Tesco Value Match Thread: Sunderland Vs Forest (No one would sponsor, not even Fawaz fridges) | Page 6 | Vital Football

Tesco Value Match Thread: Sunderland Vs Forest (No one would sponsor, not even Fawaz fridges)

I've taken from a few cryptic pictures & tweets from him that he has refused moves away.

Presumably one of them would have been a return to Greece with Olypiacos, who probably consider that as they bought him for Fawaz, they get to take him. Might explain why he's being frozen out. Hope he hasn't got a favourite bakery he frequents.

InvincibleBrianMan - 13/9/2017 14:34

McDurbanForest - 13/9/2017 00:52

The game was very pedantic last night, not helped by constant buffering on my end.

Hate to be pedantic, but why were you buffering your end while the game was on?

Neither use of the word pedantic is correct there. I am being pedantic now.

trickynumber5 - 13/9/2017 02:36

The game was very pedantic last night, not helped by constant buffering on my end.

Hate to be pedantic but I was being a non explicit pedant.

Those saying we would not get a point last night or any game in September, are now saying Sunderland are shit

I hate to be pedantic

Banger & Pope (not often they go together) a question for you:

I think you're both a@@@@ the bigger advocates for Zak (I see ability too but at times I struggle to see where he fits in) - do you see a place for him in games away from home when we want to grind out a win similar to last night?

Calvin Plummer - 13/9/2017 15:27

I think you're both a@@@@ the bigger advocates for Zak (I see ability too but at times I struggle to see where he fits in) - do you see a place for him in games away from home when we want to grind out a win similar to last night?

I'm going to answer, even though I haven't been asked. He'd be playing behind a striker in what looks something similar to the role it seems Dowell played last night. Dropping back into midfield when we needed another body.

factchecker - 13/9/2017 15:35

I'm going to answer, even though I haven't been asked. He'd be playing behind a striker in what looks something similar to the role it seems Dowell played last night. Dropping back into midfield when we needed another body.

Dowell looks better equipped physically to me, but agreed that's the option. If MacKay wasn't so good possibly on the left of the front 3 too.

InvincibleBrianMan - 13/9/2017 15:34

I probably could have worded that better. :50:
Pedantic was certainly the wrong word to use.

trickynumber5 - 13/9/2017 14:36

'Evening My fellow pedant.

Behind Red Eyes - 13/9/2017 12:14

Starting Vellios would be utterly backwards.

Murphy is the best striker at the club by far, and Brereton is getting good experience playing.

We're developing a unified squad using experience to bring through our youth, and folk are wanting to throw a fringe player in there who will likely be off at some point, and has no real future here, instead of developing our youth.

Crackers.

From the king of both backwards and crackers I'm inclined to bow to your superior knowledge.

However, Velios is only 25. He could have another good 6 years here and has made it clear that he wants to be in England. If he is here shorter than that it's because we've taken a blinkered view as to what he can offer.

Can you see Brereton being here for 6 years? I can't. So who are we developing him for and to what end? There's no guarantee he's going to kick on and at the moment his contribution is minimal in terms of goals.

I'm not criticising Ben. I think he's a great prospect that isn't being utilised properly, albeit my original point has merit and remains.

I would generally look to develop him as next year's Dowell, given that the latter doesn't belong to us. There is plenty Zak can learn from him, and while not exactly the same kind of player I would look for him to step into that role

LyttleByLyttle - 13/9/2017 20:26

Murphy is the best striker at the club by far, and Brereton is getting good experience playing.

We're developing a unified squad using experience to bring through our youth, and folk are wanting to throw a fringe player in there who will likely be off at some point, and has no real future here, instead of developing our youth.

Crackers.

From the king of both backwards and crackers I'm inclined to bow to your superior knowledge.

However, Velios is only 25. He could have another good 6 years here and has made it clear that he wants to be in England. If he is here shorter than that it's because we've taken a blinkered view as to what he can offer.

Can you see Brereton being here for 6 years? I can't. So who are we developing him for and to what end? There's no guarantee he's going to kick on and at the moment his contribution is minimal in terms of goals.

I'm not criticising Ben. I think he's a great prospect that isn't being utilised properly, albeit my original point has merit and remains.

Totally agree about Vellios, less so about Brereton.

Brereton still has to learn his trade, and asking him to do the role of a seasoned professional like Murphy, on a regular basis, is asking to much, too soon.

That's why I think the way Vellios has been treated is all the more mystifying.

What you need to know about BRE/Alf is that he is as sane and rational as the next man; unfortunately for him, the next man happens to be fat Rob from Daventry.

Pope John XXIII - 13/9/2017 20:57

I would generally look to develop him as next year's Dowell, given that the latter doesn't belong to us. There is plenty Zak can learn from him, and while not exactly the same kind of player I would look for him to step into that role

I would not be surprised if that is what the plan is.

Zak covers far more ground than Dowell who can look a little like hes out for a stroll but on the whole I agree with you all

LyttleByLyttle - 13/9/2017 20:26

Crackers.

What percentage of foreign strikers stay at one club for 6 years?

The reason Vellios is not in the 18 is because at the moment there are better options, one or two injuries and that could all change its a long season, someone has got to be out of the 18 in a 24 man squad who would you swap Vellios with it could only be Murphy the rest of the players offer up multiple options positionally that Vellios doesn't, its a really tough one as Vellios has shown enough to feel hard done by but I can't see any alternative there is not much wrong with the starting XI or the bench from an attacking sense

Who knows?

Does it even matter?

As I've said above he deserves to start ahead of Brereton in my opinion. I've explained my reasoning.

LyttleByLyttle - 13/9/2017 10:05

Who knows?

Does it even matter?

As I've said above he deserves to start ahead of Brereton in my opinion. I've explained my reasoning.

I agree to a degree, perhaps Brereton will be rested later on and he will get his chance?

Certainly too good to be sitting in the under 23's

LBL makes an excellent point regarding Brereton, but what do you do? The club could be developing a gold mine or the player to shoot us into the premiere league, its the sort of situation that managers probably loose sleep over. It is a bit of a puzzle as to why Vellios seems to be getting frozen out though, something we don't know about?