Tesco Value Match Thread: Sunderland Vs Forest (No one would sponsor, not even Fawaz fridges) | Page 7 | Vital Football

Tesco Value Match Thread: Sunderland Vs Forest (No one would sponsor, not even Fawaz fridges)

LyttleByLyttle - 13/9/2017 22:05

Who knows?

Does it even matter?

As I've said above he deserves to start ahead of Brereton in my opinion. I've explained my reasoning.

It matters when the crux of your argument is that Vellios is more likely to stick around than Brereton for 6 years

What MW is doing with Brereton at the moment is exactly what he should be doing and had Vellios be treated as such at the same stage of his career would probably be in the team now

Brereton needs to learn to play in multiple positions if you want him as an out and out striker he doesn't start and his career falters and for the rest of his career he is battling it out for 1 place in the team in most places

If you think this Saturday is best served with Vellios on the bench and Brereton with the U23's with Mcdonagh then on that bench good luck to you but its absolute folly, there is one thing digging at Ben at every spare opportunity whilst claiming you are not but when it goes as far as suggesting Ben's opportunities should be restricted I think your suggested actions speak louder than words

Ben's doing brilliantly and there is hardly a kid of his age that doesn't have demons in his second season it was about this time in his career that Osborn got his arse kicked by Dougie and look how that turned out Brereton is nowhere near losing his form to that extent

Personally I would have had no objection to Ben leading the line from the start of the season.

Murphy has come in and done excellently.

Velios was very good pre-season. Poor against Shrewsbury. Other than that any opportunities have been limited and had him feeding off scraps.

Cummings has done very well when given proper game time but again this has been limited.

Tyler has taken the limited opportunities afforded to him.

Brereton has pretty much been picked regardless of form and contribution. Granted not always in his preferred role but this is clearly not a decision being made on merit.

Mark2310 - 14/9/2017 07:33

LyttleByLyttle - 13/9/2017 22:05

Who knows?

Does it even matter?

As I've said above he deserves to start ahead of Brereton in my opinion. I've explained my reasoning.

It matters when the crux of your argument is that Vellios is more likely to stick around than Brereton for 6 years

What MW is doing with Brereton at the moment is exactly what he should be doing and had Vellios be treated as such at the same stage of his career would probably be in the team now

Brereton needs to learn to play in multiple positions if you want him as an out and out striker he doesn't start and his career falters and for the rest of his career he is battling it out for 1 place in the team in most places

If you think this Saturday is best served with Vellios on the bench and Brereton with the U23's with Mcdonagh then on that bench good luck to you but its absolute folly, there is one thing digging at Ben at every spare opportunity whilst claiming you are not but when it goes as far as suggesting Ben's opportunities should be restricted I think your suggested actions speak louder than words

Ben's doing brilliantly and there is hardly a kid of his age that doesn't have demons in his second season it was about this time in his career that Osborn got his arse kicked by Dougie and look how that turned out Brereton is nowhere near losing his form to that extent

It wasn't the crux of my argument.

Try reading first.

I am getting a little frustrated with Brereton on the wing.
He is not the man to lead the line like Murphy, he is also someone MW obviously wants to develop with game time.
But surely Carayol offers more on the wing the Brereton.
Mendes was a better winger than Brereton and he had no end product.
Brereton is not used as a primary outlet wide, when McKay is playing the ball will nearly always head his way.
The kid has got great potential but I'd rather see him play more games from the bench than start.

It's about developing a player so he learns different facets of the game, it also nicely keeps him away from the spotlight just now...

Jimmy Gordon - 14/9/2017 10:09

Brereton looks very uncomfortable on the wing

Opposition fans have singled him out more than once as our biggest threat. Way below MacKay but probably second most prominently.

jbacsta - 14/9/2017 06:53

It is a bit of a puzzle as to why Vellios seems to be getting frozen out though, something we don't know about?

Something must have happened behind the scenes. He was playing pre-season for us, albeit not always full games, and was top scorer. So to go from that to not even in the matchday squad strongly suggests something has happened.

There was a rumour that Leeds wanted him but not sure on the accuracy on that one or whether that would have anything to do with it anyway.

For me, he should be involved.

PVH - 14/9/2017 11:10

jbacsta - 14/9/2017 06:53

It is a bit of a puzzle as to why Vellios seems to be getting frozen out though, something we don't know about?

Something must have happened behind the scenes. He was playing pre-season for us, albeit not always full games, and was top scorer. So to go from that to not even in the matchday squad strongly suggests something has happened.

There was a rumour that Leeds wanted him but not sure on the accuracy on that one or whether that would have anything to do with it anyway.

For me, he should be involved.

He's quite obviously not involved and there's no sign that he will be either.
There might be much more to it than we know and it's likely that we never will know but none of us is the manager either.
Anyway it's obviouse that he's wasted here now so I can't see him being here much longer.