That Rugby tackle/corner retake | Vital Football

That Rugby tackle/corner retake

Defenestrator

Vital Reserves Team
I'm confused about the reason why the ref didn't give a penalty when Josh Andrews was obviously brought down just as the corner kick was taken.

Apparently, a penalty wasn't awarded as the ball wasn't in play.

However, there have been quite a few managers and players over the years who've been red-carded after the final whistle has blown or at half time. And the ball isn't in play then.

Can anyone clarify this?

I'm confused about the reason why the ref didn't give a penalty when Josh Andrews was obviously brought down just as the corner kick was taken.

Apparently, a penalty wasn't awarded as the ball wasn't in play.

However, there have been quite a few managers and players over the years who've been red-carded after the final whistle has blown or at half time. And the ball isn't in play then.

Can anyone clarify this?

I don't know but presume this.

The match is "halted" when then ball goes out of play and restarts when the corner is taken (legally). As the ball didn't come back into play the game hasn't restarted.

Thing is if someone chinned the GK before the corner was taken I bet he would be sent off.

I guess the ref just went for the easy option of saying retake the corner.

You can be disciplined, booked or sent off for assaulting an opponent when the ball is not in play and therefore play is not live, but you can't give a free kick or penalty, which is what Clem was wanting. Seemples.

So the question is whether the undue manhandling of Andrews was worthy of a booking or dismissal. The ref thought not, and in many cases both players are holding the other which makes things complicated.

To which corner are you referring ?

IIRC,
1st Corner: Halted as defender wrestles Andrews.
Ref. speaks to defender.
Not surprised there was no penalty.

2nd Corner : As corner is being takwn, Andrews spins to his right.
Defender has arm around Andrews which appears to pull down Andrews.
Penalty not given.

Are you suggesting that the ball was not in play - at ANY time while Andrews was being pulled down ?

If that is the case, then surely FIFA need to do something about that ?
How can it be right for a pull/push that gives one side an unfair advantage be ignored because it is tenths of a second before a freekick ?

One simple answer. The Ref's whistle signals the resumption of play.
What occurs as the kick-taker faffs about should be subject to normal rules of play.

Last edited:
You can be disciplined, booked or sent off for assaulting an opponent when the ball is not in play and therefore play is not live, but you can't give a free kick or penalty, which is what Clem was wanting. Seemples.

So the question is whether the undue manhandling of Andrews was worthy of a booking or dismissal. The ref thought not, and in many cases both players are holding the other which makes things complicated.
That’s not what happened. The referee allowed the corner to be taken. Andrews was wrestled to the ground. The referee blows the whistle and orders the corner to be retaken. He apparently told Andrews it would have been a foul if the ball had been in play. But he didn’t stop play until after the corner had been taken. I can’t see any way in which this fits within the current rules.

the offence either happened befor e or after the cornerr was taken.e

it's a penalty or a warning for the defender and the corner to be taken.

If anyone here is more clear on referring than I am…..I’ve never understood why just as free kicks or corners are about to be taken, the ref will often stop it being taken to speak to jostling players. Why doesn’t the ref just let them get on with it then if there’s an offence once the ball is in play, he awards whatever he believes? It infuriates me that we have these stoppages!

If anyone here is more clear on referring than I am…..I’ve never understood why just as free kicks or corners are about to be taken, the ref will often stop it being taken to speak to jostling players. Why doesn’t the ref just let them get on with it then if there’s an offence once the ball is in play, he awards whatever he believes? It infuriates me that we have these stoppages!
Absolutely. What’s he saying ? “If I see you Mr Defender fouling I’ll give a penalty. If I see you Mr Attacker fouling I’ll give a free kick.” It’s become one of the most pointless bits of time wasting in football. And all from the authorities who, apparently, are desperate to speed the game up. Equally what point is served by some of the other long lectures from referees ?

It's one of my biggest peeves with referees (of which there are many, as you all know)

Just let them get on with it, they're professional adults not kids on a Sunday morning who need telling.

As for the incident on Saturday, the ball was definitely in play when the ref blew up, so should have been a penalty.

When i ref at the first corner i generally shout "any pushing / pulling it's going to be a penalty or a free kick".

It generally works.

WX is doing the right thing, while most refs have given up on the shambles that takes place at corners and free kicks.
We have four match officials and VAR , collectively incompetent at applying the laws of the game.