Tesco backdated pay issue - n/g | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tesco backdated pay issue - n/g

You`re right SP, it will boil down to how the various job roles are configured and scored. A large organisation such as Tesco will certainly have a host of varied but detailed job descriptions clearly defined in order to work out skill-sets needed to fill posts and decide pay points. Considering the size of Tesco, it`s hard to imagine that they would not have carried out a formal equality assessment for every job description, prior to adoption.

Tesco has graded hourly pay rates and also operates a location pay band. Not sure what, precisely, the nub of the issue is but you`d have thought that the company`s own pay panel should be capable of sorting it out, rather than the matter being taken to a higher body.

Sounds like Tesco being too big for their Boots !

I think in the ASDA case what was the key decider for the store assistants was the value accorded to being customer facing . With the some of the drawbacks associated with that.

I think it will come down to different roles and how the contracts are worded - a warehouse role skill sets would be very different to a checkout operator.

Just remember who will ultimately pay for this - the consumer!

As a business we are trying to grade all jobs 1 to 20 across 10s of 1000s of employees in 76 countries - its a nightmare, even down to company cars which in the UK is part of packages and seen as a perk whereas in some European countries no one wants a car

Interesting how the feminazi brigade have hijacked this story to fit their completely untrue gender pay gap narrative when in actuality it has nothing to do with gender.

In terms of this issue, however, facing customers should be given more priority to a company in my opinion and also be more highly respected in society. We expect these people to treat us with the utmost respect and politeness and also to bend over backwards to make our experience as best as possible. And then we as a society look down our noses at these people in retail positions and pay them pittance.

Interesting discussion...

I run a business unit on behalf of a very large company and had an issue recently with one of my female internal sales people. She had been there a lot longer than any of the male sales staff but was on the same basic wage. The only difference was she had been on maternity leave twice....

If she hadn?t I am convinced her basic wages would have been higher than the men in the same job....

It?s not correct in my opinion but it still goes on in business where at times equality comes a long way down the list.

NedFlanders - 8/2/2018 07:19

In terms of this issue, however, facing customers should be given more priority to a company in my opinion and also be more highly respected in society.

That's not how things are going though, in the Tesco in Canary Wharf 95%+ of people go through the self scan tills. There is an Amazon supermarket in Seattle which doesn't even have checkouts, you just pick up what you want from the shelves, and then go.

Durham , you are probably correct when you state the cunsumer will end up paying. However the the big 4 supermarkets are losing customers to Aldi and Lidl. I use Aldi personally not due to prices but because they do not open in Dec 26th.
Tesco do have some questionable business practices towards their produce suppliers and local councils. With Asda not having the best reputation for their treatment of staff. Yes both are large private sector employers , but can contracts consisting of a total 4-16 hours be classed as jobs, in my book that is a hobby.

DurhamGills - 7/2/2018 18:25

I think it will come down to different roles and how the contracts are worded - a warehouse role skill sets would be very different to a checkout operator.

I've not worked for Tescos since my student days but I don't think the roles would have changed majorly, but the two roles back then were:

Warehouse role -
Got deliveries off the trucks and moved them into the warehouse where they would need to be sorted, stock checked and various logistical skills to make sure the various items were stored in the right place. Half the time the task was outside and shifts meant you were either starting hours before the store opened so that the night staff could finish stacking the shelves or working until midnight to get all the late deliveries into the warehouse rather than leave the stock outside.

Store Assistant -
Get trolleys from warehouse based upon the lanes they are responsible for and move the stock onto the shelves as necessary. There is some interaction with the customer which usually involves telling the customer to look down lane five when the item they want is in lane six. Some are trained to work the tills so will be required to switch to a cashier role during busy times. These people were usually paid more even if they didn't sit on the tills for that shift.

There were a lot of key differences between the roles which would have an impact on the wage rate. The fact the warehouse role work hours would merge into anti-social hours and the outdoors aspect would usual lead to a slightly hire wage rate in order to encourage people to apply.

It's not just checkout staff and shelf fillers in a supermarket though. What about the other departments? Bakery - start a 5, deli at 6, etc, and that was in the old days when shops opened at 8. You also need to know about all the stock you sell on your department. So as I've worked in various shops over the years and have family that work at the Asda depot, I know which role is more difficult and which staff are valued more, and they are not the same.

That must be my longest post ever.

myonlygillingham - 8/2/2018 11:12

Baghdad,. working outside or in freezers do not gain any value points by the way.

If Tescos need people to work in the warehouse and they aren't getting enough applicants prepared to work outside then they will increase the wage until people are enticed to apply. Jobs involving working the night shift tend to get paid more than those on the day shift as employers know people would only want to do the day shift. There are exceptions of course,

Teg64 - 8/2/2018 11:38

It's not just checkout staff and shelf fillers in a supermarket though. What about the other departments? Bakery - start a 5, deli at 6, etc, and that was in the old days when shops opened at 8. You also need to know about all the stock you sell on your department. So as I've worked in various shops over the years and have family that work at the Asda depot, I know which role is more difficult and which staff are valued more, and they are not the same.

That must be my longest post ever.

From my old experience, those in the bakery or fish counter would be on a different pay scheme.

Since someone working on the fish counter would presumably be trained to be able to fillet a fish of bones on customer request plus have training on hygiene then they were considered higher skilled.

Workers on the cheese counter were supposed to know about different types of cheeses and be able to recommend a good cheese depending on what the customer wanted cheese for their lasagna topping, part of a cheese board or to make various cheese sauces. In most cases this knowledge was learnt on the job.

For those in the bakery section where the breads needed to be (finished) baked fresh on site, they would need some training in bakery skills unless the worker was simply hired to fetch the Kingsmill from the back and put it on the shelves.

Back when I worked in tesco/somerfield/ sava centre, we were all on the same pay, I know this because I worked I the bakery and deli. Could be different now though.
I know the Asda depot staff are treated far better then the store staff, they get far more perks.

Baghdad: most warehousing is driven by bar coding etc with little manual intervention. Things have indeed changed since your student days.

Wayne.Kerr - 8/2/2018 22:36

Baghdad: most warehousing is driven by bar coding etc with little manual intervention. Things have indeed changed since your student days.

So how do the barcodes move the trolleys from the lorry to the warehouse? Barcodes don't have arms.

Baghdad_Rob - 8/2/2018 23:10

Wayne.Kerr - 8/2/2018 22:36

So how do the barcodes move the trolleys from the lorry to the warehouse? Barcodes don't have arms.

Like Wayne says, things have changed :17:

It is Warehouse work that the introduction of Robots will cause the most job losses. In a large Distribution Centre you are looking at a process where the only humans are sitting behind a screen,with the drivers performing the loading themselves.

Nothing new - I was putting in fully atomated lights out warehouses with wireless and robotic technology at least 20 years ago. Most new warehouses have caught up but it does depend on the size and complexity of the warehouse And how much pallet splitting and ?dispensing? is required.