce more......

The point I was trying to make is still valid though. The number coming through compared to other clubs is very very low for a catchment area this big, regardless of whether cat 1 academies pinch the best ones or not.

Could we improve their coaching to get more through for example? Do we just never give players a chance? Matt baker being an example now playing for Newport or just unlucky?

With every respect, the catchment could be the size of Belgium and it won't make a material difference.

The system is not set to help smaller clubs - EPPP is designed to favour the big fish.
It simply is a sink hole for money to put in place what would otherwise be a vanity project.

Its painfully obvious here that the academy doesn't produce enough first team players and I think the last player produced who consistanly played was Tucker?

He has obviously left now but that was some time ago. Yes we have had a few players get a few minutes here and there but recruitment would be easier and cheaper if we had 1 or 2 coming into the first team group on a regular basis.

On a positive though as I understand it the under 13's through to under 16s are particularly good with the under 14s being a stand out group.

Maybe those involved in that more on here can clarify that.
I have watched a fair bit of youth football ,but not recently.
My opinion is that we appear to produce excellent under 16s.For many years I believe Brian Bull has been responsible for that age group. At under 18s we have had a large number of different coaches over the years.These have had mixed results at best.Then perhaps the biggest failing is getting those players into the first team squad from there.
Not sure what the plan is for next season?
If The B team has been shelved then my guess is that we may well be going for a younger first team?
Which could make life more difficult in the short term. But perhaps easier if someone grabs the chance when it comes along. A bit like Tucker did really as he appeared to be going nowhere when he got a chance.

I have watched a fair bit of youth football ,but not recently.
My opinion is that we appear to produce excellent under 16s.For many years I believe Brian Bull has been responsible for that age group. At under 18s we have had a large number of different coaches over the years.These have had mixed results at best.Then perhaps the biggest failing is getting those players into the first team squad from there.
Not sure what the plan is for next season?
If The B team has been shelved then my guess is that we may well be going for a younger first team?
Which could make life more difficult in the short term. But perhaps easier if someone grabs the chance when it comes along. A bit like Tucker did really as he appeared to be going nowhere when he got a chance.
The U18s have done well in the FA Youth Cup this season, getting to the 4th round before eventually losing to Sunderland, who have a top Category One rated academy I believe.

The U18s have done well in the FA Youth Cup this season, getting to the 4th round before eventually losing to Sunderland, who have a top Category One rated academy I believe.
They also won the youth Allance league back in 2004/05 season I believe. But when they do well it still has been difficult to turn the 18 year olds into 1st teamers within a few year's.