Terry Cochrane, the biggest character ever to play for us | Vital Football

Terry Cochrane, the biggest character ever to play for us

I've never seen a former player mentioned as much as him, especially when it comes to most entertaining players etc. Before my time sadly, which recent players could you compare him to?

Terry Cochrane was brilliant, but i`d say that Damian Richardson takes some beating when it comes to big characters. He was also very down to earth and enjoyed a party out with the fans...

Big Ship?

Literally big and a great character. Played C Palace virually on his own one Xmas (circa 1975 iirc, lost 3 - 0).

Good call on Damien.

Not sure I would agree with the above .There have been so many real characters over the years .But just measuring on character the one that beats everybody is BFJ Stannard .It wasn't his ability I remember just the man himself .Others mentioned above like Cochrane ,Hess big Ship and Bayo come second to Jim in my book .The other name I would like to throw in the mix but still would not match Jim was Mark Saunders a fighter and about the only player I have ever seen put Hess snr in his place .Mark would soldier on with one leg .If ever I had to go to war I would want Mark by my side .Not the greatest players maybe but some of the great characters of our club .

John Hodge - cockeyed cheeky scouse winger who always featured in the stories from the old "eggers" about pulling pranks and the like, was a fantastic dribbler and crosser, and had very little appetite for tracking back and all that boring stuff.

Definitely my cult hero from my youth watching that cracking Gills side.

The guy we got in from the Swine . . . . . . was it 'Andy Duncan' (or similar) he played the clown occasionally. Certainly not the biggest character but a laugh none the less.
No one has mentioned Ade Pennock. Wonder why ?

Always thought Akinbiyi was a big character for us, he seemed twice as quick as the fastest defenders he was up against and always seemed to enjoy himself on the pitch.

Actually TC was pretty small :2:

My absolute all time favorite Gills player.

Not sure about the "character" bit though, but he was certainly different at times on the pitch. Sometimes he looked like he really couldn't be arsed. Other times he looked like he was toying with the opposition and just trying to show how much better he was. When he was "up and about" he was a true genius and a pleasure to watch. I think we were extraordinarily lucky to see him in a Gills shirt. If it wasn't for his oft talked about off field habits I think he would have spent his entire career in the top flight.

Davey Shearer I'd also put up there as a "character".

Surely the "biggest" character must be Tomas Holy at 6 ft 9 unless we've had anyone bigger. :14:

Arthurly - 15/11/2017 09:35

On his day Cochrane could be absolutely tremendous at our level. Maybe a poor mans George Best.

That's what I've always thought Arthurly (think I made a similar comment on another Cochrane thread). Socks rolled down and basically taking the p*** out of many a full back.

Deafbloke, I think you're getting Andy Ford (who we did indeed get from Swindon) mixed up with Colin Duncan who IIRC we got from Oxford. Both very no nonsense players from my favourite Gills era. Andy went on to manage Gravesend and Northfleet and Maidstone among others.

Another great character from a slightly later era has to be Karl Elsey with his famous "rocket" long range shooting. Scored 16 in two spells with the Gills (wiki) and I wouldn't mind betting about 10 of those were from outside the box.

BFJ is a great shout too