Thank you Paul Scally | Vital Football

Thank you Paul Scally

GillsBluenose

Vital Football Hero
As a recent critic, while also condemning Perry's tactics, I want to be fair and congratulate PDPS on finally doing the right thing.

I don't care that you have retained a minority shareholding. I don't care whether you have or have not made a bundle on the sale. I don't care if our shareholdings are worth even less - You have finally done it, and I salute you, sir !

We have had good times and you kept the club afloat during the difficult times. You have made a lot of mistakes but also some pretty good decisions.

You will never be a good PR man and can be petty, but you know business and have found what looks to be a good successor to pass the club on to.

Credit where credit is due.(y)(y)

As a recent critic, while also condemning Perry's tactics, I want to be fair and congratulate PDPS on finally doing the right thing.

I don't care that you have retained a minority shareholding. I don't care whether you have or have not made a bundle on the sale. I don't care if our shareholdings are worth even less - You have finally done it, and I salute you, sir !

We have had good times and you kept the club afloat during the difficult times. You have made a lot of mistakes but also some pretty good decisions.

You will never be a good PR man and can be petty, but you know business and have found what looks to be a good successor to pass the club on to.

Seconded.

Whether pro or anti PS, no one can deny the good times we had with him at the helm. And all agree it’s time to pass the baton.

Best of luck in your (semi) retirement.

Putting aside all the crap from him and to him, we have had some fantastic times and seen some of the best football and players in my time as Gills fan, under his stewardship. I will remember his time for that. Thanks, Paul, it's been a rollercoaster, but the highs have been fantastic. Put your feet up and enjoy a well earned rest. Who knows, we still may see the Gills in the Premiership with you still with us. Cheers x

Putting aside all the crap from him and to him, we have had some fantastic times and seen some of the best football and players in my time as Gills fan, under his stewardship. I will remember his time for that. Thanks, Paul, it's been a rollercoaster, but the highs have been fantastic. Put your feet up and enjoy a well earned rest. Who knows, we still may see the Gills in the Premiership with you still with us. Cheers x
Not sure he will be able to put his feet up just yet incoming player transfers in January could well be his final job .Sorting deal agreements before Galinson arrives. I would expect that will be the target date for the new players the major name or names anyway.Then Scally can take a well earned semi retirement with my best wishes. There have been some good times and hopefully in time we will be able to focus mainly on that memory.

Totally agree GBN.
We’ve certainly had the best and worst years under Scally and overall, his tenure must be considered a success.
As for the new owner.
Well, only time will tell.
I’ve already had a message from my Charlton mate telling me that they felt exactly the same when Sandgaard took over there and it hasn’t panned out as they hoped.
He reckons they have gone backwards.

Older fans (ie the majority of this site!) will certainly have the most to thank PDPS for. Saved the club. Built a modern stadium. Took us to Wembley and the second tier of English football.
Younger fans however will not have enjoyed those same highs, as we have slowly declined over recent years. For them I hope that by selling the club on, those fantastic times can be enjoyed by a new generation.

I think Scally gets a hard ride from some sections, admittedly he has a tendency to make a rod for his own back but he’s only human and cannot be expected to get every call right. Anyone who has ever directed personal abuse in his direction should be ashamed. For me I’m grateful for everything he has done but these last few years have been tough for everyone connected with the club and change was needed. Carl Asaba hit the nail on the head last night with his tweet as too did Barry Ashby.

Not sure he will be able to put his feet up just yet incoming player transfers in January could well be his final job .Sorting deal agreements before Galinson arrives. I would expect that will be the target date for the new players the major name or names anyway.Then Scally can take a well earned semi retirement with my best wishes. There have been some good times and hopefully in time we will be able to focus mainly on that memory.

Most likely Galinson will set the fee budget, Paul Fisher will do the admin and after getting confirmation from Galinson will be the one to sign the paperwork. I'd expect Scally's role to be more advisory at this point although no obviously so far no official statement has been made if Scally is still a director. All we know is Scally still has shares.

Good post. Highs and lows under scallys tenure for sure. His charachter and behaviours were always too billigerent and he never looked to build bridges with the fan base. Over time more and more just turned away

We have to thank him for the good times and for handing the club off to someone who can hopefully progress us

I hope scally is silent going forwards, I hope he enjoys a long, happy retirement.

Time to turn over the page and change direction. US style PR can be a bit corny but its just what we need for a bit.

Go Invicta Stallions !!!!

Paul Scally certainly has my thanks for 27 years that we all may never have seen. Even only from a distance in my case.

And even if someone else had the balls to take on GFC in 1995, I very much doubt they’d have got us the promotions, the Wembley appearances, great cup ties, giant killings and all the legendary players that have worn the Gills shirt in that time.

There are many who rightly say we’ve come full circle under PS by finding ourselves at the bottom of the league pyramid.

But it can also be argued he took over a squalid club in administration, staring at liquidation, a dilapidated stadium, with £millions of debt and minimal fanbase. He’s sold on a club as a good and viable going concern, with 3/4 of a decent stadium, larger fanbase, worth (and sold for), many £millions. If this deal had happened just a year or 2 ago, we’d have also been in a higher league position than we’ve spent the vast majority of our history.

If he’d not been so antagonistic and been half decent at PR and customer relations he’d probably be very highly feted.

Happy semi-retirement Paul. Thank you.

Last edited:
I think Scally gets a hard ride from some sections, admittedly he has a tendency to make a rod for his own back but he’s only human and cannot be expected to get every call right. Anyone who has ever directed personal abuse in his direction should be ashamed. For me I’m grateful for everything he has done but these last few years have been tough for everyone connected with the club and change was needed. Carl Asaba hit the nail on the head last night with his tweet as too did Barry Ashby.
I am not on twitter. I don't suppose you could post what they said?

I am not on twitter. I don't suppose you could post what they said?

Carl Asaba -

Wonderful news for @TheGillsFC fans, A bright new dawn with optimism that rebuilding and exciting times are ahead.
I hope Paul Scally is remembered for saving the club and taking it on a wonderful journey of which I am proud I was on a tiny part of. #gfc #gills #gillinghamfc

Carl Asaba -

Wonderful news for @TheGillsFC fans, A bright new dawn with optimism that rebuilding and exciting times are ahead.
I hope Paul Scally is remembered for saving the club and taking it on a wonderful journey of which I am proud I was on a tiny part of. #gfc #gills #gillinghamfc
Cheers osk